• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good point on the leases. I imagine there has to be some loophole or clause that would let them dump the 717's early, maybe with a penalty of some sort. But in general, everything is negotiable if the price is right. I am sure they could work something out with Boeing on the 717's in exchange for more 737 orders.

My main point is that we don't want those small jet pay rates in the TA at all. This just gives the company leverage in the future against the NPA.

Or another scenario, which I saw used at a regional that I once worked for, is to use the "carrot jet" scenario. Basically, the company tells the union that they are going to get E-190's (in our case). They say that AirTran pilots can fly them or they can contract it out to (insert name of regional airline). However, (regional airline X) will fly them for rates below ours. So if the AirTran pilots want to keep the flying, we need to lower our small jet payscale even further.

The union doesn't want to see the flying get outsourced, so eventually they cave and AirTran pilots get the flying at an even further reduced pay than what the TA shows now.
Oh you're just being paranoid. We should just trust these guys.

BTW Anyone heard of the NO TA sticker/tag issue reaching critical mass yet?

Look guys, it's pretty simple-

The economics of supporting a tiny fleet like the 717 and the liability from the Rolls-Royce engines make it very attractive to Boeing to do away with the fleet.

With that in mind, rest assured that we are negotiating for a replacement, and probably with Boeing, Embraer, Bombardier, and who knows else. On the table will be assuming the leases for the 717 fleet, like trading in a car.

The Company has showed their hand very clearly; unfortunately, Allen and the BoD are always on the defense and don't have the big picture.

The Scope provisions, the small jet rates, and the reserve rules say it all, brotha, and what it says, louder than anything, is "Teamsters".

Ty,
It took 4 years to get 40 737 with it already on the certificate and guys who had letters from the FAA to teach. So how long would it take to get the E190/195 a while. Thats part of the big picture. The point is they wont show up over night. But you would look good pulling the gear handle in the right seat.

Part of the issue behind taking 3 years to get 45 737's is the delivery schedule from Boeing.

Northwest has spooled up Embraer certificate addition and deliveries inside 18 months. It can be done if you want it bad enough.

That's the big problem. We don't *know* the company's plans, so we have to assume the worst. If we don't, we possibly screw ourselves, and most of us don't want to be back in the same old boat of trying to find a better job after ours turns bad.

Better to just keep what we have and start again on negotiations.

Last edited:
Sehr gut?

Ty,
It took 4 years to get 40 737 with it already on the certificate and guys who had letters from the FAA to teach. So how long would it take to get the E190/195 a while. Thats part of the big picture. The point is they wont show up over night.

Well, I guess they'll let anyone with ten bucks and a keyboard on flightinfo.com now, won't they? Willkommen . . . .

It took 3 years to get 45 737 on the property, not four, and that means the 717 will be replaced under the life of this contract. . . . which means a 7 year B717 CA could be displaced into the RJ at $95./hour, or find himself on reserve on the 737 under those new rules. No, thanks.

This TA is destined for the sh!tpile, where it so rightly belongs . . . . and my prediction is that it will be followed by a major house-cleaning at NPA, or the voting in of a truly national union.

you would look good pulling the gear handle in the right seat.

And you'd look good in a cell next to Parker.;)

Last edited:
as far as waiting for the 190s, i will give you this example....

continental express was not supposed to be the launch customer for the e145....some airline in austrailia was....next thing you know, who gets the airplane first? coex

if they want the airplane bad enough it will happen...

Well, I guess they'll let anyone with ten bucks and a keyboard on flightinfo.com now, won't they? Willkommen . . . .
Hmmm... who's German? ;)

It took 3 years to get 45 737 on the property, not four, and that means the 717 will be replaced under the life of this contract. . . . which means a 7 year B717 CA could be displaced into the RJ at $95./hour, or find himself on reserve on the 737 under those new rules. No, thanks.
It's better than that. Take a look at the proposed T.A.'s Sec. 6 regarding displacements:

6.F.7 - Displaced Pilots will bid for and be awarded ANY assignment THAT THEIR SENIORITY CAN HOLD. If a displaced pilot causes another pilot to be displaced, then that other pilot will bid for and be awarded any assignment THAT HIS SENIORITY CAN HOLD. The process will continue until all displaced Pilots have been awarded.

