• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran pilot arrested?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does the "Budweiser Brewhouse" have a restaurant beside the bar?
Even if it does, that's probably suspect interpretation of your Operations Guide or whatever you call your company manual. Most all of those books have something in them about eating in a "bar" environment in a way that would cause you to be recognized as a pilot. You didn't state that you were in uniform, but if a passenger thinks you are a pilot, I suspect you must have had something to indicate your profession.

I woodn't (intentional spelling mistake for the bored) even carry a hat into a place that was named "BudweiserBrewhouse". But I'm chicken AND paranoid.

I wouldn't call smelling alochol on a pilots breath and then reporting it to authorities a "Wild Accusation".....especially considerint the fact that the pilot went on to fail 2 breathalizers. If you don't want the TSA to smell booze on you then don't show up in the security line drunk. I'm not the biggest TSA fan but if they smell booze on a pilot they they SHOULD indeed report it to the proper authorities.

I was surprised to see that Leno didn't even mention the FFDO/Gun twist to the story. Seems he had a better punchline using the fact that "you know you've really had too much when people in Vegas notice you are drunk."

Lequip said:
Hey David Siegel,

I had sex with YOUR woman and YOUR Mama polished my shoes last night with her nasty tongue.

Get a life man. You have nothing to add to anything. Nobody that posts here is totally free of spelling/grammar mistakes ect. ect. If you have nothing better to do than point out the misuse of your vs you're then I have a suggestion for you >>> GO GET LAID !!

I'm just trying to help you, so that you don't continue to be viewed as an inarticulate ignorant aviator instead of the consummate professional I assumed you were trying to be. Wow, YOU'RE quick with the insults though. As a matter of fact, my mother DID polish shoes, and she worked hard and tried to teach me the right way to be. Obviously, you spent too much time away from the Little House on the Prairie (probably chasing after Half Pint). I feel sorry for you, so I choose to forgive you for YOUR malicious personal attacks. I think everyone here knows just how insecure you are. At least FLB717 had a good sense of humor about it. Hopefully you'll get one soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lequip
Oliver Paul Reason Jr., 37 of Airtran Airways. You failed your breath test and showed up drunk. Your dumba$ should have called in sick. How can anybody feel for such an idiot! Your a disgrace to the uniform and profession. At least they caught the guy. Good heads up TSA for weeding out a bad seed.

Hey, I know Paul! In his defense I'd just like to say he's not a "bad seed". He's always been a good hard working guy that has in the past stood up for pilots in our own union in an effort to make things better for all of us. Yes he screwed up. But believe me, when a guy has a Wife and kids, as Paul does, he doesn't need any reminders.

He has made a mess of what most people would consider great life and career. After ten spotless years with the company he stumbled. As tragic as this is for him and his family, we as pilots can at least learn from it.

In one sense, your quote is well taken. As of late, this kind of thing is happening far to often in our industry when a simple phone call can nip it in the bud. There gunnin for us boys, please be carefull out there and save us all the embarrassment.

CALL IN SICK!!! It's that simple.

If the news reports accurate - which from my experience is not likely - I find it interesting that he was arrested before actually being given a breathalizer. Arrested on the word of the screener, that's a little scary.

Loogie said:
If the news reports accurate - which from my experience is not likely - I find it interesting that he was arrested before actually being given a breathalizer. Arrested on the word of the screener, that's a little scary.

Semantics. Long before there was a TSA and seperate and apart from the formalized alchohol/drug testing programs, pilots have always been required by regulation (unless I've been reading them wrong for the last couple decades..which is entirely possible), to submit to an alchohol test if asked to by any local, state, or fed law enforcement officer. I guess it's up to the officer what constitutes suspicion for him to ask for one. Law enforcement has the power to investigate and detain people if they think that person might pose a threat to public safety...they'd be remiss if they didn't.

Most likely the formal arrest was made after blowing above the limit, but no doubt LEO's and those watching have been made aware of the Fargo incident, where the authorities didn't think they had authority to ask for a test without some kind of blatant proof before the crew blasted off.

Dave Siegel said:
I'm just trying to help you, so that you don't continue to be viewed as an inarticulate ignorant aviator ... I think everyone here knows just how insecure you are.

This is actually part of his court-ordered therapy...and yes, it's helping but I doubt we'll ever see the results because he is not a 'professional' aviator.

There has never been a commercial airline fatality in the contiguous 48 states attributed to a pilot under the influence of alcohol. NEVER. This is society and media sensationalism. Fatigue is the biggest killer. Educate your fellow passengers about this factoid should they ever give you grief about pilots and drinking. I don't advocate drinking and flying, but I like for people to get real to the facts instead of a bunch of hyped up myths.

Last edited:
Unbeliveable..

Some people just have it all... So many guys working for peanuts and investing everything they have to get to a positon to live the "life" and this guys HAS all of it and PIsses it away.

He was number 66 on the airtran sr list, and 37 years old. That is some sick sh*t.

Latest resources

Back