• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran pilots. Was Mad Dog a scab?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You should. They all exaggerate it to make themselves sound better. The reality is that neither ALPA National nor the EAL MEC told the pilots to return to work. Jack Bavis, the EAL MEC Chairman, stated that in his opinion, the pilots should go back to work. But he was referring to ending the strike, not to pilots crossing a lawful picket line. It was just his opinion that the strike was a failure, and continuing it would yield no better results. Those pilots who crossed the line just used Bavis's statement as an excuse to justify their crossing.

This is correct! Don't buy the BS sob stories these aholes tell to make them seem like less a scab.

Last edited:
If the EAL MEC chairman said he thinks the pilots should go back to work, should they not take the advise? Who officially gives the green light to go back? His opinion seems to be the one that counts.

If the EAL MEC chairman said he thinks the pilots should go back to work, should they not take the advise? Who officially gives the green light to go back? His opinion seems to be the one that counts.

To be clear, Bavis never told the pilots to go back to work. It was just his opinion that that's what they should vote to do. But unions are democracies (or representative democracies, depending on the issue being decided), not dictatorships, so one man can't make a decision. The MEC would have to vote on whether to return to work. They didn't approve an end to the strike, so it continued. Period.

Bavis didn't cross the picket line, by the way, despite his opinion that the strike was futile at that point. The people who did cross just use Bavis's opinion as cover for their decision, when they knew damned well that the strike was still on and no vote had been taken to return to work.

Thanks PCL. I agree about the harmonica PA. Who cares. It's just as bad as a "marry me and you'll fly for free," song being sung by a tone deaf FA on a PA that's not made for karaoke. It's been my observation that any attempt to make the miserable experience of flying in coach a little better is generally well perceived by the passengers. No matter which airline it is. Unfortunately the glory days of aviation are long gone and this is what we are left with.

Thanks for the info and perspective PCL

You just don't do it, and certainly don't cross on something as thin as that

I don't even think he ever worked in the training center while he was here.

Latest resources

Back