AirTran Pilots Fired!!!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Time out!

Read the entire WARN act. (http://www.dol.gov/compliance/laws/comp-warn.htm)

The word "permanent" in the letter DOES NOT mean they are being terminated. It is a legal term that means "longer than 6 months".
They are covered under WARN and we are not required to get a WRITTEN notice since we are covered by a union.

Now, having said that...even if this scumbag management still went forth with this, the union said on the conference call yesterday that they would immediately go to court for an injunction...and they would get it.

Wow. I'd fly the contract, write up ANY maintenance issue, never let ATC press me when a go-around might be more prudent, etc etc etc.

But that's just my opinion. Never leave a brother behind.

Gup

I thought they just put out a notice on Monday of 91 furloughs! Why the change?

Time out!

Read the entire WARN act. (http://www.dol.gov/compliance/laws/comp-warn.htm)

The word "permanent" in the letter DOES NOT mean they are being terminated. It is a legal term that means "longer than 6 months".
They are covered under WARN and we are not required to get a WRITTEN notice since we are covered by a union.

Now, having said that...even if this scumbag management still went forth with this, the union said on the conference call yesterday that they would immediately go to court for an injunction...and they would get it.

I read that to about "Permanent" Did you see anything for the word ELIMINATION.

To the extent that the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (“WARN”) Act,
29 U.S.C. § 2101 et. seq., applies, you are hereby notified of the elimination of certain pilot jobs
based out of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, 6000 North Terminal Parkway,
Atlanta, Georgia 30320.
The pilot job eliminations are expected to occur on September 6, 2008 and last for an
indefinite duration (permanent). It is expected that 180 pilot positions will be eliminated. These
position eliminations will be conducted in accordance with the provisions of the collective
bargaining agreement (FIRE THE NEW GUYS)between the Company and the National Pilots Association. A copy of the
current AirTran Pilots Master Seniority List which indicates the pilots expected to be affected is​
enclosed herewith. The affected employees ( THE NEW GUYS) do not have bumping rights.

It won't happen, but wouldn't 177 two-week notices that become effective two weeks from today make things interesting until Sept??

What a absolute bunch of jerks!!!!
How can these retread instructors even be so selfish to keep these positions!!!!!!!!!( If you research most of these individuals history, it makes perfect sense) What a twisted culture!!

Hang tough guys(the vast majority of you folks are hard working super individuals that deserve better)

Former Trannie that's glad he's gone

What changed from two days ago? I thought they already announced the furloughs?

Very sorry to hear the bad news.

Yes Fired. "Position ELIMINATED" "Permanent" Starting sept 6th. Email came out last night along with list of effected pilots.
Why not FURLOUGHED? To protect 15 OLD easter guys still hobbling around the training department. The contract states that before a line pilot is furloughed they must furlough the retired instructors first. To get around this they have decided to FIRE all Probationary pilots on Sept 6th. The list goes back to Sept 10th 2007. WOW what a coincedence. To kill 177 pilots careers and throw them into a market where there is no jobs with no hopes of returning is beyond imagination. The old guys have maybe 3-4 years left tops and all have retirments, grown kids, homes ect. I hope they sleep well at night that family will be broken and careers thrown away.This is AirTran. Maybe a good place to work a few years back but now the abomination of the industry. I rank MESA higher than AirTran.
When the industry rebounds I would take a long hard look at AirTran before applying. The first problem in the industry they will Fire you.
Why on earth would you have something in your contract that would require your company to furlough instructors first? Why aren't the instructors Non-seniority-list instructors? Delta and NW I know do this. You need instructors on a downturn as well as an upturn. Your instructors (NSLIs) should be a seperate work force subject to it's own ups and downs. I think this provision in your contract has screwed the new hires. Managments, like pilots will always find a way to exploit a contract.

Latest resources

Back