• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska profit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
<250nm is not exactly an efficient trip for a jet - any jet - even if you filled it up.

Whoa, slow down hoss. I'm glad AK owns Horizon, but it sux that most of the flights between the State of AK's two largest cities will be flown by props. Profits, good. Less mainline flying, bad. That is my point.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Ok. One last time------there is no less mainline flying. The 737s are not being parked but being put on better suited routes with greater yields. My guess is 2 or 3 daily flights to/from FAI will still be on the 737 but the majority will move to Horizon. Maybe they can use newly created capacity to increase frequency to Juneau or Salt Lake City. I dunno. The Spokane-Seattle market is pretty identical to how the ANC-FAI market will be. Most the flights are Horizon but 2 or 3 are 737s to move the bulk and they are usually pretty full.

Bye-Bye---Mamma

Ok. One last time------there is no less mainline flying. The 737s are not being parked but being put on better suited routes with greater yields. My guess is 2 or 3 daily flights to/from FAI will still be on the 737 but the majority will move to Horizon. Maybe they can use newly created capacity to increase frequency to Juneau or Salt Lake City. I dunno. The Spokane-Seattle market is pretty identical to how the ANC-FAI market will be. Most the flights are Horizon but 2 or 3 are 737s to move the bulk and they are usually pretty full.

Bye-Bye---Mamma

Wait, the -400s aren't being parked and being replaced by FEWER -900ERs? It's a gain in seats, but fewer planes, right? Amirite?

And the people in FAI also got cargo from some of those mainline flights from ANC I'm sure. Maybe only 2 or 3 flights a day can handle it. If not, let Yukon do it..... NAC has 737-300s and -200s that can do it for ya....

Bye Bye---General Lee

<250nm is not exactly an efficient trip for a jet - any jet - even if you filled it up.

So, should Hawaiian dump all their intra island 717s? Should they get Dash-8-400s too?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Sorry.. you are right. Dal will get all the A gates and I think concourse B, C, and D... And because you are so familiar you must know that we are talking about a gate gain of.. Ding ding ding.. oh three gates. It most likely will end up one or two. Looks like two more cute RJ's will be sitting out there soon. Since you seem to be a little slow on the uptake.. the gates Dal is negotiating for is all of the N and C. I hope that doesn't happen but you are right you are a revenue monster. There is a chance that flow of cash gives you the might to force something that just isn't right. In the meantime the PAJN dialogue is pretty funny.

The responses in the Juneau paper were humorous. Some locals apparently want DL to do the flight year round.

What you continually don't understand is that the first priority for SEA seems to be an INTL connecting hub, something you don't do. The Narita slots have lost value because the Japanese Govt has allowed Japanese LCCs to have slots, while not allowing DL an equal number of Haneda slots (funny though, NWA had all Haneda slots up until 1976, and moved to Narita at the request of the Govt). So, now DL can reach the same Asian cities from SEA, overflying NRT. So, instead of a connecting hub in NRT, put it in SEA. The domestic flights will mainly feed those flights, but at the same time it appears DL is courting big firms and the locals in SEA. I can see why that would make you nervous, but that wasn't the first priority I would think. Still, being a revenue monster helps this process.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Wait, the -400s aren't being parked and being replaced by FEWER -900ERs? It's a gain in seats, but fewer planes, right? Amirite?

And the people in FAI also got cargo from some of those mainline flights from ANC I'm sure. Maybe only 2 or 3 flights a day can handle it. If not, let Yukon do it..... NAC has 737-300s and -200s that can do it for ya....

Bye Bye---General Lee

What? No you are not right. 30 737-400/Combi/Freighters left. They are supposed to be gone by 2016 but the company is now saying that could change based on requirements---ie. stay longer possibly. 54 800/900 and MAX planes confirmed on order. Probably more to come. In addition, we are converting more aircraft into freighters to handle the belly loads in Alaska while Horizon takes the handfuls of passengers around Alaska. In regards to using NAC, here's a little info. Cargo requirements fluctuate greatly in Alaska throughout the year. Fishing season is huge but most other times of the year requirements are softer so we keep enough cargo ability to push through the fishing season but occasionally need surplus help from NAC. It is not economical to maintain a huge cargo fleet that ends up sitting idle in the winter and spring.

I think the relationship between Delta and Alaska will remain good. We offer good feed and Delta, by growing SEA, needs more than we can offer and also need a hedge should something happen to us. If they want to put a flight or two to Anchorage, Las Vegas or Los Angeles, then so be it. Competition always leads to an improved product (minus fare wars that is!) I think Alaska brought in $250 million in revenue from Delta code-sharing last year so I wish Delta well because their well-being means we do well also.

What? No you are not right. 30 737-400/Combi/Freighters left. They are supposed to be gone by 2016 but the company is now saying that could change based on requirements---ie. stay longer possibly. 54 800/900 and MAX planes confirmed on order. Probably more to come. In addition, we are converting more aircraft into freighters to handle the belly loads in Alaska while Horizon takes the handfuls of passengers around Alaska. In regards to using NAC, here's a little info. Cargo requirements fluctuate greatly in Alaska throughout the year. Fishing season is huge but most other times of the year requirements are softer so we keep enough cargo ability to push through the fishing season but occasionally need surplus help from NAC. It is not economical to maintain a huge cargo fleet that ends up sitting idle in the winter and spring.

I think the relationship between Delta and Alaska will remain good. We offer good feed and Delta, by growing SEA, needs more than we can offer and also need a hedge should something happen to us. If they want to put a flight or two to Anchorage, Las Vegas or Los Angeles, then so be it. Competition always leads to an improved product (minus fare wars that is!) I think Alaska brought in $250 million in revenue from Delta code-sharing last year so I wish Delta well because their well-being means we do well also.

Well, it will be interesting to say the least. Good luck to everyone...

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back