• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran pilots considering switching unions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
After comparing the company friendly UPS pilot contract to the pilot friendly FDX contract... and asking yourself which one you'd prefer to work under....

Why would you say that?
Dude...give up your company friendly vs. Pilot friendly contract garbage. It's a false argument implying that both organizations (ALPA and the IPA) are bargaining against the same Management Group. And for that matter, it implies that the IPA and ALPA are representing the same pilot group.

Neither one of those statements is true, so the whole "Pilot Friendly" and "Company Friendly" position is subjective, i.e. it's up to your own personal interpretation. You're pro-ALPA??? You don't say!

Hey Rez....other than FedEx....name one ALPA contract you consider to be better than UPS's contract....

Doesn't NPA already receive a lot of resources from ALPA?

Yes, and they pay for those resources, as does the in house pilot unions at American, UPS and SWA.

In addition, ALPA provides these resources and services to many international pilot groups as well...

For a time, ALPA was doing this for free, however, in the interest of its members not subsidizing an in house union members, ALPA formalized a fee based service.

Last edited:
Actually, the NPA stopped receiving these services from ALPA earlier in the year. The NPA cut our ties with ALPA, and now we're trying to contract with other vendors for services. Not good.

There will always be bull cacca at the local level for all unions. To counter act this "bull cacca" you need a strong national bureaucracy that can help you lead the way. And most importantly in ALPA you have first rate attorneys. In my eyes the Attorney is the most important thing. At my previous company our attorney was always seen or heard from at NPA she doesn't even come to explain the new TAs that where offered to us.

In other words we need alpa....yes they have done some dumb things but those are stupid acts are at the local level.

There will always be bull cacca at the local level for all unions. To counter act this "bull cacca" you need a strong national bureaucracy that can help you lead the way. And most importantly in ALPA you have first rate attorneys. In my eyes the Attorney is the most important thing. At my previous company our attorney was always seen or heard from at NPA she doesn't even come to explain the new TAs that where offered to us.

In other words we need alpa....yes they have done some dumb things but those are stupid acts are at the local level.

My god, thanks for saying that!

Just make sure you all replace all the union leadership with fresh blood regularly.

Recall often and regularly.
This is a KEY point

Two guys by the name of Kleiner and Pilarski did a study on the impacts of elections on benefits. They compared 2 unions in the same region. In short, one Union recalled it's leadership 8 times in a 30 year period. The other plant had 3 presidents over the same 30 year period (The only time a president left was to move on to a bigger, better opportunity, such as a political apointment...they were not voted out by the membership)

It was found the benefits received by the Union with a high recall rate for leadership were far better than those received by the Union with the steady leadership. It was apparent the high recall rate (in other words, holding elected leaders accountable) kept a fire under their ass to do the will of the membership.

The Kleiner and Pilarski study is a joke of a "scientific" study. There was no significant sample size. The two unions you mention, both blue-collar unions in California, were the only unions observed for this "study." No conclusions can be drawn from such a limited sample size. To get any real data, a wide-scale study would be needed.

The truth is, recalls and turnover are usually a bad thing. You need experience in office, not starry-eyed newbies that don't have a clue what they're doing. You should find elected leaders that do a good job, and keep them for the long haul.

Latest resources

Back