• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Reports Loss

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TY you are not allowed to post text from PM's in the forum. I would think you would be aware to those rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one wants to come out and say it, but it is difficult to compete against bankrupt carriers who charge rediculous fares while they're "protected", AKA DELTA

No one wants to talk about the ridculous pay scales and benefits and entry level longevity of start up LCC's either. Only the top thirty at AAI are at year twelve. 0 at JB.

Maybe because Management continues to take bonuses quarter after quarter....that's how.
BINGO!

If the pay rates on the (eventual) T.A. don't at least have current book plus COLA over its entire duration AT LEAST equal to or better than the average rise in the Consumer Price Index or adjusted inflation rates, it's an automatic "NO" vote for me, as long as the company continues to post even a MODEST profit or even breaks even.

That aside,,,

Why does everyone have to sling mud? So WHAT if a carrier that YOU don't work for files a small quarterly loss while they're still in the black for the year by a wide margin? What do you care?

Do you go around kicking cats, shooting puppies with b-b guns, and make little kids cry at the grocery store? 'Cause it sounds like you guys are just hunting for something to bash as an excuse to make you feel better... pretty pathetic.

Incidentally, I don't think the idea of "no" carrier being low-FARE (your words) in the future is necessarily a bad one. That would mean that median ticket prices went up for EVERYONE which, at our cost level (and others) would mean profits for almost everyone and would stem the rapid growth of some carriers which has, historically, lead to bankruptcy for many, many carriers.

I'm sure at some point AAI, jBlu, and maybe even *gasp* SWA will be in financial trouble. I don't believe that any of them will simply die, just likely be absorbed through merger or purchase if they don't make it out on their own. No big deal, it's been going on for half a century yet most pilots somehow survived and made a career out of it.

You gotta think long-term, not just what's happening this quarter... so lighten up already. Jheesh.

Last edited:
This is the part I don't get:

"year-to-date net income of $18.8 million or $0.20 per diluted share compared to $7.7 million or $0.09 per diluted share in 2005. For the third quarter 2006, AirTran Airways reported a net loss of $4.3 million or $0.05 per diluted share, which compares to net income of approximately $1.0 million or $0.01 per diluted share in the year earlier period."

O.K. net income so far this year looks good ($18.8M compared to $7.7M last year), but then the 3rd quarter results are really bad (a loss of $4.3M compared to a gain of $1M last year). What happened? You have to admit that's a large change in fortunes. You can talk about high fuel prices, but weren't they high last year too.

Well here is part of it...

"The latest quarter's results included a charge of $1.5 million, or 2 cents a share, to record additional free-ticket liability "related to the company's highly successful 2005 Wendy's promotion," the company said. The amount will be recognized as future revenue when the tickets are used, it added."

Our performance overall wasnt that bad, Third Quarter Revenues is up 30 Percent on a 27 Percent Increase In Capacity, thats not too shabby.

Last edited:
Well here is part of it...

"The latest quarter's results included a charge of $1.5 million, or 2 cents a share, to record additional free-ticket liability "related to the company's highly successful 2005 Wendy's promotion," the company said. The amount will be recognized as future revenue when the tickets are used, it added."

Well I guess it could be worse, I'm sure you'll be profitable for the year, but that only accounts for $1.5M of a $4.3M loss for the third quarter, a quarter in which you had a $1M profit last year. Fuel was high last year also. What else happened to account for a $5.3M swing from profitability to a loss?

A little off the subject, but still pertaining to AirTran, been here 2 1/2 years and had my first draft this morning. Traded a three day for two 2-days, each one leg per day. Got up to DTW last night, had only a few hours to have a couple beers and eat before DH-ing back to the lovely ATL on the first flight. Got down there at the bar/restaurant and saw one of the flight attendants from our flight. Sat down, and she was talking to another fo from AT and she quickly said he was a little weird. I talked w/him, small talk, etc., and found out he was doing the flight we were DH-ing on. Anyways, he bails, another bud of mine shows up, and have a good time (me) for about an hour, then I bail - as he said watch out for the crew tracker waiting for you at the jetway. Sure enough, the Capt I was with was in 1A and I was in 1C and as the jetway pulled up, he saw the *****. Door opened and she only wantead me. Capt said sorry, that sucks, I said yeah, then this FO, as the load was light, said "have a good time in White Plains", with a smile. The Capt, FA's all heard that and agreed with my tool assumption. Anyone else out there have a problem with someone like that?

We're in this game together, it's not about who gets ****** the worst, grow up JD, even though you're older! (and I'm sorry she preferred talking to me over you -- not really)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bskin,

Wow, I can't say I completely understand your five line sentence, however if you have a problem with another pilot why don't you take it up with him personally or through your Unions Pro-Standards department? Partially disclosing his name on an open forum is worse than what you claim he did to you.

-minrest

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back