• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran or NetJets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One thing to really think about is this.

Can you handle constant change? Can you handle having to think on your feet every day and having the resources to do it but for the most part its you, your partner and an unlimited credit card.

A lot of people that come here (nj) don't quite understand what we do and how much change is involved. For myself I thrive on it. Not knowing where we are going from one leg to the next. Getting changes inflight to new destinations. Thinking you're headed to canada and the trip now changes to mexico. No problem.

This is what I see most people have a problem with. The bags, I don't load them there are line service and tips for that. Cleaning an airplane? If it can't be cleaned up with a dustbuster then i have the plane detailed.

I enjoy doing the non precision circling approaches into non english speaking countries. Its a whole different type of flying. The company gives you the tools you need you have to know what to do with them. Sometimes it takes some inginuity to make it work.

Good luck with your decision.

PS i have 3 periods of vacation a year. 1 period= 3 weeks so yes thats 9 weeks of vacation a year.

I enjoy doing the non precision circling approaches into non english speaking countries. Its a whole different type of flying. The company gives you the tools you need you have to know what to do with them. Sometimes it takes some inginuity to make it work.

You're right, there's nothing more fun than a non-precision approach at night to an unfamiliar airport, at the tail end of a 14 hour day. Yee-Haw!

PS i have 3 periods of vacation a year. 1 period= 3 weeks so yes thats 9 weeks of vacation a year.

I do that with all three weeks of my vacation too. Except, this year I turned mine into blocks of 23 days off, so yes, that's one day short of 10 weeks of vacation a year.

I'd like to add a few more comparisons.

Domiciles-New hires are based in one of 5 at the present. There are possibilities of changing domiciles through contractual language, but I won't go into the lengthy details about that. Major goal in the next contract is fly from home for all, as our collegues at NJI and all hired at NJA before current CBA have.

Vacation-one week means three weeks off. After one year of service, that's six weeks off per year (two weeks vacation), and after five years, it's nine weeks off (three weeks vacation).

Schedule-Don't have to bid 7/7. I agree with other posts. Seven days is way too long. I'm on the reserve schedule, which is not like the airline reserve schedule. All it means is you "may" be working up to 18 days/month. No crash pads required, as your brief is sent out the night before your tour begins, and show time can NEVER change to an earlier time. Only changes allowed are show at home or hotel. Crew Resource will inform you of your schedule for the month.

Length of Duty-14 hours is possible, but if you or your crewmate are tired, the fatique word gets you 14 hrs rest, at least, no questions or stigs attached.

Pay-I'm well into 6 figures in my 6th year. OT and holiday pay add about 25% to my base. Although it may more typically be 10-15% for most pilots. Day one OT for all time before 0800 local and after 9 hrs of duty. I'm all for a 14 hour day with an 0400 show on day one. That's 9 hrs OT on day one alone. All other days OT kicks in after 12 hrs of duty.

Upgrade-May be 2.5 years today, but things always change. We have over 1000 jets on order (comes from Aviation Week and Space Tech, Sept 15, 2003 edition), and a big announcement is in the wind for the NBAA meeting next week. Most junior upgrade to date is number 1800 of approximately 2500 pilots. Goal is to hire at least 400 pilots per year indefinitely.

Other Bennies-We keep all hotel points, airline miles, and bonus bucks from FBOs like Avtrip, Atlantic Bucks, etc. Hotel points will get a free week or more annually in a five star in Hawaii, Rome, and many other great spots. Always get upgraded to executive rooms for free, almost always get free breakfast and free high speed internet. Hotels are all ranked, and the typical properties are Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, Crown Plaza. No Motel 6 or equivalent.

As previously stated, the worst part of the job is riding in the back of a cattle car to your jet. At least you get occational upgrades to first, especially if you are based in ATL, DFW or other major hubs and reach Silver Elite status. Company pays for all commutes too, unless, like the airlines, you live many miles from your domicile. Until all have fly from home, it is a big factor for some since we have no jumpseat priviledges.

Fractional is not for everyone, but another perspective is from those on the recall lists that are seriously considering not going back. A good friend at NWA believes they will have to ask 200 to get 50 back this year, so it's not just those at NJA. Good luck to all in whatever path you take.

Last edited:
That would be reason enough for me to choose Airtran.

I think the point he is trying to make is at least at Netjets you have the choice at age 60. One thing I didn't mention above is that we will never lose our pension. Don't have one. 401k with a decent company match will give you a better opportunity to make that decision an easier one when you do reach age 60.

I think the point he is trying to make is at least at Netjets you have the choice at age 60. One thing I didn't mention above is that we will never lose our pension. Don't have one. 401k with a decent company match will give you a better opportunity to make that decision an easier one when you do reach age 60.

I understood what he was trying to convey. I guess I should have put a smiley face after my post. I am adamantly opposed to raising the retirement age for 121 carriers, therefore my post was a little tongue-in-cheek.

I will never lose my pension either, so that's more of an apples to apples comparison.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back