• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran pilots. Was Mad Dog a scab?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you're an ffdo and some pud ca starts playing his mouth harp at 6am what do you do?
I haven't been through the course but this at least warrants a pistol whipping right??

For a bunch of guys that come from an airline where they celebrate unprofessional nonsense like FAs rapping the safety announcement over the PA, you're awfully judgmental about some harmonica playing.

The harmonica playing, while certainly annoying and in poor taste, is not the crux of the issue we have with ole Maddog...

Let's please use the correct tense of the verb. He "is" a scab.

Nothing changes one's scab status. Not retirement. Not regret. And certainly not harmonica playing.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I knew several Eastern pilots in my reserve unit. There were two types that crossed then picket line. Those that were hired by Eastern, worked for Eastern, went on strike, walked a picket line, and then were told by national ALPA that the strike was over and to go back to work. The Eastern MEC disagreed with Nat. ALPA and called for Eastern pilots to continue withholding their services. Some stayed out and others went back.
The second group were purely opportunist and crossed picket lines, having never worked for Eastern. Now that's a Scab. Call the others what you want but the first group is debatable.

Just google Eastern scab list and you will find a master scab list for all airlines.

This may be a resource for you.

The harmonica playing, while certainly annoying and in poor taste, is not the crux of the issue we have with ole Maddog...

I understand that, and I've got no disagreement with you on that issue. But the people making an issue of the harmonica playing should really look at the log in their own airline's eye instead of looking at the speck in AirTran's. Rapping flight attendants, "cabin games," and other such nonsense is equally as bad, if not worse, than a harmonica playing pilot.

PCL,

Just to be clear, I make no judgements about him being an AirTran guy. Just what he did before working there. I think most other SW guys feel the same and are just disappointed that the company would highlight him over others, both SW and/or AAI.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I knew several Eastern pilots in my reserve unit. There were two types that crossed then picket line. Those that were hired by Eastern, worked for Eastern, went on strike, walked a picket line, and then were told by national ALPA that the strike was over and to go back to work. The Eastern MEC disagreed with Nat. ALPA and called for Eastern pilots to continue withholding their services. Some stayed out and others went back.
The second group were purely opportunist and crossed picket lines, having never worked for Eastern. Now that's a Scab. Call the others what you want but the first group is debatable.

Just google Eastern scab list and you will find a master scab list for all airlines.

This may be a resource for you.

So which was "mad dog"?

And....

I still have a lot of questions about that first scenario

Last edited:
I still have a lot of questions about that first scenario

You should. They all exaggerate it to make themselves sound better. The reality is that neither ALPA National nor the EAL MEC told the pilots to return to work. Jack Bavis, the EAL MEC Chairman, stated that in his opinion, the pilots should go back to work. But he was referring to ending the strike, not to pilots crossing a lawful picket line. It was just his opinion that the strike was a failure, and continuing it would yield no better results. Those pilots who crossed the line just used Bavis's statement as an excuse to justify their crossing.

Latest resources

Back