AirTran pilot arrested?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PurpleInMEM said:
From the Communist News Network: "The captain neither took command of the aircraft nor was the aircraft operated in any manner," the airline said.

If he neither took command of the aircraft nor was the aircraft operated in any manner, what's the guy guilty of? Is it illegal to be hammered in an aircraft terminal while wearing a pilot uniform? Because up until you take "command" you're not a pilot...just a guy walking around with a piece of DOT cardboard in your wallet.

As far as the TSA is concerned...when did they become the self appointed guardians of virtuous flight? Sounds like just another case of someone who can't possibly keep his mouth shut.

Sorry but, I am NOT my brother's keeper!

Aviation would be a much better place if we'd all just mind our own business.

From what I understand, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that if you are suspected of having alcohol in your system then local authorities can intervene by applying their "Operating a Motor Vehicle while under the Influence" law. With that being said I can understand how one can be arrested with "intent" Guys it has been going on all over the place people have been getting arrested and charged with DUI's simply for sleeping in their cars after a few drinks because they had "access" it is a reckless and inappropriate application of DUI law in my view. I can understand how they are trying to make a stretch to apply this logic to air crews. I believe that the case against the America West pilots in Florida was thrown out because Florida doesn't have jurisdiction to enforce an FAR. Anyway I hate TSA. What a waste of tax payers money. Can you imagine? One day flipping burgers, the next day you have enforcement authority over a professional pilot.

Last edited:
Oakum_Boy said:
Everyone makes mistakes, including pilots...
Yes, we all screw up, however, going to work with a measurable blood alcohol level is far beyond a mere screw-up because it's intentional. As pilots were taught to recognize and fix our screw-ups. He didn't have some temporary lack of good judgement; every step he took that evening from putting on his uniform until entering the cockpit was a screw-up. Not to mention, we are trusted by the FAA and our employers to self-certify that we're fit to fly. In conclusion, I don't "feel" for this guy. No doubt what he's going through is unpleasant but that's the price to be paid. If he's lucky maybe some day he'll earn his way back into the cockpit like that Northwest guy did.

If he neither took command of the aircraft nor was the aircraft operated in any manner, what's the guy guilty of? Is it illegal to be hammered in an aircraft terminal while wearing a pilot uniform? Because up until you take "command" you're not a pilot...just a guy walking around with a piece of DOT cardboard in your wallet.

No, you are not permitted to be hammered in a pilot uniform, whether at the airport or not. No airline I've ever worked for allows crewmembers to drink in uniform.

The 'not taking command' nonsense is just that. That's code for they didn't push back from the gate yet.

As for you NOT being your brothers keeper... nice. Great crew concept there.

Well, IF he blew a .04, then the gloves are off. We should know better. He made a mistake. If there is any doubt, call in sick. What's the worst that would happen? I'll bet he wished he did that.

If it's true, then score one for the tsA. It will be the first time they're right about a pilot being under the influence. Now if they could just find a few more of the weapons......

Last edited:
Like my daddy used to say, The day he couldn't do his job drunk was the day he would hang up his badge and gun!

PurpleInMEM said:
From the Communist News Network: "The captain neither took command of the aircraft nor was the aircraft operated in any manner," the airline said.

As far as the TSA is concerned...when did they become the self appointed guardians of virtuous flight? Sounds like just another case of someone who can't possibly keep his mouth shut.

This is the scariest post here.

First when you show up to the airport in uniform you are ready for duty. If your company policy says 45 mins, but you show 50 mins, are you going to argue you are not on duty? After all, why are you there. Are you going to say talk to hand cause I an't working for 4 more minutes? Also, if the ticket counter asks you a question about the flight, you are a acting as a crew member, whether its 90 mins or 9 mins before departure.

The fact that you made the effort to bold and underline your statement confirms how you really feel.

We are our brothers keeper. We take of our own. We police our own, so the company and gov't doesn't think they have to be over our shoulders everyday. You look out for your fellow pilots. When you see them in the bar at the wrong time, you get them out. You make them call in sick and you get them in the HIMS program. WHOA! you say...that's not my job! Well it takes more guts to protect your brothers then say....

Screw him, stupid jerk. Which translates to.. I'm perfect and that would never happen to me. I am a lion in the Law of the Jungle.

What's better? Making sure the guy calls in sick and protecting him AND your company from bad press AND getting him the proper medical care... or saying...

I'm not my bothers keeper and let a problem fester. Ignoring or shunning it is the same as allowing it to happen.

You guys are weak and soft.....disapointing..... Why don't you get off flightinfo and google 'alcoholism'.

Do us all a favor and get educated, so we don't have to weed thru your self gratifying mantra.....

Last edited:
PurpleInMEM you are compltely out of line.

Sorry but, you ARE a jerk!

No it wouldn't.
Imagine how much better this guys life would be RIGHT NOW if just one person on that crew van had said "I think you need to call in sick". Or even better said something at the bar. And BTW this clearly was his crew's business: if I were his FO I know that I am not flying with this guy today - I'd rather handle this "in house" and give this guy the option of saving his career ... Ooops I guess I am not "minding my own business".

This has become a TSA issue because too many of us have taken your attitude. It is time to grow up and take our resonsibility to the traveling public, our companies and each other seriously.

Big Beer Belly said:
On the record: You sir, are a fool. Apparently it is not obvious to you, which is even more distressing. You are telling everyone on this board (and the FAA) that you have witnessed crew members violate the 8 hour no alcohol FAA regulation (FAR) and you failed to notify the appropriate authorities. I would love to hear your explanation at an FAA and company enforcement/disciplinary hearing, especially a post-incident inquiry investigation.

Off the record: do not ever put yourself in a position in which you knowingly observe any crew member violate the 8 hour no alcohol FAR. Approaching the 8 hour point, EXCUSE yourself from your colleagues and get the hell out of there if there is even the remotest chance some jerk will violate his window. Failing the above action, you have placed your ticket in jeopardy for failing to notify the FAA over a willful FAR violation (according to an FAA aviation inspector acquaintance).\+++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++

Oh Beer Belly..
Don't call me a fool...

I did NOT tell everyone and the FAA anything..
Reread my post...

I have never operated an aircraft with someone intoxicated or under the influence...

I have seen people drink right up to the 8 hour mark..

That to me is pusher your luck..

And its more than an "8 hour no alcohol FAA regulation" as you so eloquently state.
It is a minimum... and you can not be under the detrimental influence of ANY drug ...

I believe the BAC is .02 for the FAA.

Nice username by the way...
Are you a little defensive about something?

Last edited:
GUILTY!!

Oliver Paul Reason Jr., 37

Shame on you,
Your a disgrace to the profession Oliver Paul Reason Jr., 37

Latest resources

Back