AirTran QOL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
XRMEFLYER said:
Reread the post. It said "...500 PIC 121 or military equivalent." There are quite a few military types here(for better or worse). As for the other, not many corporate only types.

The truth is if someone wants to be an airline captain than he probably needs some airline captain experience. The whole argument of which is harder (121, 135, corporate) is not applicable. I will put my military helo experience up against anyones in terms of degree of difficulty and whether or not it gave me the situational awareness required to succeed in the 121 environment. But what the airlines wanted was airline experience not a "mine is bigger because I've been there and done that inverted and on fire" story.

that really wasn't my point... my point was, the 121 is not a hard min as far as I have heard.... if so you would not have any corporate only pilots there. And you don't start off as a cap, so I think being an FO 121 for however many years is sufficient to learn the "121" side of things.... FedEx and other majors hire plenty of non-121 pilots.

Nindiri said:
How difficult is it to trade and drop trips? Lazy people like me need to know before we accept a class date. :)

a lot easier than the commuters. but sometime in the next 90 days we should have Flica which will include "real time trip swaps and drops" (outside of the integration period) so scheduling shouldnt have a hand in it and it should be near instataneous.... but we shall see. The FA's love it. Most of them bid a schedule but never fly anything on it, just swap it all away because of Flica..

Airtran717 said:
a lot easier than the commuters. but sometime in the next 90 days we should have Flica which will include "real time trip swaps and drops" (outside of the integration period) so scheduling shouldnt have a hand in it and it should be near instataneous.... but we shall see. The FA's love it. Most of them bid a schedule but never fly anything on it, just swap it all away because of Flica..

Flica at jb is pretty much as you described it. Can take a little while to process a request especially after open time first becomes available (many users trying to swap/drop/add at the same time, still that could be a problem inherent to jb's participation in flica, i.e. bandwith). Otherwise, all those requests are pretty quick and sometimes even instantaneous. It allows for some pretty amazing schedule flexibility BUT -- not everything in open time is desirable, so I try to get the best line as my seniority will allow (using of course a complex set of mathematics, color magic markers, maker's mark and an old dungeons and dragons map I found in the basement), and then I "tweak" my schedule as necessary as the month progresses. Good luck with the new system!

I prefer to find small helpless birds in the middle of the road and slowly...ever so slowly..roll my tires over thier small fragile skulls. Hearing the cranial plates shifting, scraping, seperating and finally crunching and popping under the weight of my wheels!! I AM A GOD!!!

You are truly sicK! I have heard of a pilot at ATA that is on a mental Disability leAve that sounds just like you. Are you sure this isn't you working at AirTran while on medical leave from ATA?

Last edited:
CAVOK69 said:
that really wasn't my point... my point was, the 121 is not a hard min as far as I have heard.... if so you would not have any corporate only pilots there. And you don't start off as a cap, so I think being an FO 121 for however many years is sufficient to learn the "121" side of things.... FedEx and other majors hire plenty of non-121 pilots.

And what I and others have been saying is that in fact it is not a hard minimum. There is a "military equivalent", whatever that means. Maybe there should be a "corporate minimum" as well then, I'm not saying that there shouldn't be.

What we are saying is that it is what it is and potential applicants have two choices. Look elsewhere or get what it takes to get hired. This is not unique in the industry. SWA with the type and Fedex with their multiple internal rec requirements as examples. What you "think is sufficient to learn the 121 side of things" notwithstanding.

BTW Nice Avatar!

Airtran717 said:

Thanks. :)

Truthfully, I already know that if AirTran should call with a class date I'll taking the first one available, but it's still nice to know that there is some flexibility in schedules. Now I just have to overcome ten years worth of lethargy induced by being comfortable at my regional.

Well, my trip trades and drops on reserve have been going BEAUTIFULLY!

I'm near the bottom of the list and can't hold weekends off, yet I've been dropping weekend reserve days then, on the Tuesdays and Wednesdays I'm normally off, I look up open time the late afternoon before when they're done doing lineholder trip pick up and swaps and see what looks good.

Then I call them up and ask them if I can have trip XXXX in open time for the next day. This way I make my reserve life commutable and only sit reserve one day a week and fly the rest.

My projected credit is still near the 90 hour mark and I'll get 13 days off. I don't know if I can do this forever but it beats the HELL out of life on reserve at 9e. :D

Good luck to you!

Latest resources

Back