Airtran Scheduling cost company millions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

scarlet

Airtran needs to look at Sch. Department, before they ask anyone for paycut. New Revenue=Airtran

Pilots removed from orginial trips to cover what reserves should do.

My Captain, taken off from 8 legs to go do four legs, with one DH and then a reserve DH to my city to do 8 legs and very high time 2 day. My cpt. pay protected for the whole trip, and he ends up in ATL for layover and gets hotel.

This stuff is happening EVERY DAY !!!

Airtran needs to look at Sch. Department, before they ask anyone for paycut. New Revenue=Airtran

Pilots removed from orginial trips to cover what reserves should do.

My Captain, taken off from 8 legs to go do four legs, with one DH and then a reserve DH to my city to do 8 legs and very high time 2 day. My cpt. pay protected for the whole trip, and he ends up in ATL for layover and gets hotel.

This stuff is happening EVERY DAY !!!
"You are just a pilot! You don't see the big picture. You should just focus on what you are doing in the cockpit. Let us take care of the company, we know what's going on, you don't! Do your JOB!"
I imagine every pilot who reads this has heard this in some form. It is sad because the NPA System Schedule Committee (SSC) should be auditing scheduling every month. They should be getting information on the number of down-line drafts and junior assignments and re-assignments each month. They should be auditing Deadheads as well. They should be doing all of this to make sure our schedules are as efficient as possible therefore saving the company money. The NPA and their committees need to learn that when they address the company put it in a dollar figure and how much it is costing the company or saving the company in dollars! That is the only thing any executive will understand. They don't give two cents about your quality of life or how many days you have off or all the other things we squawk about. We as pilots need to stop thinking like blue collar labor and start talking dollars and cents and use that to win our arguements! If you can show the CEO how scheduling is costing the company millions of dollars and present it to him in writing with hard facts, perhaps some things can be changed. I know if I were a shareholder and someone was presenting to the CEO how one department was costing the company millions of dollars because of incompetence, I'd sure want to know how he was going to fix it. Unions in the 21st century have to change the way they approach these people. Just a thought!

Until airlines start to invest $$ in qualified people that have some intelligence AND desire in scheduling departments, they will ALWAYS waste $$ and flight crew time! Don't bother complaining about it here though since every one of us experiences the same at our own airlines...just makes you sound like a whiner. Of course, if you do the aformentioned to the CEO then I would listen to your complaint anytime.

Having worked in Airtrans SOC in a past life, and used all of there systems, I would say to any pilots out there to go spend a day in the SOC and see how scheduling and dispatch has to juggle schedules, aircraft to accomodate call in's, broke planes, late planes, diversions etc... thoses people in there do a remarkable job keeping things moving in light of all that happens everyday..
I am not saying they are perfect, not saying mistakes happen, but considering it takes a lot of good judgement from many sources to make the daily adjustments, it's pretty remarkable..

Once you do that, you will gain a different perspective to guage your opinions and provide ideas for improvements to those that will listen.. People like Sonny have been in the business for many years and his top priority it to do it safe and do it as cheap as possible... JMHO

Having worked in Airtrans SOC in a past life, and used all of there systems, I would say to any pilots out there to go spend a day in the SOC and see how scheduling and dispatch has to juggle schedules, aircraft to accomodate call in's, broke planes, late planes, diversions etc... thoses people in there do a remarkable job keeping things moving in light of all that happens everyday..
I am not saying they are perfect, not saying mistakes happen, but considering it takes a lot of good judgement from many sources to make the daily adjustments, it's pretty remarkable..

Once you do that, you will gain a different perspective to guage your opinions and provide ideas for improvements to those that will listen.. People like Sonny have been in the business for many years and his top priority it to do it safe and do it as cheap as possible... JMHO
I don't think the author is ranting on the individual employees in SOC, Dispatch, Scheduling or whatever. Rather, he is saying that there has to be a BETTER way to do the job they are doing. There is. Spend the money to get better software, computers, training or whatever it takes. In addition, he is dead on target with the auditing statement.

You can not fix what you can not measure. Auditing holds people accountable.

I agree..

Until airlines start to invest $$ in qualified people that have some intelligence AND desire in scheduling departments, they will ALWAYS waste $$ and flight crew time! Don't bother complaining about it here though since every one of us experiences the same at our own airlines...just makes you sound like a whiner. Of course, if you do the aformentioned to the CEO then I would listen to your complaint anytime.

I was probably thinking about this posters comment more than the thread starter..however, I do agree with you when it come to software upgrades etc.. I would think, that these options are obvious fixes, but maybe I am wrong with Airtran.. never the less, I think every SOC in the US fleet attempts to do the very best they can with the tools they are given to use..

As I use to jumpseat everytime I was allowed to get a feel for the crews days, I still would like to see the crews drop in for a day in the life at their SOC..

Here is a solution.... maybe scheduling should at least "consider" a pilot's suggestion before saying.. "nope, not going to do it... because I said so."

They have to keep tract of thousand's of pilots. We keep track of one or maybe two (if you are stalking someone).

One of the problems is the time crunch. I have found, that maybe, just maybe if you calmly, politely explain your suggestion and then give them enough time to check it out and call you back later that they may go for it.

"Hey, I am DH to XYZ then flying to ABC and then DH to XXX while the orginal CA is DH in the back. I understand that you are DH the CA so he doesn't 30/7, but wouldn't it make more sense to do this.... (DH to ABC then fly back to XXX) so I only have to do one DH instead of two?

Give them about an hour to figure it out.

Then they will still say No. BECAUSE THEY ARE LAZY! The plan was already put into effect because someone else figured it out and they DON'T WANT TO BOTHER even if it is more efficient and makes their job easier in the long run having another reserve around instead of DH all over the country.

LAZY, LAZY, LAZY. - Even when someone else does the thinking for them. It's already done, why should I change it? I have other things to do - like watch reruns of Jerry Springer.

Last edited:
I was in mem on a ground stop. CS called me to tell me they were re crewing my atl/clt turn, and I would just fly my ron to BMI later. when I arrived in ATL I was getting off the plane I asked the crew where they were going. They replied CLT, It was My turn they were taking! I just laughed and shook my head. Let my clarify, I laughed after I checked to make sure I was pay protected.

I have many stories like this, and I'm just one person. 1 4hour pay protection for 1 capt $500.00
If it only happens once a day, thats 182,500 per yr

Last edited:
Sorry...

I feel sorry for you guys, but I was never paid by the hour so far. Guess was lucky. Downside is though that when you work hard you do not see extra pennies either...But at least this way you have a stable income.

Broken in CVG.. your right as well

Again Your right.. as a dispatcher, I am more than willing to listen to my crews suggestions and discuss alternative and changes.. In general, scheulers at the regional level are just learning and being told to do it a cerain way.. they become uncomfortable working outside the box.. I have seen a noticable difference at more, how shall I state it, advanced operations like Airtran and others, where the schedulers are willing to and do work with crews if they can.. what I have seen however is that the days work has degraded to a point where everyone is playing catch-up or repairing the schedule to midigate negitive waterfall effects to the schedule, looking days in advance of that moment.. so what Might seem obvoius to you at the time, is not something that can be fixed..

I would suggest to speak to the scheduling supervisor if you have a situation that makes sence to you as a money and time savings issue and see it that person can see if it works with the days game plan... Everyone needs to be heard, but everyone also needs to understand what might be going on on the other end of the phone....

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back