• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska management verbally announces furloughs for

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heard the same thing about only 75 being 'approved.' Rumor has it they only want to/have staff to crunch numbers for 75 early outs...

If I wanted out for real and wasn't in the 75, I'd be p1ssed...

It appears that management wasn't expecting the interest in leaving to be so high. Now their BS threat of a furlough is coming back to haunt them. They don't want too many people to leave because it will keep the airline from being nimble in the face of new opportunities.

They threatened a furlough to distract the negotiators, hold the junior guys hostage and maybe get rid of a few unknowns at the top. I guess they didn't figure that a hell of a lot of people could figure out ways to make more money elsewhere and just wanted to get out with an extra $100,000.

Lets just hope it's more fact than rumor. I'd love to see them have to hire again before next summer.

According to the MEC, EVP Greg Saretsgy just told a few "hand-picked" pilots that there would indeed be furloughs next month. This at a time when the negotiators felt they were very close to completely mitigating all furloughs through early outs, LOA's, and Line Sharing.

This is union-busting at it's finest. They think that they are going to break our will by taking hostages. All this does is make me more resolved in our position to not give an inch. In my opinion management is getting desperate, especially when you consider that yesterday analysts at Forbes predicted a profit for Alaska in 2008.

Last edited:
Any ounce of loyalty that GS thought he might have in this 'historic' airline of the great state of AK has just been flushed! I wouldn't move my flight bag from one a/c to another to help that SOB get back to the great white north. They want to play games w/ our lives - then I say let the games begin! Hostage nothin' - We'll see who is taking whom hostage!!

Baja.

If they are going to furlough by November, Greggggggggg is running out of time. The bids come out next week. They will have to sort it out by then. I believe Gregg is helping the Jr. guys by keeping the pressure on. Some of the LOA's and EO's might think twice about leaving if Line Sharing and part time lines are coming. Or Baja... are you that lucky to get furloughed again and bring me down with you?

I don't know if 5 furloughs for 6 airlines is lucky....All I know for certain in that I will have one heck of a wall display when this so called 'career' is over.

BTW - There is no way possible to have anyone furloughed by Nov. Good on our MEC for putting in good language for furlough in our contract.

Baja.

Baja... Lucky is pure sarcasm. I feel for you and your family having to go through this again. You should write a book about your experiences to convince the young folk that this is no fairy tale job.

They only want 75 Early Out Captains because they will have to incur training costs upgrading more FO's to CA (ETOPS in ANC at that). The EO is in place to prevent the expensive downgrade only.

Latest resources

Back