• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Profit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA will probably always be a better stronger airline, but at least be a bit humble and accept that the way you guys have treated other airlines...aka Morris and Frontier is no different than our management at Airtran using Lorenzo style management. It's not the 1980's....

Just to set the record straight (for the millionth time), even if SWA had done, say, Date of Hire with the Morris pilots, it wouldn't have made a huge difference. They were only about a two year old upstart when SWA bought them. When I was a new FO here, the Morris guys had all just gone through upgrade so I got to fly with a lot of them. With one exception (I think he was something like the #4 captain at Morris), they were all great guys to fly with and very happy with their situation....most felt like they had won the lottery.

As for F9 (again for the millionth time), they were in a crappy situation. We didn't need them, and they (apparently) didn't need us. This was voiced by both parties through their opening positions (staple vs. relative seniority), and there was not enough time for some middle ground to be explored. So like a blind date with no chemistry, we shook hands and went our separate ways. No apologies necessary.

So I can't quite buy your assessment of how we've treated other airlines. The former resulted in a lot of happy campers, and the latter was simply not in the cards. In neither case was it even close to a "merger of equals" ala US/AWA or NWA/Delta. If (heaven forbid) we see a marriage with you guys or say, Alaska, in the near future, I wouldn't look for the stapler to make an appearance (except from some of the loose cannons here on FI). Let's get real. In any case our union will be looking out for their members best interests...as I would expect yours to as well.

Its from 2008, its 2009 new market. Oil hedges don't add to profit now.

Maybe you guys should start comparing profits by looking at the size difference between LUV and AAI 529 a/c vs 138, 5915 pilots vs 1632. So even without the magnifiying effects of economics of scale you can APROXIMATE by multiplying AAI profits/losses Times 3.6 So when LUV posts an ACTUAL profit of 35 million vs AAI of 10 million than all the chest beaters at LUV can start comparing their D**k sizes again. Flame On!

"For the FO's that are moving on-perhaps a bit of coordination to walk at the same time?"

Moving on to where?

Engineering work. However, aviation seemed a much more lucrative field several years ago. I enjoy the work, but financially(for me) it has turned out to be a dead dog. I'm not bitter, just poor.

Returning to school maybe be worth it for some. I did.

So you're all of 30 years old now and I see not much has changed.

Latest resources

Back