Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
F

fly4lifetoday

I saw this posted on a thread elsewhere and found it very interesting. It looks like the AirTran pilots will have a tough battle ahead!

I know there have been a number of opinions on the AT pilots' windfall and its relevance during SLI. Some have stated none of the numerous gains for the AT pilots can be considered during arbitration. A friend of mine from Chautauqua sent the results of their arbitration with Shuttle America. It was a 24-page document so I took several relevant quotes from the arbitrator in his summary and explanation.

>>>Arbitrator- Richard R. Kasher, Esquire
October 19, 2005

"It is clear, when one considers routes flown, cities serviced, the two carriers' relative financial condition, fleet size and fleet type, that the equities weigh so heavily on the side of the Chautauqua Pilots as to virtually obliterate any alleged equities that the Shuttle America Pilots claim they bring to the merger."

"Simply stated, the rates of pay, rules and working conditions in the Chautauqua Pilots' collective bargaining agreement, are far superior to those found in the Shuttle America Pilots' collective bargaining agreement. As a result of the acquisition Shuttle America Pilots will be the beneficiaries of the superior rates of pay, rules and working conditions found in the Chautauqua Pilots collective bargaining agreement."

"A date of hire seniority integration, while it might not significantly dilute the seniority of the Chautauqua Pilots, would, to some extent, constitute a WINDFALL BENEFIT for the Shuttle America Pilots."

"This Arbitrator agrees that the "reasonable" career expectations of the two pilot groups is the benchmark for determining what is fair and equitable in this case."

"On this basis alone, the integration of Shuttle America Pilots into the Chautauqua operation has substantially increased career expectation for the Shuttle America Pilots, far beyond what they could have reasonably expected when they "signed on" as pilots for Shuttle America."<<<

The arbitrator accepted the Chautauqua Pilots' proposal and as a result, the most senior Shuttle pilot was inserted at approximately 70% seniority and the Shuttle captains DID lose their seats.

This was discussed on this forum already, do a search. Shuttle America was in, or just emerging from bankruptcy, and had a handful of turboprops. Their career expectation were almost nil. No comparison.

Of course you don't.. I was in boston last week, and everyone at the watering hole said Pats will win hands down, this game is going to be a joke... (They lost) The thing is, you just never know. So quite assuming and starting working to protect your spot.

I think it is absurd to think the arbitrator will take in consideration all the gains Airtran pilots will receive as a result of this acquisition.

I saw this posted on a thread elsewhere and found it very interesting. It looks like the AirTran pilots will have a tough battle ahead!

I know there have been a number of opinions on the AT pilots' windfall and its relevance during SLI. Some have stated none of the numerous gains for the AT pilots can be considered during arbitration. A friend of mine from Chautauqua sent the results of their arbitration with Shuttle America. It was a 24-page document so I took several relevant quotes from the arbitrator in his summary and explanation.

First post, let me guess. You don't work at either company, but just wondering what both sides think.

Cost to try to stir stuff up on FI - $10

Refusing to get drawn in by posters who
know it all and need to get a life- priceless

Both SWA and Airtran are currently profitable LCCs, with similar type (size) fleets (737s) as the largest aircraft. Both have distinct assets that make each valuable for a merger TOGETHER. Neither are close to BK. One isn't "rescuing" the other. And, I may not see a 1 or 1 in the SLI, but I certainly don't see a staple or even close. I also don't see the arbitrator equating this to the CHQ/Shuttle America merger, more like the USAir/AWA merger. After a certain amount of SWA guys on the top, I see relative from there down. There will be SWA and AT guys at the bottom of the combined list.

Bye Bye---General Lee

He is the smartest ever. I've been on here for 8 years at least now reading the General's stuff. You wouldn't believe how smart I am just learning from him. I'm sure he has forgot more than I know. AND to top that off, the general has more time in the flare than I do even dreaming about flying.

He is the smartest ever. I've been on here for 8 years at least now reading the General's stuff. You wouldn't believe how smart I am just learning from him. I'm sure he has forgot more than I know. AND to top that off, the general has more time in the flare than I do even dreaming about flying.

Thanks, and all of that was for FREE. But, if you have other life questions about yourself, like relationships, or why you like the same sex, etc, then you'll have to pay. Please PM me for details, but that will cost you too.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Man General, you are one smart dude!

Yeah, and the whole thing will be easy to figure out for the arbitrators too. You Corndogs sure do get wrapped up on simple concepts, like VNAV, auto throttles, and SLIs.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back