AirTran Pilots and Union Board Support Changing FAA Age 60 Rule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

j41driver

ATLANTA, April 5 /PRNewswire/ -- The National Pilots Association, AirTran's 1,400 member pilot union, released survey data today showing that just under two-thirds (63%) of its members support changing the current mandatory retirement age for commercial pilots from sixty (60) to sixty-five (65).
"The six-pilot NPA Board of Directors also supports raising the retirement age to 65," said Capt. Allen Philpot, President of the National Pilots Association. "Our board has voted unanimously in support of changing the law to allow U.S. pilots to fly an additional five years, just like our international counterparts."
The FAA plans within the next two-years to adopt the new International Civil Aviation Organization standard that allows one pilot on the flight deck to be up to age 65, provided the other pilot flying the aircraft is under age 60.
"Most people in the industry now see this as a case of 'when,' not 'if,'" said Captain Philpot. "Provisions need to be put in place now to keep those pilots who want to fly beyond age 60 on the job. It would be unfortunate to lose our most experienced pilots."

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070405/aqth012.html?.v=8

Now can someone tell me how our union came up with 63% of 1400 voted in favor when they didn't ask all 1400??

I was asked when they did their survey using the Wilson people.

While I'm not doubting that, the Wilson polls are always a representative sampling of the group. i.e., not all members are polled. That may be fine for some subjects, especially those that go to the membership for ratification such as a TA. I just think that a sampling is a bad way to find out how the group feels about a subject as emotionally charged as Age 60. Could've used Ballotpoint.com or something similar to poll the entire membership.

While I'm not doubting that, the Wilson polls are always a representative sampling of the group. i.e., not all members are polled. That may be fine for some subjects, especially those that go to the membership for ratification such as a TA. I just think that a sampling is a bad way to find out how the group feels about a subject as emotionally charged as Age 60. Could've used Ballotpoint.com or something similar to poll the entire membership.
EVERYTHING will be 60/40 votes in favor of something you don't want from now until eternity.

Didn't you get that memo?

Gee, what a surprise...

Let me guess, America West pilots are in favor as well

Absolutely. You can spin something like this very easily. All you have to do is poll certain groups of pilots. Those polls can be as "random" as they want it to be. Besides, he said he got his results "years ago" for the BOD to support age 65. Anyone polled "years ago"? If they are asking on the latest round of wilson polling, it's AFTER they decided to support it, not before. Besides, the statement says "The National Pilots Association, AirTran's 1,400 member pilot union, released survey data today showing that just under two-thirds (63%) of its members support changing the current mandatory retirement age for commercial pilots from sixty (60) to sixty-five (65). That means that 910 pilots here want it changed. I don't think so.

The quote said it would be a shame to lose our most experienced pilots, AKA our most senior pilots like ones on the BOD perhaps?

Latest resources

Back