• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran pilot staffing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know this is a difficult time for everyone and I can appreciate and understand both sides of the concession argument.

I am a 3+ year f/o making 4th year f/o pay and I can tell you right now that I cannot make ends meet if we go to 70 hour lines. If they do decide to do that, I had better get 18-20 days off so that I can find a part time job. I won't be able to afford to keep this job if it's 70 hrs and 13-14 days off.

My other point is this... Taking any kind of concession would be such a tiny tiny drop in the bucket right now, why should we? We (fo) are so horribly underpaid as it is, why should we be punished more when we know that it won't really help the company's financial situation anyway?

It's like putting down 1 sandbag in front of your house when the flood waters are coming. How does that help at all?

A 70 hour line is not a concession. Before the company furloughs a single pilot, every line should be scaled back to 70 hours.

PCL, I agree that 70 hour lines is not a concession, it is simply the monthly guarentee. People will simply have to vote their consciencous when the time comes. I guess people have gotten used to 90 hour months though.

Last edited:
A 70 hour line is not a concession. Before the company furloughs a single pilot, every line should be scaled back to 70 hours.
Amen Bro! My family and I would agree on this one. I hope the union and management can see the faces of my family once they agree on the furlough if that is what it comes down to.

I totally agree. I didn't mean to imply that we furlough instead of taking 70 hr lines. I just want to make sure they build efficient lines - not like last fall when I had a 73 hr line and 13 days off. Like I said, I'll need another job if we do this, so i'm going to need as much time off as possible.

I usually average about 85 hrs a month, so this would be the equivelant of a $12K pay cut over the course of a year....

I am a 3+ year f/o making 4th year f/o pay and I can tell you right now that I cannot make ends meet if we go to 70 hour lines. If they do decide to do that, I had better get 18-20 days off so that I can find a part time job. I won't be able to afford to keep this job if it's 70 hrs and 13-14 days off.

I use to think like that about leaving my last job for here. Combined with wanting to spend more time with the family while my kids were still young I didn't think I could make ends meet.

Well I have noticed that I took a 30% pay cut, did major repairs on the cars and stuff around the house, and I have more money in the bank than I ever have. You would be surprised how much money you can save if you really look at what you spend on a daily basis. What you can live without might surprise yourself.

As for concessions I would rather be on the street than comeback here for less pay. It wouldn't be much of a difference then, so what would be the point of concessions. Concessions would be a joke. I would rather collect unemployment. Hey they might extend benefits too!

One thing about fuel prices is it puts the 40% paycuts by others in perspective. The fuel prices have made the 40% paycuts by others seem
infinitesimal compared to the costs the airlines face now. It kinda proves that the airlines would have done just fine without 40% concessions, and shows what it took to kill the industry.

However, as a junior pilot I would be humbled by the brotherhood here if a line reduction of 5-8 hours was taken by the group, so I could stay off the street.

Last edited:
Cutting the ALV will happen and should happen to keep guys off of the street. Anyone who says otherwise has never been furloughed.

How are you going to look at that 61 year old next to you when you get your notice of furlough?? Nice going ALPA on that one BTW.

We are taking delivery of roughly 70 -800s over the next 2 years. I wasn't sure if those would be readily available or if some carriers were canceling their -800 orders/ options.

AAflyer

Slots are slots. It doesn't matter if they are -700s, -800s, or -900ERs. If a slot becomes available it can be whatever the customer who gets the slot wants. If you look at the line in Renton there are -700s, -800s and -900ERs in line together.

JT,

While I appreciate what you are saying, unfortunately I am being literal when I say that I can't afford the job at 70 hrs/month. I've been furloughed from my first major airline job for 6 years now and even as a 4th year f/o at AAI, I'm still making 50% less than I was back in 2002. I've had to burn through all my savings and have gone into debt just to make ends meet the last 6 years.

I'm not trying to give the sob story to garner sympathy. I am just saying I have nothing left to give to the airlines. At some point, I need to start making more money than I owe!

I agree with you, i'd rather be on the street than give any concessions..

I will not entertain concessions at AirTran. I would rather go teach high school than give up pay, we as pilots do too much to try and save the company money. I am not asking for the world but concessions are not the answer.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back