• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran takes top AQR spot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hmmmm . . . . not sure what this says about the industry :rolleyes: . . . . .

I do have to say, though, that there has been a lot of improvement in the ATL Ramp operation over the past year or so, and they have hired some Agents that have more people skills than in previous years.

The glue that holds it all together, as we all know, is the Pilot group, but after three years of "old school contract negotiating tactics", management has destroyed much of the goodwill that used to exist.

The previous Cantract Offer from management showed their desire to operate AirTran like a Regional Airline . . . . one only has to look at the bottom of that AQR report to see where the regionals ranked.

TW

Good point on the agents. Better management has been hired on the Cust Serv front in the last year to take care of the problems. Being in the top 3 each year in least amount of lost bags is great too...

I'd like to think my 4+ years at the Citrus has helped with the continued transformation of this airline. I know a bunch of hard working non-pilot "crew members" though who'd like to think they're part of the "glue" too...a lot of people working overnights in the tower making sure things are place for the next day, agents pulling doubles, IROP people checking all the close connections, etc...

Don't get me wrong, AirTran has some great FA's. A few I still keep up with however more often than not(and maybe it was my bad luck) I had to walk on eggshells as to not offend anybody. I'm talking about the 0500 van rides where they are on their 500.00 cell phones talking to God knows who on the other end at that time of day etc. etc. Not that we don't have that at CAL(especially new ones in the EWR). Anyway, this was not to start a my airline is better than your airline thread. I was actually kind of joking with my initial post. Congrats AirTran.

I'm always thinking the same thing. Who the hell are they talking to that early? You know you miss flying with "The Supremes" every day. ;)

I'd like to think my 4+ years at the Citrus has helped with the continued transformation of this airline. I know a bunch of hard working non-pilot "crew members" though who'd like to think they're part of the "glue" too...a lot of people working overnights in the tower making sure things are place for the next day, agents pulling doubles, IROP people checking all the close connections, etc...

I don't mean to "take away" anything from the deeply committed people in a variety of departments who make this a much better operation year-over-year in ways that are obvious to myself and others . . . .

What I am getting at, though, are things that you would have to be at an outstation at 0440 local to see, or at 0200 local when ATL is turning into "the fall of Saigon in slow motion" after a squall line has passed, or even just getting a 5 hour-long flight into ATL, followed by a C1 to D1 "Trail of Tears" trek that is supposed to result in a 35 minute turn (or less) . . . . most of us are committed, problem-solving types who want to make this operation happen smoothly, and have to take the initiative on a daily basis to make things happen on-time, and the results are apparent (for those who want to see it).

If the pilots finally get frustrated enough to stop doing all those extra things that they historically have done, even when they are "off the clock", you may be surprised to see the difference . . . . and for the particularly-dense types out there- no, I am not talking about a "job action", I am just stating the obvious- if you keep kicking the pilots in the nuts, eventually, even the most dedicated types give up. You don't even have to be Madam Cleo to see the future- just look over on the north side of Concourse C to see what happens when you treat your pilots like crap (no offense to the hard-working ASA pilots- you guys deserve much better, and I understand your frustration).

TW

Last edited:
I don't mean to "take away" anything from the deeply committed people in a variety of departments who make this a much better operation year-over-year in ways that are obvious to myself and others . . . .

What I am getting at, though, are things that you would have to be at an outstation at 0440 local to see, or at 0200 local when ATL is turning into "the fall of Saigon in slow motion" after a squall line has passed, or even just getting a 5 hour-long flight into ATL, followed by a C1 to D1 "Trail of Tears" trek that is supposed to result in a 35 minute turn (or less) . . . . most of us are committed, problem-solving types who want to make this operation happen smoothly, and have to take the initiative on a daily basis to make things happen on-time, and the results are apparent (for those who want to see it).

If the pilots finally get frustrated enough to stop doing all those extra things that they historically have done, even when they are "off the clock", you may be surprised to see the difference . . . . and for the particularly-dense types out there- no, I am not talking about a "job action", I am just stating the obvious- if you keep kicking the pilots in the nuts, eventually, even the most dedicated types give up. You don't even have to be Madam Cleo to see the future- just look over on the north side of Concourse C to see what happens when you treat your pilots like crap (no offense to the hard-working ASA pilots- you guys deserve much better, and I understand your frustration).

TW

Wow. The same can be said of jb.

We were talking about this list in the Tower (ATL) last night. Very interesting since essentailly TRS and ASA get the same qulaity ATC service from us out of ATL, which is both airlines principle and only hub. And since both primarily park on ramp 3 & 4 (so we assume they get fairly standardized service from that notorius ramp tower). So, what's the difference? Why did TRS score so well in terms of on-time performance and baggage, and ASA do so poorly?
People in high places at ATL want to know!

We were talking about this list in the Tower (ATL) last night. Very interesting since essentailly TRS and ASA get the same qulaity ATC service from us out of ATL, which is both airlines principle and only hub. And since both primarily park on ramp 3 & 4 (so we assume they get fairly standardized service from that notorius ramp tower). So, what's the difference? Why did TRS score so well in terms of on-time performance and baggage, and ASA do so poorly?

Cause we rule dawg!!!

I'd put our stews up against yours anyday.

You got that right, although our stews have been improving in the two years I've been here.
Had one playing videos on his phone with the volume on high in the early am van ride yesterday, almost grabbed the phone and threw out of the window, one day I will.:uzi:

So, what's the difference? Why did TRS score so well in terms of on-time performance and baggage, and ASA do so poorly?

Have you ever been to the north side of D-con. D-con?...Isn't that a mouse/rat poison? That's kind of funny... anyway, its not saying much that you're the best because everyone else sucks. Although I'm sure MCO will use this to justify bigger bonuses while TRYING to gain concessions from the Pilots.

That is a good question, but I if I had to guess it probably comes down to the way the airlines are managed. I know from my previous regional airline experience that regional airlines aren't responsible for attracting and keeping customers. That is the mainline's job (to a point). Since regional airlines usually operate under long-term service contracts with their mainline partner that guarantee a set price for their service, the urgency to attract and keep customers isn't as prevelant as it is at AirTran. At AirTran the ability to attract and keep customers is the lifeblood of our operations, because without that ability we won't stay in business too long. Now sure the mainline partner can cancel a service agreemnet for failure to perform (as we have seen with mesa and Delta), but that usually gets the regional partner to do just enough not to be terminated which isn't enough in the customers eyes.

Let me ask some more stupid questions....but doesn't DAL handle the all baggage and customer service stuff for ASA at ATL? Also doesn't DAL set the schedules via their marketing department for ASA (you know those riduculous 30 minute turns on ramp 4 - shoot that ramp tower can't even find the RJs a place to park inbound that fast)? And if what we here is true, then why doesn't DAL get some of the negative credit for ASA's ineptitude?
Just curious.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back