• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran pilot staffing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why are tickets on Airtran more expensive than tickets on DAL? I wanted to fly on AirTran, but I am not going to pay more to do it. I don't get it?

JT,

While I appreciate what you are saying, unfortunately I am being literal when I say that I can't afford the job at 70 hrs/month. I've been furloughed from my first major airline job for 6 years now and even as a 4th year f/o at AAI, I'm still making 50% less than I was back in 2002. I've had to burn through all my savings and have gone into debt just to make ends meet the last 6 years.

I'm not trying to give the sob story to garner sympathy. I am just saying I have nothing left to give to the airlines. At some point, I need to start making more money than I owe!

I agree with you, i'd rather be on the street than give any concessions..

Not to bust your balls but this is a classic example of what not to do when you are a newhire. Don't assume that the money is always going to go up just because you see the pay rates posted in front of you for the next 15 years. Too many newhires do this and end up where you are!

At FedEx it might come down to a 58 hourly gurantee so no one gets forloughed. You guys might want to consider this option.

I know this is a difficult time for everyone and I can appreciate and understand both sides of the concession argument.

I am a 3+ year f/o making 4th year f/o pay and I can tell you right now that I cannot make ends meet if we go to 70 hour lines. If they do decide to do that, I had better get 18-20 days off so that I can find a part time job. I won't be able to afford to keep this job if it's 70 hrs and 13-14 days off.

My other point is this... Taking any kind of concession would be such a tiny tiny drop in the bucket right now, why should we? We (fo) are so horribly underpaid as it is, why should we be punished more when we know that it won't really help the company's financial situation anyway?

It's like putting down 1 sandbag in front of your house when the flood waters are coming. How does that help at all?

Then maybe you should'nt be living above your means buddy. If you cant live off a 70 hr gurantee at 66 in hour something is wrong with you, not the company. Also min gurantee lines arent concessions, god its amazing how stupid some people truely are!!!

z man,

How do you know what his means are? Maybe his wife can't work. Maybe he's had a few rugrats in the past 5 to 6 years. Maybe you should let the brother vent. Im not in as dire straits as him, but as someone about to go on year 4 fo pay at the Tranny Im not too thrilled about what may happen here either. Some of us are tired of being ******************** on by management that continue to take huge bonuses and drive cars that cost more than my house. And then being told we are losing this and that because of gas prices. Should we lower the guarentee to keep guys off the street, absolutely. Should we consider paycuts F*&^ NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Has Fornaro and company given they're bonus back from Jan. I doubt it. Have they announced they would not take a salary for the rest of the year, negative on that one too. Some of us have given alot for this career. We all make choices I know, but some were made for us!

At Fedex you are paid a much greater hourly rate.

It doesn't matter. Think about the folks who started this company... What would they do? Where do you think the original Airtran pilots came from. You guys will do the right thing.

Last edited:
Then maybe you should'nt be living above your means buddy. If you cant live off a 70 hr gurantee at 66 in hour something is wrong with you, not the company. Also min gurantee lines arent concessions, god its amazing how stupid some people truely are!!!

I have to say this is an blanket statement of ignorance. I am not protecting the practise of spending more than you make. Life is a little more complicated than living in your parents basement forever as well. I have lived in ATL and it is an expensive area. Even if you live in Newnan and drive to work with two kids, and a wife. There isn't much left over.

I admire the guys at FedEx if they do that. Yes, they make more an hour but it shows true unity to sacrifice income. I am a firm believer in living within your means, but how many of us can say it wouldn't hurt a little to lose 12 or more hours of pay to keep your fellow brothers and sisters on the job. Gives new meaning to fly safe and stay unified there are several carriers inc mine that could probably learn from this

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back