AirTran Pilots and Union Board Support Changing FAA Age 60 Rule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You actually got ahold of someone? ;)

I've written a few emails, too. The only ones replied to were from the P2P committee chair and the merger & acquisition committee guys.

The ones I wrote to Phil, the Bod, or anyone else about the activities the NPA conducted over Christmas and the recent LOA's have all gone unanswered.

Gotta love it. Wonder where we'd be if DP would have won?

Good question. I doubt we'd be getting any more actual $$ than the PROPOSED rates from the current leadership.

Those rates aren't anywhere near high enough on the F/O side. The proposed work rules better be STELLAR and make up another 7-10% increase for me to vote yes.

Do you think DP would have been able to achieve that? Do you think he'd even have tried? From the information I was getting, he was pretty much looking for a "cost neutral" contract with some cleaned up contract language.

Guess we'll never know. Unless they bring us a bad T.A. or two, they get voted down, and we have a recall. Highly unlikely as that may be...

Hope it doesn't come to that.

Yeah...I'm not sure DP would have been the answer. Just wondering out loud. I'm right there with you on the contract improvements. Good luck to us all.

Im sure Im about to open a can of worms but here goes....

I was polled by wilson and lent my support for 65. Let's face it, the age 60 rule was started by a B.S. management ploy to get rid of high paid pilots at AA. Its the greed of pilots to upgrade that keeps it going, safety was never an issue just an excuse because we can't say we are greedy s.o.b.s.

p.s. I know it will come up, no I'm not 59 more like 42

If DP was the answer, it must have been a pretty f$^%-ed up question.

Yeah, just what we need, a management pilot who has never flown a real month under this contract to be negotiating for us . . .

Scary thing is that 40% of the guys on the property didn't have the common sense to see that.

As for age 60 . . . I hope to be the hell out of here and out of this industry way before that, but you are giving up a lot when you agree to age 65 retirement. Count on the Company reducing the 10.5% contribution. . . . . and your Union going along with it. Maybe not now, or next year, but probably by Contract 2010, it will happen ". . . . after all, you're getting another 5 years of pay and retirement contribution".

Last edited:
Im sure Im about to open a can of worms but here goes....

I was polled by wilson and lent my support for 65. Let's face it, the age 60 rule was started by a B.S. management ploy to get rid of high paid pilots at AA. Its the greed of pilots to upgrade that keeps it going, safety was never an issue just an excuse because we can't say we are greedy s.o.b.s.

p.s. I know it will come up, no I'm not 59 more like 42

I don't think you opened up a can of worms at all--however I have been in the civilian airline industry for 24 years now and I'm constantly amazed to listen to all the bellyaching about how miserable you all are and if the retirement age increases it will all ruin your lives cause you want to be out of aviation well before 60 cause you all hate your jobs so much.

Airfogey

Scary thing is that 40% of the guys on the property didn't have the common sense to see that.

Also scary to see that 60% didn't have the common sense to see that AP and his "boys" don't seem to care about any of the members' actual opinions.

Oh, and I was Wilson polled. I'm sure it will be the last time. I didn't answer the questions the "right" way.

I'm hearing a 10% across the board pay raise. That gets us just even with inflation since the last one (three years ago). With a five year contract (if we don't get some sort of COLA built in), that would be a 15% pay cut by year five. Inflation has averaged 3% a year lately.

I can hear the arguments now: "but you get a pay raise every year", "Don't worry about FO pay, you'll be a Captain in 2 1/2 years", and of course "When I was at Eastern, FO's worked for tips and table scraps, you have nothing to complain about".

I would be on the lookout in the proposed contract TA, if and when it ever comes out, for provisions for the guys over 60 to come back with their respespective seniority when the rule changes. If so, vote it down to show how you feel about the union representing the membership.

P.S. I like Philpot’s age reference to experience. The botched landing in RDU was by a 55-year old; Southwest’s rwy overrun was by a 58-year old, to name a couple… I guess it must be ALL THAT experience, Philpot. Accidents/incident can happen to anybody. While age = experience, experience does NOT equate to safety.

I agree with you on your point that age=experience does NOT equate to safety....look at the Comair crash, for example.

Latest resources

Back