• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran pilot staffing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would be careful of whom you invite into your house.Airtran could be picked up by AA for around $3 billion,sales of gates and other assets would net AA around $1billion,leaving AA with a fuel efficient immediate replacement for there MDs,$2billion for 141 aircraft saving AA vast sums of money in the short term would pay for itself very quickly.But dont worry APA will make you an offer you cant refuse.

Let me guess you is not college edumacated????

AirTran's market cap. or Total shares outstanding x cost per share is less than 300 million. This means someone could easily buy out the company; offering a small premium over market cap. In other words 400 million would get you AAI - lock, stock and barrel. However, we have liabilities and a merger with AA (or really anyone save SWA) would not make any sense for the take over company.

Wow, only on flight info,

I simply asked if AAI had -800s on oder or option. I know we may want to accelerate the delivery of even more 737s if it is possible.

Cheers

AAflyer

However, we have liabilities and a merger with AA (or really anyone save SWA) would not make any sense for the take over company.

For 400 million, why wouldn't it make sense for Delta to buy valuejet, then shut it down? It would be best for the industry as a whole. Atlanta wouldn't be a bad place! Oh but wait, I am sure our wonderful government policies wouldn't let that stand. They are obsessed with unreasonably low fares. It would be a catastrophe if we eliminated some competition, so as to raise fares. If our government would just let the weak wither up and die already, most of us would be better off, except for the traveling public anyway, but I don't give a damn about them, as the bottom 20% of them have no business flying anyway at the prices they are paying. So much for capitalism.

after 9/11, you guys pulled together and (took paycuts?) so there would be no furloughs. any talk of that? I have a friend who is near the bottom .got on last dec ... thanks

Listening to AAI's CEO... the place is for sale if the price is right. Then again we all are for sale---

For 400 million, why wouldn't it make sense for Delta to buy valuejet, then shut it down? It would be best for the industry as a whole. Atlanta wouldn't be a bad place! Oh but wait, I am sure our wonderful government policies wouldn't let that stand. They are obsessed with unreasonably low fares. It would be a catastrophe if we eliminated some competition, so as to raise fares. If our government would just let the weak wither up and die already, most of us would be better off, except for the traveling public anyway, but I don't give a damn about them, as the bottom 20% of them have no business flying anyway at the prices they are paying. So much for capitalism.

Shame we can't shut you down and make the world a better place.

after 9/11, you guys pulled together and (took paycuts?) so there would be no furloughs. any talk of that? I have a friend who is near the bottom .got on last dec ... thanks

I feel bad for your friend looking at a furlough, but there's not a chance in hell that we'll take any concessions. I'm already underpaid as it is.

I feel bad for your friend looking at a furlough, but there's not a chance in hell that we'll take any concessions. I'm already underpaid as it is.

here here. one can hope the remaining pilots at MEH feel the same way.

I'm not so sure about that... especially if the company comes out and says they're looking to furlough 200-300 guys if they don't get "temporary cuts".

Besides the not-so-fuzzy response I got from PL, the letter from MB was pretty clear that he expects furlough announcement and company requests for concessions and didn't come out and say that the NPA wouldn't consider such a request. In fact, what he DID say was:

[FONT=&quot]Our goal is to work for a viable airline with a long-term future that will provide all AirTran pilots with a stable, healthy career. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT] That, to me, says they think they're coming and are going to take a serious look at it. That's one of the reasons I submitted my comments on the private board last night; want to make sure there's no mistaking my position in regards to DFR issues with any proposed LOA or T.A.

My issues aside, you're going to have a lot of scared pilots out there right now. There's going to be over 1,000 pilots on the street again by the end of the year and no one's really hiring, even the regionals; several of my Lear F/O's have interviewed and been tentatively hired by 4 different regionals, then put on "indefinite hold" for class dates.

You and I know pilot concessions are a drop in the bucket towards the making or breaking of a major airline, but we represent probably 5% of the pilot population (most of which are on this board which is why you get a 90% hard-line response on here, but only 40-60% when it comes to actual vote); most of them will vote for whoever has the loudest voice while still being a safe bet. That's why we were able to kill the T.A. last summer; "current book is better than the proposed T.A." people knew what they had and could continue to live under it until something better came along.

This is a different ballgame. Up to 30% of the seniority list is affected: Captains displaced to F/O, F/O's furloughed. Even if 20% of those voted No, you'd still have 25% of the total seniority list voting Yes to the cuts to save their jobs/positions. Then you have the 10% of the pilots who vote for "whatever is best for the company", no matter what. That's 35% of the pilot group. Say 5% more who don't want to be back on reserve with that reduction, and now you're at 40% of the pilot group voting Yes. All they need from the rest of the pilots is 1 in 4 of them to vote Yes for the concessions, and it would be done.

No one is going to stand up and fight it as vocally as we did, as they see what's happened to the person who last spoke out so vocally AND there's no "safe" ground to lobby from in this scenario.

Fear is a powerful motivator and, if concessions come to vote from the BoD, especially with a "recommend" endorsement and, IMHO, even with a "neutral" endorsement, I think it will pass. Not that I'm saying it should, I just understand the old ALPA adage that's true no matter what union you work under:

"Hearts and minds"...

I'm not so sure about that... especially if the company comes out and says they're looking to furlough 200-300 guys if they don't get "temporary cuts".

If they furlough 300, then I'll be in the line of fire, and I'll still vote NO to any concessions to supposedly save my own job.

Besides the not-so-fuzzy response I got from PL

Remarkable restraint on your part in responding to him. I probably would have gone off. The sad thing is that he's the BOD member that I trust more than any of the rest of them. If he thinks that way, then what are the rest thinking?

Fear is a powerful motivator and, if concessions come to vote from the BoD, especially with a "recommend" endorsement and, IMHO, even with a "neutral" endorsement, I think it will pass.

I'm not so sure. I don't doubt that the NPA BOD would agree to it, but I don't think the pilot group would accept it. The sentiment I'm picking up on the line, even from the senior guys, doesn't seem to be conducive to concessions. But I could be wrong.

Latest resources

Back