TOTAL 125

+ 3 order/planned
AVG fleet age 9.5 years

Stock value as of 3/ 22
62.85 per share
Value=4.420Billion

Last edited:
Interestingly enough

I was running the math with an American friend of mine prior to the USAir announcement (even thought we both knew it was coming) and the number of pilots for UNOCAL, and NorthDelta rolled in at around 11K to 12K each.

Combine USAir and AMR and you got about the same maybe higher (13K)

Take SWA 6000
AAI 1800
ALK 1400
HA 600
Jblue 2400

And now you've got roughly the same amount. I guess this is the consolidation we were all hearing about.

I keep hearing a lot about this Alaska rebranding. I know that management wants to get out of most of the small markets in Alaska, but would they really change the name? They tried to change only the logo a while back and their was a pretty big uproar from the state of Alaska, including some major investors that are still around. While I understand what their thought process on changing is, I don't believe changing the name would be a good thing. Thoughts?

Mr. Wien is no longer on the AS board, BK is no longer alive. Yes, I would put it about 70% name will change and Eskimo will come off the tail in the next 24. AS went to its Golds and 75k's and asked them... They for the most part didn't care. Same group was asked if we merged with another carrier would they stay. Worst #s were for SWA... Less then 40% said they would keep their plans with AS if that were to happen. That would make an AS WN merger a big loser if it were to transpire

And the Golds basically run our marketing department. Our Gold-members....��

I keep hearing a lot about this Alaska rebranding. I know that management wants to get out of most of the small markets in Alaska, but would they really change the name? They tried to change only the logo a while back and their was a pretty big uproar from the state of Alaska, including some major investors that are still around. While I understand what their thought process on changing is, I don't believe changing the name would be a good thing. Thoughts?

I think the eskimo stays.

I bet if we change anything we get a hybrid brand similar to Northwest Orient maybe Alaska Pacific or US Alaska or something like that.

I think to people from Alaska and the PNW the word "Alaska" has a positive conotation but to much of the country, "Alaska" is probably equivilant to Greenland, Iceland, or Antarctica...cold dark inhospitable place that you wonder why anyone would ever choose to live there and somewhere the more adventureous might go once in there life. Not a good image if you are trying to get people to buy tickets on your airline from the bay area to Hawaii.

That being said, I don't think it would be a good idea to change the name. People will/are getting to know it even though it might take a little longer. I guess my reasoning simply is, if it's not broken, don't fix it. Bankrupt airlines change their livery and change their names, moneymaking airlines don't dare to.

I think the eskimo stays.

I bet if we change anything we get a hybrid brand similar to Northwest Orient maybe Alaska Pacific or US Alaska or something like that.

I think to people from Alaska and the PNW the word "Alaska" has a positive conotation but to much of the country, "Alaska" is probably equivilant to Greenland, Iceland, or Antarctica...cold dark inhospitable place that you wonder why anyone would ever choose to live there and somewhere the more adventureous might go once in there life. Not a good image if you are trying to get people to buy tickets on your airline from the bay area to Hawaii.

That being said, I don't think it would be a good idea to change the name. People will/are getting to know it even though it might take a little longer. I guess my reasoning simply is, if it's not broken, don't fix it. Bankrupt airlines change their livery and change their names, moneymaking airlines don't dare to.

How about Guadalupe Holdings makes a return and purchases Alaska, Hawaiian, Jetblue and operates them as individual brands, although integrating the workgroups (if they play nice).

Latest resources

Back