• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Airtran Fanatic

Just Sharing the good news...

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060630/nyf014.html?.v=61

AirTran Airways to Add 2,500 Jobs in Georgia Over Next Five Years
Friday June 30, 10: 00 am ET
- Airline Joined by Governor Sonny Perdue for Announcement -

ORLANDO, Fla., June 30 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AAI - News), the parent company of AirTran Airways, today announced it will add an additional 2,500 jobs in Georgia over the next five years. AirTran Airways announced its anticipated contribution to the Georgia workforce during an event with Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue in the airline's hangar at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. The airline currently employs more than 5,200 of its 7,700 Crew Members in Georgia and plans to create 500 new positions every year for the next five years.

"As a company that has thrived in Georgia, AirTran Airways is proud of our strong and growing contribution to the state's economy," said AirTran Airways chairman and chief executive officer Joe Leonard. "Our plan to create 2,500 new jobs demonstrates AirTran Airways' long-term commitment to building the Georgia workforce and serving the people of this great state."

AirTran Airways, which currently operates 230 flights out of Georgia each day, plans to add more than 80 new Boeing 737s to its fleet in the next five years and add new routes throughout the country. This means more flights into and out of Atlanta and new Crew Members to accommodate the increase in service, including pilots, flight attendants, mechanics, ramp agents and customer service representatives.

"AirTran Airways' dynamic growth demonstrates that Georgia has the right resources for businesses to succeed in our state," said Governor Sonny Perdue. "This airline is setting the standard for profitability in the aviation industry, and it is showing tremendous confidence that it will continue to thrive in Georgia."

It is estimated that AirTran Airways saves Georgia consumers more than $1 billion dollars per year by keeping fares across the market low for business and leisure travelers. The airline has also made large investments in infrastructure throughout Georgia from a multi-million dollar hangar to multiple call centers that employ hundreds of Crew Members.

AirTran Airways, a Fortune 1000 company and one of America's largest low- fare airlines with more than 7,500 friendly, professional Crew Members, operates nearly 700 daily flights to 50 destinations. The airline's hub is at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, where it is the second largest carrier. AirTran Airways' aircraft features the fuel-efficient Boeing 737-700 and 717-200 to create America's youngest all-Boeing fleet. The airline is also the first carrier to install XM Satellite Radio on a commercial aircraft and the only airline with Business Class and XM Satellite Radio on every flight. For reservations or more information, visit

So does this mean the likelyhood of any other domiciles other than ATL are out of the question? Man, I sure wish they would decide to open a crew base a little closer to God's country - (KANSAS!):)

Good news for us. Surely another domicile is coming...ATL can't handle much more. Why we don't have a virtual base in MCO is beyond me.

180ToTheMarker said:
Good news for us. Surely another domicile is coming...ATL can't handle much more. Why we don't have a virtual base in MCO is beyond me.
Virtual Base...
uhhh...how about a Full base instead? That way, the Company will be forced to support the base rather than shutting it down again.

DonVerita said:
Virtual Base...
uhhh...how about a Full base instead? That way, the Company will be forced to support the base rather than shutting it down again.

That would work too.

Wish they would drop the 500 Part 121 PIC. I have 5 recs. from airtran pilots I've flown with at a previous company. I've got 1500 turbine PIC but it's all part 135.

Latest resources

Back