Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FLX757,

It seems like you're in the best position of anyone here to know:
1) What weight is given to a silver bullet? From what I have been told, it used to mean a guaranteed interview. If that was true, is it still true today?
2) How much emphasis is placed on ties to the Alaska route system?
3) Are they only going to interview 75 for the vacancies in the current bid?
4) Is any preference given to military? Or, after the recent activations, do you think military reserves will be avoided? (I heard that took a bunch of Alaska pilots away from the company for a while).

And...any other info you deem relevant would be greatly appreciated.

I am by no means the final word on any of this, and in fact am in no better position than any one else at Alaska to answer these questions. I just try to pass along anything that I may hear. Some of it turns out to be good info, some not so good. Also, I am in no way, shape or form connected with the hiring or screening process. Having said all that (disclaimer properly discharged), I will try to answer the questions...

I believe the silver bullet is given the same weight as in the past. It is hard to get hired without one. About the "guaranteed" interview part...it may be that everyone would be interviewed eventually, but with the company hiring in relatively limited numbers, there wouldn't seem to be enough current interview positions to go around for "guaranteed" interviews right away. How they weight the recommendations (if at all) and what other factors are in play in deciding who gets the call, I wouldn't know.

I can't comment on "ties to the Alaska route system". That reference is too vague. If you mean having flown for Horizon or one of the code-share partners in Alaska, etc...then I would think that would be a plus. There have traditionally been several Horizon pilots in each new hire class. How any of the other "ties" are viewed, I couldn't say with any certainty.

It is my understanding that the roughly 75 applicants to be interviewed are for this current bid. There are other applications that have been identified and are awaiting additional screening by the pilots who have been active in that regard to be used for subsequent future interviews.

As to the "preference to military"...I can only say that historically there has been a fairly steady percentage of military guys here. This stands to reason due to previous guys recommending their squadron mates, etc. I don't see this changing at all, and especially don't see them "avoiding" these guys. One pilot that holds a significant position in Flt Standards told me that he and several other senior pilots were asked to give their input on "setting the bar" for current and future applicants. The main thing they focused on was the type and experience of pilots who had made successful employees here in the past. Based on this info, I do not see them "avoiding" reservists. At the same time, I don't see any special preference, either. Other than what I've already mentioned. It is what it is....and that is that there are a significant number of military pilots here who have been successful in training and on the line, and they have recommended those who they think would be a good fit with the company and so on. However, there have also been very successful civilian pilots. Pilots who have flown in the bush in Alaska, pilots from Horizon, etc. I would expect these trends to continue also.

Finally, it has been several years since Alaska has interviewed and hired pilots. There is no "current" data or stats on who they are interviewing and who they are hiring. Once some guys come through then it might be easier to predict who MIGHT come through. For now, I can only guess based on the past.

I pretty much have events scheduled every day in Oct (and beyond) due to the current training requirements, so I may be somewhat removed from the goings on around here, but if I get any additional info, I'lll pass it on.

Since Alaska has a pilot base in LAX- any of you guys know of any crash pads around LAX that would be available in the next couple of months?

Formula 1

SeaSlam said:
My buddy just finished his interview yesterday. He was called last week on Wednesday and asked if he could be in Seattle for an interview on Tuesday. One big change he mentioned in the whole interview process was that there is NO SIMULATOR evaluation at all. Just a one on one interview with Celeste Green and Paul Majer. I guess there will be no more worrying over the dreaded Alaska sim check.

From what I hear, the sim check is not part of the latest interviews because of the short notice to fill an upcoming class...My guess is it'll be back!

I don't know for sure but I would be quite surprised if the sim check is done away with.

Formula1 said:
Since Alaska has a pilot base in LAX- any of you guys know of any crash pads around LAX that would be available in the next couple of months?

Formula 1

I heard a rumor that one crash pad is all the sorty old Winnebago's in the parking lot just to the left on short final for 25L.

Latest resources

Back