• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran pilots. Was Mad Dog a scab?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, many didn't. Those that didn't also never called him by that stupid nickname/callsign or whatever it is.

I don't call any commercial pilot by a former military call sign unless it's something funny like "scoots" or "brownie" and is embarrassing to them.

Is it mad dog a party to the lawsuit also?

The last time I flew with him, I do believe that he mentioned that he was part of it. You ought to fly a 4 day with him...and all early morning reports. That harmonica gets OLD! The passengers loved but it though.

I could never call him by his call sign either.

Phred

Funny thing about that word "scab". Do you consider the pilots that crossed the PATCO line scabs? In 2000, it was reported that 75% of the Allied pilots campaign donations went to bush, a notoriously anti labor politician. Maybe we should consider them scabs too. What about all of those "forgiven" people at Continental. Consider mergers, if one pilot group uses superior financial advantages to delegate inferior positions to an acquired pilot group. I'll bet the losers in this arraingement are probably thinking scab. After 86, United ALPA couldn't risk a strike, ex-Frontier pilots would have felt privileged to cross that line. Maybe the question is in the definition.

No, many didn't. Those that didn't also never called him by that stupid nickname/callsign or whatever it is.

I don't call any commercial pilot by a former military call sign unless it's something funny like "scoots" or "brownie" and is embarrassing to them.

EXACTLY!!

for Military....It's not a "sortie" when I fly ATL-MDW, and I am pretty sure we're not going to take any small arms fire while we board.....I say let it go "sparky"

Mike did air shows in a Cub...however we're not going to do a hammerhead on our way to MCO and there is no announcer for our take off.

we had other folks that introduced themselves by their handle....a strange bunch

Let's please use the correct tense of the verb. He "is" a scab.

Nothing changes one's scab status. Not retirement. Not regret. And certainly not harmonica playing.

100% correct

They are sub contractors in a collective voice industry. They are a cancer to unity and those around them that are easily influenced. We had many Pilots that "marinated" with them too long here at AT and they too became subcontractors which made us the exploitable Pilot group we were.

Back to mike.. aka MD. AT furloughed 169 Pilots September 2008 (I think), far too many and as a result 2-3 weeks after....while our furloughed Pilots were still current and qualified...the company started asking our Captains to fly right seat to cover FO trips.
I was sitting next to MD as he was on the phone with a scheduler negotiating an FO trip for premium pay. Yes I told him it was wrong...but it fell on deaf ears.

Funny thing about that word "scab". Do you consider the pilots that crossed the PATCO line scabs? In 2000, it was reported that 75% of the Allied pilots campaign donations went to bush, a notoriously anti labor politician. Maybe we should consider them scabs too. What about all of those "forgiven" people at Continental. Consider mergers, if one pilot group uses superior financial advantages to delegate inferior positions to an acquired pilot group. I'll bet the losers in this arraingement are probably thinking scab. After 86, United ALPA couldn't risk a strike, ex-Frontier pilots would have felt privileged to cross that line. Maybe the question is in the definition.

Good God, Maru; I thought you were dead! Long time, no hear. :)

Of course the key is in the definition. The actual, accepted definition of a scab is "someone who performs legally-struck work." There's not really any wiggle room here, but individual pilots seem to want to try to make whatever they don't like fit into the definition. All that does is waters down and minimizes the actual act, in an attempt to greater stigmatize whatever it is that you don't like.

So, no, none of the things you postulated in your post above qualifies as labeling someone a scab. (Not to say that some things that are technically not scabbing aren't bad ideas, low or immoral.)

As far as PATCO goes, the key is "legally-struck." The PATCO strike was illegal insofar as it was an actual crime.

Bubba

Not only that, but it's questionable whether a sympathy strike would be legal even if the PATCO strike itself had been legal.

Back to mike.. aka MD. AT furloughed 169 Pilots September 2008 (I think), far too many and as a result 2-3 weeks after....while our furloughed Pilots were still current and qualified...the company started asking our Captains to fly right seat to cover FO trips.
I was sitting next to MD as he was on the phone with a scheduler negotiating an FO trip for premium pay. Yes I told him it was wrong...but it fell on deaf ears.

Wow.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Wow.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

No, it happens everywhere. Nobody should be picking up open time during section 6 after the amendable date either, but many do. A lot of those guys were also the ones offering to help the company out when they furloughed and didn't need to at the tranny.

Latest resources

Back