• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran to take ATA Employees with Deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While I wish nothing but the best for the ATA pilot group, there sure seems to be a lot of closed eyes, denial and wishful thinking going on. Then again, that has to be better than the reality of it all. But preparing for reality will have a much better outcome than hoping for a good fairy to come along and make everything ok.

Over the last 48 hours or so I have read numerous times on this thread that ATA is worth more as a whole than in pieces. I respectfully disagree. The value of a business is determined by it's profitability or maybe even return on equity. The markets decide what the company is worth at a specific point in time (sometimes accurately and other times not so).

It's not just the price of fuel and labor costs that have caused numerous airlines to enter into Chapter 11. Obviously, there is more to it. Perhaps the business plan is flawed or maybe it has to do with a combination of factors.

Chapter 11 is being used as a way to correct some poor decisions in the past. Saying that it is more valuable as a whole piece isn't accurate because if it were, it would be profitable and well run. It sounds almost as if what is being said is, "Let's get rid of this management and get bought out as a group of employees and suddenly we will become profitable."

No, what's being said is ATA has a turnkey Midwest hub, the ETOPS ops specs, and the ability to operate anywhere in the world today, as well as the ability to get back into the military charter market. I stand by the prediction the international LCC is the next big thing, and the airline that capitalizes on it will reap rewards. Cut it up and you lose the potential synergies of the whole. No, by itself ATA is too small and too isolated with only the MDW hub, but combine that with another carrier with a good (but not overlapping route structure) and you now have a real player.

BTC

I agree... Turnkey , assuming everything goes smoothly in the shift of flying from one color tail to another...?? Right... pretty optimistic that will happen.

Everything I hear is FL is going to do the flying and supplement with ATA equipment and crews... Like Ryan, Air Wis, Miami Air... bla bla bla... Nothing new here... same ol story at FL... expand using other folks stuff. Less risky that way.... ??

ATA is a great group. I would like to say that seniority would be merged and fences built... However, not gonna happen based on what I've seen them do in the past. ... dont wait for the lawyers to argue it out. I wish you all the best and would enjoy flying with any ATA stick.

I agree... Turnkey , assuming everything goes smoothly in the shift of flying from one color tail to another...?? Right... pretty optimistic that will happen.
A function of corporate cultures and willingness of the parties involved to find equitable solutions. Certainly it is a tricky proposition, but not an insurmountable one should both parties choose to work together. Whether anyone chooses to take said high road remains to be seen, but keep one factor in mind - MANY ATA pilots are refugees from other failed carriers, Braniff, Eastern, TWA, ect. These guys have been down the road before and don't necessarily care to repeat past mistakes. As a whole I don't think we are looking to shaft anyone (hey, there's always one guy in the crowd right?), just to be dealt with fairly, the way anyone else would hope to be treated in a similar situation. I agree, it doesn't appear AirTran has any interest in doing any of the above, which is unfortunate. We shall see . . .

BTC

Tristar sez:

Tristar said:

I stand by the LCC airline that capitalizes on it.

Cut it up.

ATA is too small and too isolated.

the MDW hub, combine that with another carrier with a good route structure and you now have a real player.

BTC

Hey, Tristar, just wanted you to see what your own comments look like, when taken out of context, like you did with mine.

In other words, you have no intelligent reply.

Your statements were taken as paragraphs, in the context you wrote them. If you do not like to overall tone that they give, perhaps you should choose your answers more carefully.

Not only did you take my text out of context, but completely altered sentences! Really, it's not even a case of taking things out of context, its a case of fabricating new material using a few choice words. For example:
I mean, come on we're buying your airplanes. You guys will continue to fly for AirTran. Would you like my number?
That is what you did to my statement. Note: the above quote is a complete misrepresentation of Ty's words - to be fair here is what he actually said:

I mean, come on.. . . . . We're not buying any of your airplanes. You guys aren't even parking the airplanes, and you will probably continue to fly these routes for a year or so, while your company finds other routes to deploy them on, which may or may not compete with AirTran's routes.

Also, you would have to resign your ATA number . . . what if ATA redeploys your airplane on other routes . . . . . are you still going to give up your ATA seniority then, and come to AirTran? Should we hold a spot for you? Would you like my number, while you make up your mind? This discussion is just ridiculous. Unless we buy some of your airplanes, it's a waste of time.

Here is how I quoted Ty:

. . . I mean, come on.. . . . . We're not buying any of your airplanes. You guys aren't even parking the airplanes, and you will probably continue to fly these routes for a year or so, while your company finds other routes to deploy them on, which may or may not compete with AirTran's routes.
You be the judge . . .

BTC

The enemy is at the gates.....

.....and it's us!

Tristar said:
Your statements were taken as paragraphs, in the context you wrote them. If you do not like to overall tone that they give, perhaps you should choose your answers more carefully.

The quotes you took were out of context because they gave no indication what each paragraph was posted in response to, and combined them in a way that was designed to make them appear more inflammatory than they were.

I understand that for ATA pilots, this is a huge and extremely sensitive issue. I would be very upset with the situation, too.

You don't have to agree with my interpretation of this sale of gate leases and slots, but accusing me of "pontificating" and "being idiotic" is not going to do anything to further relations between our pilot groups, that is for sure.

You don't have to agree with my interpretation of this sale of gate leases and slots, but accusing me of "pontificating" and "being idiotic" is not going to do anything to further relations between our pilot groups, that is for sure.
Point taken, and for that I will apologize.

BTC

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back