• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PAJN is a great place to fly into. The WX changes very fast. You might not want PAGS as an alternate as they don't have jet-a. PAYA can close in very fast as it is on the open coast. I wouldn't use PASG or PAWG as they don't have many services and can get ugly in and out (typically one way in and out). PAKT is always a safe bet with an ILS (just watch the g/s at 3.5 degrees. SIT is also pretty good, but I have shot an approach that ASOS was calling 10 and CLR, and we broke out at 500 MSL. Always plan on going to mins for every approach

Watch out for the little guys. most of the airspace is class G and Juneau is non radar below 20,000 or so. You can be a mins, break out and see guys flying into Juneau at 500 feet and getting a special VFR (after you have cancelled your IFR plan).

the famous cut, tune up Mendenhall and stay on the LOC until you see the needle swing, then a soft 20 degree bank left turn will get you wings level around 300 feet or so on final for 8. There is a VFR left downwind for 26, but I haven't done that. You might be landing and departing with a tailwind. Also if you do a VFR departure on 08 down the channel make sure you report to channel traffic on 123.05 (there will be several float planes and helicopters in the channel).

whatever you do do not turn left at mendenhal. that would put you into the terrain. im sure he ment right.

the trip went well, thanks for everyone's info...weather was marginal at best, but we made it in and out with no problems. I wish "we" (general aviation) could get our hands on and shoot those RNP approaches that Alaska Airlines does, those guys were in and out in all sorts of weather, fog, etc. Anyway I look forward to my next trip up there!

My boss wants to head up there in a Citation as well... When does the weather start getting nasty up there? Soon probably??

Anytime of the year can be below mins, or low IFR, and it can happen quickly too. And when you do not expect it.

Like the previous posters said the weather can be bad up there anytime of the year. By bad I mean low ceilings, fog, and ice. October, early November you can run into fog untill the ground gets cold.
Its a beautiful place that can turn bad real fast. One year I was on frequency with 3 different aircraft that collided with terrain.

Latest resources

Back