• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran to take ATA Employees with Deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When your company enters Chapter 11, it is a statement that we did not succeed and have failed. That is the attitude that you have to have. Anything that keeps me in a job from that point on is a good thing. In a smaller business with less cash flow, you are looking up unemployment telephone numbers.

There is no merger here, no combination of assets, it was a fire sale nad Air Tran was buying. Hopefully that will give ATA some money to get out fo Chapter 11 with a new plan. Daley already got his moment of PR out of this now it is time to move on.

Publishers said:
When your company enters Chapter 11, it is a statement that we did not succeed and have failed.
Sorry sparky, but that's not quite right. It means MANAGEMENT has failed the EMPLOYEES and the TRAVELING PUBLIC. Also, it means that a reckless, stupid president has invaded a major oil producing nation under false pretenses, destabilizing world markets and the single largest industry in this country.

The business plans for every airline in this country are failing ones as a result of this - including SW and B6, they'll just have a little more time until their hedging contracts expire.

As for your advice, thanks, but no thanks. We have been around the block, most of us, and do not need your neophyte's idea of career planning.

I apologize for any insensitive remarks. I really was just talking about technicalities, which I guess take on a different meaning when it is your own job.

I really do hope that something better does happen from this for ATA.

Capt Seth,

While you have your views I have mine. If Airlines operated as if they had to make a profit and not as normal for years after the economy started it's fall under Pres Clinton, and we just took the oil as payment (not very nice) for Liberating a country (Iraq), then we would still have these isssues. Iraq is a very small producer of oil in the last few years in comparison to the world market. Other MiddleEast countries have increased output by large margins to makeup for Iraq. Oil is gaining in price because of the emerging market of both India and China. Supply and Demand, now how do you feel about ANWR?

Now back to your regularly scheduled forum in progress.

Last edited:
Naturally it is management that fails. I agree. They are paid to play the game and win it. When they do not, the company fails. The investors and employees lose. Totall agree.

Stupid president was just re-elected so not so stupid.

ATA was always a fringe player trying to find a niche.

The point is the same, does not matter whose fault, that day is behind us and now where do we go from here.

Here is an exerpt from the AWA MEC Chairman's message:
I have said before that there is a way for reasonable people to sit
down and make this integration work in a way that justly recognizes that
we are the acquiring airline and, as such, entitled to a greater benefit
than the ATA pilots. An integration that protects America West pilots’
career expectations and unequivocally provides America West pilots with
furlough protection while enabling a transition period to a
fully-integrated seniority list.
I'm not pleased with Captain Szmal's wording so I post this as a warning to my ATA colleagues. As I've written before, should a merger come to pass I'm in favor of an integration that is respectful and that doesn't grant a windfall to either side. Many will disagree with me as being too benevolent but that won't stop me from speaking out. My gut feeling is that those who share my views at AWA will be too quiet and defer to the louder stapling types. A great debate will ensue as to what constitutes sufficient protection for the AWA pilots and it will surely get ugly. I hate to say it but words of ill-will will also let fly (except from me).

Personally I consider it unlikely that AWA will be successful in a bid for all of ATA since we're needing to conserve our cash. I guess we'll know more in the coming weeks. Good luck, guys.

TWA Dude said:
As I've written before, should a merger come to pass I'm in favor of an integration that is respectful and that doesn't grant a windfall to either side.
TWA Dude, thanks for for your kind view on seniority integration. I suspect that your viewpoint is held by a small minority of the pilots at AWA. To be honest, if the tables were turned, I doubt that the pilots at ATA would be any more inclined to offer a fair integration to the pilots of an acquired airline. It's just the nature of the business. We roll the dice with a company, and hope it can carry us to retirement. Sometimes we win, sometimes we don't.

I speak only for myself, but I'm not sure I'd want to be integrated into the list. To be resented by the original AWA (or any acquiring airline) pilots for the remainder of my career, would make for a pretty lousy work environment. Obviously, to hold onto the seat that I've worked so hard to earn, or the respectable paycheck that comes with it would be nice, but I'm not sure the pain would be worth it.

So, I'm prepared to start over again (one last time). I've sent out the resumes and apps to the handful of airlines hiring, for which I'd be willing to fly. Old acquaintances are being contacted for letters of recommendation, and I'll just have to see what happens.

I hold no grudge against the pilots of any carrier. For the time that I'm able to extend the offer, you are all welcome on my jumpseat. Although don't be suprised when I hit you with 20 questions if you fly for a carrier that's hiring pilots.

Brad

TriStar_drvr:

You have a great attitude and it will help you live longer than those who go through mergers with eternal bitterness.
TriStar_drvr said:
TWA Dude, thanks for for your kind view on seniority integration.
While I certainly think of myself as a kind person my proclivity for a fair integration isn't meant as a gift. I think it benefits everyone.
I speak only for myself, but I'm not sure I'd want to be integrated into the list. To be resented by the original AWA (or any acquiring airline) pilots for the remainder of my career, would make for a pretty lousy work environment.
Obviously you'll do what you feel is best for yourselft but I think you're being overly pessimistic. Despite the way it seems on these message boards most pilots are rational enough to not take out their grudges on fellow pilots (yes, even AA pilots). The post-integration quality of life may not be as bad as you fear. Take care.

Tristar said:
I stand by the prediction the international LCC is the next big thing, and the airline that capitalizes on it will reap rewards.

BTC
Uhh....yeah. Like Sir Freddie Laker and his Skytrain......While your'e standing by your prediction, I predict Mikelson will take ATA back to it's roots, non-sked charters.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back