What the means is that as the Embraers come on board, the junior guys on BOTH the 717 and 737 start displacing each other in order to retain the higher pay as long as they can. Eventually, when the last 717 goes away, the most senior 717 Captain bumps the most junior 737 Captain, then the 737 Captains go down into an Embraer CA spot, then the most junior Embraer CA displaces the most junior 737 F/O, and the 737 F/O gets displaced to Embraer F/O.

Basically, you will give over 75% of the seniority list a pay cut in one way or another by the time this whole thing is over. NO ONE is safe, unless you're in the top 25% of the seniority list.

In addition, if they suspend the 737 deliveries while they do this, there is ZERO growth, and that 4-year upgrade they based the absolute CRAP F/O wages on jumps to 8-10 years.

Does anyone want to be a 7-10 year F/O here? I don't. Is the above scenario possible? Absolutely. Is it likely? Who knows. That's the problem, and we have to base our vote on the worst-case scenario, or you're just setting yourself up to be hosed if it becomes the company's "best interest" plan.

This TA is destined for the sh!tpile, where it so rightly belongs . . . . and my prediction is that it will be followed by a major house-cleaning at NPA, or the voting in of a truly national union.
Hope you're right... don't care one way another about NPA vs. Teamsters, but I really have NO urge to send the same guys back in to negotiate again. They're WAY to close and personally vested to this T.A. to really trust again in that position.

No offense, if any of you NC guys are reading this, but you REALLY, REALLY should have paid more attention to your Wilson Polling data. Thinking you somehow knew better and could bring something this substandard to us is pure egotism and has NO place at the bargaining table.

And you'd look good in a cell next to Parker.;)
Ouch. Dude... play nice! :)

Part of the issue behind taking 3 years to get 45 737's is the delivery schedule from Boeing.

Northwest has spooled up Embraer certificate addition and deliveries inside 18 months. It can be done if you want it bad enough.

That's the big problem. We don't *know* the company's plans, so we have to assume the worst. If we don't, we possibly screw ourselves, and most of us don't want to be back in the same old boat of trying to find a better job after ours turns bad.

Better to just keep what we have and start again on negotiations.

I just can't figure out why the N.C. sent us this thing. If I have the time to attend a road show tomorrow, I will do it and ask that question in person.

Lear, I agree with you 100% about companies negotiating concessions and not using them. If we sign this thing, then I would be shocked if we didn't see and E-190 deal ASAP. Shortly followed by a deal with an 86 seat RJ operator putting around 20 of those on property (for $100 /hr cheaper they can find the gate space)

Any takers on who they would get to do it. Republic? Who else operates E-170's or E-190's?

Would this happen overnight, surely not, but maybe over two or three years.

I heard a couple of line pilots say they want these aircraft to supplement growth not replace it. I heard another pilot say "The leases on the B-717's aren't up for years". Once again, if you could operate an 86 and 100 seat jet for 30-50% less labor cost, wouldn't you find a way out of those leases.

Somebody please point out the flaw in my thinking. I don't want to dictate to the company on how to grow the business, but if we are going to be flying these 100 seaters, we should get a better rate and we shouldn't farm out any flying over 70 seats (including turbo-props)

The NPA has been made aware that there is a call to engage in delay of flights and other activities directed against AirTran Airways, Inc. Please be aware that the National Pilot's Association disavows any such call or action and the NPA neither authorizes or condones any effort to incite or encourage a job action. The NPA further asks that anyone encouraging or considering such an effort cease doing so immediately.

Captain Allen Philpot, President-National Pilot's Association

And you think we should be congratulating them and buying them beers for bringing us a contract that is concessionary in almost every section?

Who SHOULD we hold accountable? Obviously someone dropped the ball here, so who do you replace to make sure it doesn't happen again?

I'm waiting for a reasonable response, given what WE are going through...

Dropped the ball???? That would be the membership, right? Your MEC are elected officials, right???

Not sure of the type of logical response you're looking for. It's your MEC. Obviously the do not speak for you. So, have you and your members started the recall process?

Latest resources

Back