• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is that kind of like the Canadian NW Territories that are in the East? J/K. Good luck in hunt. Go to all the job fairs you can including OBAP (sp?) I hear it REALLY helps to get a face to face.

Baja.

LOL! Ya, I noticed it as soon as I posted it but I can not edit what I said incorrectly. Thanks for at least putting J/K at the end, that way I don't feel like such an idiot. In all reality, get me a job in Anchorage and I'll move there before you can say shazam! Thanks all for the encouraging words.

Just curious fly high, what is it about Alaska that makes it the only place you want to work?

Before we took our first vacation there I would probably ask myself that same question. After we were in there once, we were hooked. We want to live there and I want to fly there.

Before we took our first vacation there I would probably ask myself that same question. After we were in there once, we were hooked. We want to live there and I want to fly there.

Sounds good. I would apply to FedEx and UPS as well. They both have ANC domiciles that go pretty junior and their pay is much higher than Alaska's. Alaska is moving toward larger 737's that don't work out so well in the intra-Alaska markets, so the future is a little uncertain for the ANC crew base at Alaska. There is no limit on the amount of flying Alaska can give to "regional partners" (no scope protection at all) so when the 400's and combis go away it is highly doubtful you'll see 800's and 900's doing Nome and Barrow. Seasonally they will, but I don't see that happening year round. Those markets will be served by an airplane with an Eskimo on the tail, but it will also have propellers.

I agree with Singlecoil. Cloudy the future is for the ANC base.

If we don't see a 700 CQ or at least our remaining 700's based in ANC by 2016, then the base is all but gone. 800's and 900's just don't work in the bush.
As soon as the Govt runs out of money and stops EAS and bypass mail - then the only jet service in the State will be to JNU, ANC and FAI (and FAI will be seasonal). Not trying to be doom and gloom, but this State better get used to the idea of turbo props. Without a small(er) 737 and the ability to haul freight (combi or freighter), the era of jet service "in State" is history.

Are they still giving preference to Horizon FO's? Seems a little unfair, they require PIC time from everybody else?? Never understood that!

Word is that 5/8 that interviewed got the job of Horizon people. And to answer your question. With a 12 year upgrade and so much stagnation there has to be a light at the tunnel for going to Horizon. Your son must be at SkyWest or another regional?

I think perhaps OUR days of jet service in the state are numbered, but there are other operators who will pick up the flying we hand to them.

I agree with Singlecoil. Cloudy the future is for the ANC base.

If we don't see a 700 CQ or at least our remaining 700's based in ANC by 2016, then the base is all but gone. 800's and 900's just don't work in the bush.
As soon as the Govt runs out of money and stops EAS and bypass mail - then the only jet service in the State will be to JNU, ANC and FAI (and FAI will be seasonal). Not trying to be doom and gloom, but this State better get used to the idea of turbo props. Without a small(er) 737 and the ability to haul freight (combi or freighter), the era of jet service "in State" is history.

Word is that 5/8 that interviewed got the job of Horizon people. And to answer your question. With a 12 year upgrade and so much stagnation there has to be a light at the tunnel for going to Horizon. Your son must be at SkyWest or another regional?

Seems a little unfair to the Captains at QX that are in the trenches, I know a Captain who's been there 14 years, with over 12,000 hrs total time. The average FO hired by Alaska has less than 5 years and less than 5,000 hrs! No comparison on the experience!!

Neither on the kid thing!!!

I think management wants some minions they can rely on for a contract vote, remember they only need 50% plus that one Horizon FO that's greatful for a job!!!

(just kidding?!?!)

I agree with you fully regauding the CA, they should get first shot and second shot.. Please I hope they all go to AS or somewhere else but the upgrade is 12 years and no real change for it to go down anythime soon. The SIC to apply to AS gives some hope. Not many but some. to my knowledge only 1 FO has been hired since the furlough disaster in 08.
Furthermore, it seems, people that live in Gig Harbor have a much better chance to hired than any CA or FO.

Seems a little unfair to the Captains at QX that are in the trenches, I know a Captain who's been there 14 years, with over 12,000 hrs total time. The average FO hired by Alaska has less than 5 years and less than 5,000 hrs! No comparison on the experience!!

Neither on the kid thing!!!

I think management wants some minions they can rely on for a contract vote, remember they only need 50% plus that one Horizon FO that's greatful for a job!!!

(just kidding?!?!)

In my experience the guys from Horizon have not been susceptable to the Air Group Kool Aid. If that's what they are intending...I don't think it's gonna work.

Latest resources

Back