AirTran to add 2,500 jobs in Georgia over 5 years

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
rk772 said:
Wish they would drop the 500 Part 121 PIC. I have 5 recs. from airtran pilots I've flown with at a previous company. I've got 1500 turbine PIC but it's all part 135.

Its my opinion, but I think the company wants people with 121 PIC experience in part because the upgrade is so quick (3 years or so).

180ToTheMarker said:
Its my opinion, but I think the company wants people with 121 PIC experience in part because the upgrade is so quick (3 years or so).

I don't get it. What makes a 121 pilot better then a 135 pilot? Thats basically what you are saying. If I am misreading you then I am sorry. But, that's how you are coming off when you say something like that.

Stealthh21 said:
I don't get it. What makes a 121 pilot better then a 135 pilot? Thats basically what you are saying. If I am misreading you then I am sorry. But, that's how you are coming off when you say something like that.
It may be an insurance thing, or it may be a KG thing. Either way, it is the company policy not unlike the requirement that SWA has for the type. Does it make their pilots better able to succeed in training and ultimately fly the 73 the way they want them to? Maybe. Is it a requirement to get the job? Absolutely.

Stealthh21 said:
Didn't mean it that way...I am assuming the reason is because of short upgrades. Perhaps the bust rate is better among those with 121 backgrounds. Perhaps the company feels safer with both captain and FO having 121 experience. I honestly don't know. It has less to do with stick and rudder skills and more to do with decision making, etc. BTW, I flew 135 for awhile...it is a tougher gig than 121 is.

Last edited:
Actually, the 91/135 guys hired in the last 5 years that I know (prior to the 121 requirement) all made it through newhire training and ALL passed Upgrade the first time, which you cannot say for the strictly 121 guys.

Personally, I think the requirement comes more from a lack of familiarity with the 91/135 world.

The large 135 operators and the frax are every bit as standardized and have just as high quality training as the 121 operators . . . and sometimes even more so, in my humble opinion.

Latest resources

Back