• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran posts 4th quarter profit of 1.9 million

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA is buying AT to GET RID OF the COMPETITOR and 737 (50 of them we had coming)(your welcome) at an AWESOME PRICE !!

No growth for 3-5 years and now SWA is hiring and growth is planned !!

Lets not settle the SLI between us and lets go to the arbitration.

Lets not settle the SLI between us and lets go to the arbitration.

Be careful what you wish for. Your case is not nearly as compelling when you take the emotion out of the argument. Arbitration will not get the result you are looking for.

You are right that sounds like something that should have been said to the USAir pilots back then before they shot themselves in the foot. You are about to do the same.

What you forget is that its not all about earnings. And like I said before, you are comparing current contracts. If AAI was to merge with ALA and take their contract, then everything changes. Besides, its not all about the money all the time. Quality of Life is very important. I'm currently a senior FO who gets pretty much any schedule I want. I get weekends, Holidays, can pretty much pick my trips, and can get any time off that I need. Currently, I'll also retire in the top 1% at AAI , so I will hold very good schedules again once I get towards retirement. Right now, quality of life is more important then the pay. And I do just fine on my AAI pay. I don't want to retire in the top 30% and not be able to get good schedules when I want to spend time with friends and family as I get older. I don't mind falling a little in relative seniority, but I do not want to fall much.. The SWA contract is great, but it wasn't worth it to the F9 guys to get stapled, and they were a bankrupt airline in the midst of pay cuts. AAI has been profitable for 8 of the last 9 years, had movement (if it weren't for the SWA merger), and is a pretty stable company, so it REALLY isn't worth it for us. Don't get me wrong, Id love to come to SWA and help build a better airline with you guys and take over the world. But I do not want to do it at the risk of losing all me seniority and starting near the bottom, no matter how good the pay is.

Dude I am at the bottom of the FO list and I still will retire top 1% of SWA with 6000 pilots. Go do the QOL and math on this with our current contract. I flew 600ish block hours last year and made 135k with 15 days off a month avg, and that is being on reserve. Can you imagine what a arbitrator will see in relation to what your QOL/pay in the long run verses mine. Your carrer expectatoins and QOL are not as the same as mine.

Absolutely. Perfect example. My next 3 days trip blocks 13.3, yet the credit is 17.5. Last month I flew 73 hours, and had 86 hours of credit. In December, I had 99.5 hrs of credit. I flew just over 800 hours last year, yet I had close to 1000 hrs credit ( I don't pick chit up either, I like my QOL more then the money). Like I said, its not the huge windfall some of you guys seem to think it is. We have w************************* who make well over $200,000 a year pretty easily, and thats before we got the pay raise. So the money is there if you want to fly.

I'm assuming you are a Captain.

Last year, I flew 776 hours as a SWA FO. Averaged 17-18 days a month. Live in Domicile. Nine year FO pay scale, NOT Lance Captain. Flew most of my trips at 1.5 pay. Annual pay $240,000. Retro pay $15,000. 2010 take home pay $255,000 as a FIRST OFFICER.

You are in for a windfall. Trust me.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you are a Captain.
No, GT1900 is an F/O.

Last year, I flew 776 hours as a SWA FO. Averaged 17-18 days a month. Live in Domicile. Nine year FO pay scale, NOT Lance Captain. Flew most of my trips at 1.5 pay. Annual pay $240,000. Retro pay $15,000. 2010 take home pay $255,000 as a FIRST OFFICER.
Two of my friends at SWA were hired within 2-3 months either way of when I was hired at AirTran, which makes them 5th/6th year F/O. In speaking with them in the last few weeks, one of them made $145k, one made $160k this year.

From what I understand, doesn't your ability to fly most trips at premium pay vary greatly from domicile to domicile and month to month? Surely not EVERYONE can "game the system" like that? If so, wouldn't everyone be doing it? Something I need to ask them about I guess...

GT1900,

I can understand AT has been profitable for the past 8-9 year. Your frustration is based on WHY. Why are we being sold if we have been so profitable? Well you and I are not the CPA's of either company. So for you to use that argument for "what about my short upgrade" Or mine " what about me being in the top 1% of the list when I retire" AT can not grow with out SWA's 3.8 billion in short hand cash. Your company is for sale. But the good thing you and I will still be all right after it is all said and done. I know that we or I spat off here on FI, But I can understand your frustration. So don't any of the SWA guy's are heartless. We are all in the same boat. The one thing I like and I have said it before, is the pride we both have. Once the dust settles those energies will be concentrated into one group. Our group just has to show the ALPA mentality doesn't work with SWA. It is all about success sharing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back