AirTran Pilots and Union Board Support Changing FAA Age 60 Rule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gents,
I was polled and said NO. From all the pilots that I have spoken with, the "majority" is not in favor. We have a high speed web site that requires a password to access. One access, one vote. No reason that every pilot can not take a few moments to ensure they have a voice that is heard. That would be better money spent than a hotel packet that is only as good as the latest hotel change. (Not that having that information is going to change your overnight.)
Another phone call alluded to the fact that the TA's that are being rushed to finish and get out to a vote are "not very promising." Best way to respond to the company and to the NC is to vote it down with a resounding NO. If they have not tightened the language for scheduling and pay protection and seriously worked the numbers for pay (hourly, longevity and cost of living adjustments) then our NC needs to do the job that they are being so dearly paid for. FO's need a pay raise and pay capped Captains need at least cost of living adjustments. Industry professionals are talking about the profits that will be made over the next couple of years. If we sign off on a piece of dirt TA then we will only have ourselves to blame. Let's not waste money at fancy dinners with Midwest pilots until we need to. Let's focus on OUR pilot group to ensure that OUR pilot group gets the contract that we deserve.
Do the job that you are being paid for.
If you are a line pilot, fly the line to keep the airline on schedule in a safe and efficient manner. Do it in a cheerful manner to keep our customers happy. Be professional.
All others need to do their job and get us a TA that is worth the paper that it is written upon. Highest dues in the industry and I demand they represent the pilot group and conduct themselves accordingly. Don't waste my money or time.
You have one of the most efficient pilot groups in the industry. You have the lowest employee to aircraft ratios in the industry. You have the lowest cost per seat mile in the industry (minus fuel costs). I am proud of these accomplishments for the pilot group and for the company.
You have the tools now lets make this happen for everybody.

They had to leave out a couple key words in the release...

The National Pilots Association, AirTran's 1,400 member pilot union, released survey data today showing that just under two-thirds (63%) of its members who were polled support changing the current mandatory retirement age for commercial pilots from sixty (60) to sixty-five (65).

I've said it before - there needs to be a yes or no vote of all the membership. This is too big an issue to rely on sampling/polling data.

Another phone call alluded to the fact that the TA's that are being rushed to finish and get out to a vote are "not very promising." Best way to respond to the company and to the NC is to vote it down with a resounding NO.

If they have not tightened the language for scheduling and pay protection and seriously worked the numbers for pay (hourly, longevity and cost of living adjustments) then our NC needs to do the job that they are being so dearly paid for. FO's need a pay raise and pay capped Captains need at least cost of living adjustments.

Industry professionals are talking about the profits that will be made over the next couple of years. If we sign off on a piece of dirt TA then we will only have ourselves to blame. Let's not waste money at fancy dinners with Midwest pilots until we need to. Let's focus on OUR pilot group to ensure that OUR pilot group gets the contract that we deserve.

Do the job that you are being paid for. If you are a line pilot, fly the line to keep the airline on schedule in a safe and efficient manner. Do it in a cheerful manner to keep our customers happy. Be professional.

All others need to do their job and get us a TA that is worth the paper that it is written upon. Highest dues in the industry and I demand they represent the pilot group and conduct themselves accordingly. Don't waste my money or time.

You have one of the most efficient pilot groups in the industry. You have the lowest employee to aircraft ratios in the industry. You have the lowest cost per seat mile in the industry (minus fuel costs). I am proud of these accomplishments for the pilot group and for the company.

You have the tools now lets make this happen for everybody.
BINGO!!

Right on target, and well-said!

What a bunch of crap. I was not asked either so this poll and union press release does not represent my view at all. i would have voted NO, but I guess my union knows better.

This thread is shameful. Or maybe the poll was shameful. Either way if your pissed about the way NPA is handling something, I hope you contact Al directly, because all I see here is venting.... not fixing the problem.

Last edited:
Please, please email or call Allen and the BoD to let him know how you feel about your "representation".

I hope you contact Al directly

Yep. Done it several times. Still waiting for a reply. Contacted the Age 60 committee chairman too, all he tried to do was change my opinion. This union "leadership" does not seem to care what the line pilot thinks. What a friggin' joke...

Yep. Done it several times. Still waiting for a reply. Contacted the Age 60 committee chairman too, all he tried to do was change my opinion. This union "leadership" does not seem to care what the line pilot thinks. What a friggin' joke...
You actually got ahold of someone? ;)

I've written a few emails, too. The only ones replied to were from the P2P committee chair and the merger & acquisition committee guys.

The ones I wrote to Phil, the Bod, or anyone else about the activities the NPA conducted over Christmas and the recent LOA's have all gone unanswered.

Latest resources

Back