• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran pilot staffing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He feels that scope isn't important? Did he put that in writing anywhere, or did you just hear it somewhere? Scope is my number one priority. I will be very concerned if a member of the BOD thinks it's "unimportant."

I think it came up right before you got here. Vaguely remember something about it, but can't remember where I read it... I think it was phrased something along the lines of he didn't think the company really had anything in mind and didn't see the issue with Scope as he didn't believe the company would go to all that trouble having already "experimented" with 50-seaters.

Might have been one of the other guys like Rico or something, I just don't remember that clearly.

Why don't you ask him, since it's one of the company's top priorities and he's in such a "talkative" mood on the other board. I'm sure he'll tell you, and it'll be out there for everyone.

Last edited:
He feels that scope isn't important? Did he put that in writing anywhere, or did you just hear it somewhere? Scope is my number one priority. I will be very concerned if a member of the BOD thinks it's "unimportant."
Trust me ask him he feels very strong about it.

It's more than that, though. The 5% reduction is compared to last year's block hours. The reduction from this July to September will be 20% of our total block hours. That's a big cut. Does it justify furloughs? I doubt it, but they didn't ask me. :rolleyes:

Last year, we did about a 15% ASM reduction on the 717 after Labor day going from around 29,000 block hours in August 2007 to mid 24,000 block in September 2007.

True this years cut for September and October might be a little deeper (20%), but are we really going to cut the block hours that much from Mid-November to New Years holiday season?

The question will be how many airplanes do we end up with for the rest of 2008 and 2009. Fornaro said at the Merryll Lynch presentation that we have 143 airplanes today with 2 about to be sold. The slide presentation then listed the fleet for 2009 at 135-140 aircraft. If we drop to 135 aircraft, we are probably a little overstaffed. If we stay at 140, we are probably a little overstaffed for Sept, Oct, Jan, and Feb and pretty close to proper staffing for the busier times of the year.

How many guys do you think would be OK with lower average line values (tied to a more days off/better efficiency) for the slow times during the year to possibly prevent furloughs if we are overstaffed? That would show some unity in this pilot group by having the senior guys look out for the junior guys for once.

I figured out about 140 pilots furloughed if we have 130 airplanes and a 8 hour reduction in line value to bring 140 pilots to 70 hours.

I would gander that 135 airplanes would mean about half that or 70 pilots furloughed with a 5 hour reduction in line value for line holders to carry 70 pilots at 70 hours.

Its really 7 hours and 4 hours respectively, but I added an hour to account for benefits of the furloughed pilots. I don't really know how that would be covered realistically. Figured $1000 per month per pilot for benefit costs.

I know we are alittle fat, but our staffing is still a pilot per airplane less than average.

Last edited:
It doesn't feel like we're fat when I keep getting nailed on the last day of a 4 day line on reserve to fly an extra round trip that happens to finish at 12 hrs duty on the dot. The last 3 times they have pulled this.

How' bout charters?

In the letter, the NPA mentioned a LOA for charter operations. Anyone knows what this is all about?
I remember a long time ago, the company mentioned looking at the Miami air structure and how they move crews and planes to Europe during slow season.

Wish-full thinking perhaps...

Hate it when I start sounding like devils advocate.

Those that signed onto Airtran knew full well they were getting on with a fledgling carrier that was the only airline out there growing 20% a year while the next biggest grower was at 8%.....and even southwest was only at 6%. Face the consequences instead of a concessionary shot in the foot for even lower wages. Know thats easier than its easier said than done.

Those that signed onto Airtran knew full well they were getting on with a fledgling carrier that was the only airline out there growing 20% a year while the next biggest grower was at 8%.....and even southwest was only at 6%. Face the consequences instead of a concessionary shot in the foot for even lower wages. Know thats easier than its easier said than done.

Your post is flawed my friend. I am a newbie here and we have seen unprecedented economic changes in a very short time. Airtran was not fledgling 6 months ago for one. Oil was in the $80 dollar a barrel range and we were profitable. Nobody could have known that oil would have almost doubled in just a 2 month range. Airtran negotiated killer rates on the new 73's. Things change fast in this business I guess. It sure is a lot easier to tell people to not take concessions when you are outside looking in. There are many affected that might lose their house, struggle to feed their family, etc. I am one of those. Most of my savings have been consumed by my last furlough just a short year and a half ago. I am hoping for the best, but it doesn't look good right now.

What a load of crap. Fledgling carrier? Virgin America is a "fledgling carrier." AirTran is a well established major airline with $2.5 billion in annual revenue and many years of profitability.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back