• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran Scheduling cost company millions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I stoped trying to help. I'm tired of being treated with disrespect, If they want those people to run the show, fine by me. I usually make more money that way with less stress.

where the schedulers are willing to and do work with crews if they can..

Doesn't happen here.

Sorry, the benefit of the doubt is long gone. When pilots are reported to the CP's office for not answering their phones, and the reason they aren't is that they are HOLDING over a fix, wasting gas for gate congestion, then crew scheduling has no clue, period.

This kind of stuff happens at every airline and or company. Some that I have worked for were very receptive to the new ideas and some not so much. Here at big brown contingency pretty much runs everything and these freaking people don't have ANYONE to answer to....... so they do as they wish.

When I first started here, contingency launched a 727 hot crew to DSM to take a part for ops over there.... when I saw one of the top contingency guys, aka "the circle of geniuses" I asked how much a launch like that costs the company and he said roughly around 20K, but he said it was worth it to save the sort and packages. I asked him then why didn't he just launch a lear for 3K and save 17K? I will never forget what came out of his mouth next.....
"Well, if I launch a lear then that 3K would come out of contingencies budget, but if I launch the 727 hot, that comes out of flight ops budget". :eek:

You could imaging the look on my face when I figured out that he was fu(king serious...... how can you argue with someone that is so fu(ked up in the head like that and in such a position of power? The answer is... you don't...

This kind of crap happens all the time here and the stories just get worse and worse. We could have easily made over a billion dollars for last quarter if each department didn't have "their" budgets and everybody started to think about the bottom brown dollar.

Someone said it best on here..... go do your job, make more money for yourself by doing it their way, and then go home.

They don't want to listen to suggestions.... WE DON'T SEE THE BIG PICTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and for the dispatcher on here.... I did spend time with scheduling more than once and it is challenging at times, but when you don't see the best answer and a pilot... you know the guy on YOUR team.... gives you a better way of doing it... then just suck it up and say " that's a darn good idea, thanks for the help". The old YOU DON'T SEE THE BIG PICTURE is way over played and the lazy way out.

I stoped trying to help. I'm tired of being treated with disrespect, If they want those people to run the show, fine by me. I usually make more money that way with less stress.

A-Fukcin-men.

Speaking of reducing stress, don't give sched your cell number. I had mine removed from their list years ago. Unplug your hotel room phone upon arrival and enjoy a quiet, stress free layover.

Once they realize they don't have a way of contacting you, they stop trying. Try it, you'll see.

Most likely the schedulers are being told how to schedule crews with a computer program (crew sodomizer) which as I understand will run a few solutions in which the scheduler can choose from. The final result will screw you and about 30 other pilots. When you ask em about why they are doing it that way they shut you down and tell you to suck-it-up and fly.

What really upsets me is when you get re-routed in a pilot base... ah, dah ... isn't this a pilot base. Bottom line is it saves the company money but you Joe pilot make little for the grief.

RJ

and for the dispatcher on here.... I did spend time with scheduling more than once and it is challenging at times, but when you don't see the best answer and a pilot... you know the guy on YOUR team.... gives you a better way of doing it... then just suck it up and say " that's a darn good idea, thanks for the help". The old YOU DON'T SEE THE BIG PICTURE is way over played and the lazy way out.

Well not everyone has a great attitude and is glad to be working doing what they ("like, love") I happen to be a pilot and dispatcher, and take this stuff in stride, it is my job discription, I work with my crews every day and we always work things out.. I have management breathing down my back about not tankering fuel, I aire on the side of safety and my pilots requests without fail.. but I would not be a scheduler for any amount of money.. I wish I had the time to work with the schedulers of my crews to help them out of thses kind of issues, but the "system" does not provide for such...

Something has to be done about the way things are done, and the poor attitudes it creates.. I dont have the answers, only to communicate and ask for someone that cares on the other end.. Nicely I might add so you can get the attention deserved..

And King: at least you dont have passengers to worry about.. boxes dont talk back.... though I am sure big brown could do things better.. I did read recently that you guys saved $3million in gas just by making right turns!!.. maybe I could flight plan all my guys to only make left hand turns and save my company mo-money.. Smile be happy... its alot worse for many in our profession..

Last edited:
Speaking of reducing stress, don't give sched your cell number. I had mine removed from their list years ago. Unplug your hotel room phone upon arrival and enjoy a quiet, stress free layover.

So chuck/einstein/lawman/sky fly, and the countless other names you've used. Pretty funny you say this since you wrote right here that you don't even work at Air Tran.

Once they realize they don't have a way of contacting you, they stop trying. Try it, you'll see.
Is that how they do it at Midwest? I'm so sorry to hear of your impending furlough.
Don't you get tired of spending the $10 on new accounts? It must get expensive on that midwest salary, plus the impending 40% paycut.

Last edited:
I did read recently that you guys saved $3million in gas just by making right turns!!.. maybe I could flight plan all my guys to only make left hand turns and save my company mo-money..

D A M N IT......

Thats why my DSM leg freaking took over 5 hours..... good thing I'm just a freight dog now.....

And don't worry about me smiling..... I laugh at their fu(k ups every time I cash my check. Good luck over there at AAI....

There are times when I have considered the possibility that our scheduling department was actually recruited from a special ed class with the best ones already picked out. That also goes for crew planning.

Latest resources

Back