AirTran thoughts on Kelly's Disposal of SL10

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Full of luv-

I have no crystal balls- what I'm saying is that if you're an airline pilot and choosing an airline based on domiciles- that's not a long term great idea- esp when that company is a distant #2 in the legacy fortress hub that you desire and your airline is small enough to be a takeover target.

You have issues with these realities I've pointed out?

Takeover target. Tell me more about that. Everyone has merged, how big should I shoot for to avoid a takeover. I understand China Air has pretty deep pockets.

Full of luv-

I have no crystal balls- what I'm saying is that if you're an airline pilot and choosing an airline based on domiciles- that's not a long term great idea- esp when that company is a distant #2 in the legacy fortress hub that you desire and your airline is small enough to be a takeover target.

You have issues with these realities I've pointed out?

Hey, that's life, stuff happens! But to say that an AT pilot should have forseen a probable domicile change is a little out in left field.
If I were an AT pilot, I would have assumed (obviously wrongly) that I would hold ATL for my career assuming that if someone did merge/buy us they would maintain a large ATL presence. Like if AS and AT had merged for instance. Instead SWA happened and it changed the landscape for quite a few. Renumeration wise, probably for the better, commute wise, not so much.
Aloha,
LUV

Problem is ATL has 1600 pilots. The company has mentioned ATL having 550 pilots. I imagine a large amout of SW pilots would also want ATL.

Problem is ATL has 1600 pilots. The company has mentioned ATL having 550 pilots. I imagine a large amout of SW pilots would also want ATL.

I would say yes and no. Just being on this side of the partition not many people would care for ATL. Maybe some BNA people.

It's not my point that anyone should have foreseen anything. But history, statistics, and an environment of consolidation should have told you something.
I've learned that an airline pilot, as in business, must be prepared for almost anything. Think I'm out there buying new cars and boats?
We all do our best navigating this industry- but the naive view that any pilot can expect something as fickle as a domicile to remain for an entire career is irresponsible.
And it doesn't take a merger.
You know how many friends of mine chose American for their stability, financial strength, and the SFO base??

It's not a blame game I'm playing here. It's a "youre a pilot, grow up" thing. You might have to move a few times in unexpectedly if you take on a career in the transportation industry. You'd have to if you were a banker as well. At least here you have the option of commuting.

Last edited:
I agree with you Wave. Its unusual not to have a fence in mergers but that's what we voted yes to (with lots of encouragement). So it becomes a talking point. The actual number of AirTran pilots who live in ATL, ancestors fought in the civil war, went to UGA for 4 or more years and have kids in school is going to be very small. Under 400 peeps. Housing market might be the toughest part of having to move, but hopefully those in that position make it up on the new house they buy. I guess we will find out.

Housing market might be the toughest part of having to move,

This is the big issue...I hope the company makes ATL a base...heard rumors of TPA (as a base) which would take some of the pressure off MCO and ATL...

Latest resources

Back