• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would be THRILLED if I were an AK pilot with that kind of SLI integration. Consider where those top AK CA's would be placed if they got 500 on a DAL/AK SLI list.

Current CA Seniority that can hold following A/C:

747: 04-1958
777: 03-1489
330 SEA: 77-2657
737 ATL (most senior 737 base): 158-5667

The senior AK pilot would fit in at greater than 50 % on a 747 or 777!

Like Mookie tried to explain, tico is saying that you will have to be in the top 500 at Alaska to keep you captain seat. No one (except the truely ignorant sky gods) at Alaska assume they'll slot in with wide body captains.

Personally, I think a merger would just ensure I'll be a 737 (or smaller) copilot for a lot longer than I signed up for. Alaska upgrades would be pushed back and wide bodies won't be in our near future.

Alaska pilots might not have career expectations to fly a widebody, but we do have certain expectation of attrition and seniority progression (upgrades).

Like Mookie tried to explain, tico is saying that you will have to be in the top 500 at Alaska to keep you captain seat. No one (except the truely ignorant sky gods) at Alaska assume they'll slot in with wide body captains.

Personally, I think a merger would just ensure I'll be a 737 (or smaller) copilot for a lot longer than I signed up for. Alaska upgrades would be pushed back and wide bodies won't be in our near future.

Alaska pilots might not have career expectations to fly a widebody, but we do have certain expectation of attrition and seniority progression (upgrades).

Bingo....

Mookie

Good grief you guys are depressing. We are working for a company that is making money hand over fist. They have this printing press over at Angle Lake and it's making million dollar bills by the hundreds. We should have a new contract within a month that will not be consessionary and should put us near the top tier of 737 drivers when ALL sections of the contract are evaluated. Our stock price is through the roof so nobody in their right mind would even consider buying us. Our board and our senior management desire to remain independent. And to top it all off, the sun in shining in ANC with a forecasted high in the 70's today and I have the day off!
Why don't you choose to enjoy life a little fella's? Things are good right now - real good. I promise they won't stay that way, so enjoy it while it's here.
The last thing Delta wants to do right now is gobble up a tiny little 737 airline that is extremely expensive...

Good grief you guys are depressing. We are working for a company that is making money hand over fist. They have this printing press over at Angle Lake and it's making million dollar bills by the hundreds. We should have a new contract within a month that will not be consessionary and should put us near the top tier of 737 drivers when ALL sections of the contract are evaluated. Our stock price is through the roof so nobody in their right mind would even consider buying us. Our board and our senior management desire to remain independent. And to top it all off, the sun in shining in ANC with a forecasted high in the 70's today and I have the day off!
Why don't you choose to enjoy life a little fella's? Things are good right now - real good. I promise they won't stay that way, so enjoy it while it's here.
The last thing Delta wants to do right now is gobble up a tiny little 737 airline that is extremely expensive...

I SURE hope you are right! Unfortunately, management/BOD never seems to sing from the same sheet of music as us though...that is why this industry is a crapshoot. But none of us can do anything about it...so get out there and fill that freezer full of red salmon!

" Our stock price is through the roof so nobody in their right mind would even consider buying us. "

Market cap down 800 million in the last three weeks. Do you mean the basement roof?

I remember, not to long ago, when our stock was $16. That's when our CEO was shaking in his boots about a hostile takeover. Today's mid $50's to mid $60's, a little over a year after a split - I'm very sure we are not going to be bought.
I flew with an FO last month who dumped all his shares from his ESPP because the stock took a $5 loss. I asked him why, he said the sky was falling, I told him he should have waited a week or two, that there was no news that should effect our stock price. He said he had to get out now! A week later the stock went back up and hit the high note for the year thus far.
Nothing to see here, move along...but I sure am glad I didn't do what he did...
So - when we get back down to something in the 20's or less, then I'll start thinking about somebody taking us out. Until then, you are just blowing smoke.

"Until then, you are just blowing smoke"

As are you.
I hope for your sake you are correct. For me the jury's out.
Despite what Pravda says, I doubt our real competition is LCC's .
When the dust settles with the AA/US and UA/CAL mergers there will be four behemoths in the US airline industry. When that battle begins I'm not confident that we will be any thing other than collateral damage.
Want to see a glimpse of the future, just take a look at AA and DAL's recent moves in LA. Our response?
Being everyone's code share w@$&e has been fun. The problem is now our Clients want us to be exclusive. Not because we are their favorite girl, but because they can really stick it to the competition by taking us away.
Time will tell.

"Until then, you are just blowing smoke"

As are you.
I hope for your sake you are correct. For me the jury's out.
Despite what Pravda says, I doubt our real competition is LCC's .
When the dust settles with the AA/US and UA/CAL mergers there will be four behemoths in the US airline industry. When that battle begins I'm not confident that we will be any thing other than collateral damage.
Want to see a glimpse of the future, just take a look at AA and DAL's recent moves in LA. Our response?
Being everyone's code share w@$&e has been fun. The problem is now our Clients want us to be exclusive. Not because we are their favorite girl, but because they can really stick it to the competition by taking us away.
Time will tell.

Unfortunately, I agree with this...the BODs at AA/US, UA/CAL or DL will have no problem figuring out a way to absorb AK IF the numbers work. It is all about the numbers...

Latest resources

Back