• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska profit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
http://www.thestreet.com/story/1226...face-the-delta-threat.html?puc=msn&cm_ven=msn

"It is our opinion that Delta needs Alaska more than Alaska needs Delta in the context of their code-share relationship given Delta's Seattle-Asia plans and Alaska's dominance in the Pacific Northwest," Keay wrote. "If Delta pushes too hard we wouldn't be surprised if Alaska finds solace in the arms of its other partner, American, at Delta's expense."

You do know Ted Reed, the author, used to work for USAir, which now is merged with.....you guessed it, American. Anyway, make sure you understand that before agreeing with him. Does it say where he wrote it? I think it's Charlotte. Why yes---look at the end of the article:

"Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C."

Hmmmmmmm......

Here's his bio:

Ted Reed
Transportation Reporter
RSS Feed Email This Author
Ted Reed covers the transportation industry. He previously covered the airline industry for 20 years for publications including The Charlotte Observer, Miami Herald and Sacramento Bee.

He also worked for US Airways, writing internal publications and speeches for the company's executives.

He is a graduate of Wesleyan University and holds a master's in journalism from Columbia University. He is the author of Carl Furillo: Brooklyn Dodgers All-Star, the first Furillo biography.

I don't know, does ANYTHING stand out above? ;) So, before you believe anything, just know the source, and then believe what you want, mmmm-Kay...

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

Can't be true then. I guess time will tell. My prediction, assuming DL doesn't litter SE AK with aluminum, 18-months, tops.

Can't be true then. I guess time will tell. My prediction, assuming DL doesn't litter SE AK with aluminum, 18-months, tops.

Reading his bio and noticing his tone towards US and AA, I'd say you might want to take that into consideration. But, maybe you believe everything you read on the internet. DL will supposedly be announcing more SEA INTL nonstops soon. You see, the NRT hub was good until ANA/JAL started using their own Haneda slots as INTL slots, and the Japanese Govt started allowing new LCCs into Narita, lowering the value of the Narita slots. You can do the same thing in SEA as you can in NRT, make it a connection hub to many Asian cities, and now overfly Narita. DL already flies nonstop from SEA to Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong (soon), etc. Looks like that will continue. This hub really isn't about competing with you guys, but it seems rather replacing another one. But, it appears there will still be a big build up, and that's good.

Bye Bye---General Lee

With all the extra gate space in Sea.. I bet the build up could be best described as massive. And well with Delta plugging some of those gates with crj900's well you get the picture.

You do know Ted Reed, the author, used to work for USAir, which now is merged with.....you guessed it, American. Anyway, make sure you understand that before agreeing with him. Does it say where he wrote it? I think it's Charlotte. Why yes---look at the end of the article:

Hmmmmmmm......

Here's his bio:

Ted Reed
Transportation Reporter
RSS Feed Email This Author
Ted Reed covers the transportation industry. He previously covered the airline industry for 20 years for publications including The Charlotte Observer, Miami Herald and Sacramento Bee.

He also worked for US Airways, writing internal publications and speeches for the company's executives.

He is a graduate of Wesleyan University and holds a master's in journalism from Columbia University. He is the author of Carl Furillo: Brooklyn Dodgers All-Star, the first Furillo biography.

I don't know, does ANYTHING stand out above? ;) So, before you believe anything, just know the source, and then believe what you want, mmmm-Kay...

Bye Bye---General Lee

That quote wasn't Ted Reed, it was Hunter Keay, who is a respected transportation analyst. Read the actual article again.

In a recent report, Wolfe Research analyst Hunter Keay questioned whether the hostilities between Delta and Alaska might set up closer cooperation between Alaska and American.

"It is our opinion that Delta needs Alaska more than Alaska needs Delta in the context of their code-share relationship given Delta's Seattle-Asia plans and Alaska's dominance in the Pacific Northwest," Keay wrote. "If Delta pushes too hard we wouldn't be surprised if Alaska finds solace in the arms of its other partner, American, at Delta's expense."

That quote wasn't Ted Reed, it was Hunter Keay, who is a respected transportation analyst. Read the actual article again.

Doesn't matter, Teddy created the article. He was a "speech writer" for USAir management. Please keep that in mind. If you need some pro-DL articles, I can come up with plenty for you. Remember, SEA seems to be a replacement for Narita if the Japanese don't allow DL to transfer rights to Haneda. (Funny, NWA used to have all Haneda slots until 1976?). The primary reason to build the hub is to offer connections to Asia. But, any internal growth on the West Coast is great for DL pilots. And Hunter Kaey says AK may go to AA? So what? It appears DL will fill in the blanks anyway.

Oh yeah, this was recent:

Delta named Airline of the Year by Air Transport World
Airline is first U.S. carrier to win coveted award in a decade

PR Newswire Delta Air Lines Jan 23, 2014 10:00 AM

ATLANTA, Jan. 23, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Delta Air Lines (DAL) has been named the 2014 Airline of the Year by Air Transport World magazine, the first time for a U.S. carrier in a decade.

The ATW awards are among the most coveted and valued honors in the airline industry. In February 2014, ATW editors will present the 40th Annual Airline Industry Achievement Awards at a celebration in Singapore.

"It's an honor to have the hard work of Delta people recognized with the Airline of the Year award from Air Transport World," said Richard Anderson, Delta's chief executive officer. "Our values and culture are the foundation for our success. The professionalism and commitment of Delta people to our company, to one another and to our customers is unmatched."

In selecting Delta as Airline of the Year, ATW editors cited leadership in several categories, including innovation and leadership by executive management; strong financial discipline; a consistent and excellent safety record; proven leadership in community, environmental and technological endeavors; consistent high standards of customer service; and excellent employee relations.

"The airline industry, here in the U.S. and globally, has never been as competitive, so when ATW editors make their Airline of the Year selection they focus on those airlines whose leadership truly stand out from the crowd through strong financial discipline, innovative thinking, superb operational and customer service standards, and excellent employee relations, said ATW Editor-in-Chief Karen Walker. "Delta clearly met all those standards and has demonstrable, measurable statistics to prove it. Delta and its employees thoroughly deserve this award and I congratulate them on their achievements."

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Even Parker said their first priority is to combine US and AA. At the current rate, that may take a couple years. That gives DL ample time for a SEA build up.

Bye Bye---General Lee

No other hobbies on the weekends, eh? Or did Mom lock you in the basement again with Ned, your gerbil?

Latest resources

Back