• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran or NetJets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have been at NJs for almost a year now. Would not go back to airlines. They 2 worst things about the NJ job is.....airlining and taxi cabs.

If you like to drive to the airport 4 times a month....go airline.
if you like going thru security lines .....go airline.
like McDonalds....airlines.
like schedules.....airlines
like reserve....airlines.
like bad management....airlines.

The pay at NJs, isnt that bad. Benefits are much better (free medical insurance). The customers (owners) are very nice. The variety is great.

I do miss the travel benefits, but I dont miss the crowded terminals.

Airtran.

At NJA you will probably get a Sunday start which means you will go to work on Sunday and come home Saturday. It will be quite some time before you could ever have a weekday start and then you still will NEVER have the opportunity to have weekends off.

Also, not having to shlep some owners bags around was a plus as well.

Good luck with your descision.

I have had Wed starts right out of training. And I didnt even bid it, was by default. Every other weekend, I have a 7 day weekend.

As far as "shleping" bags. At most you will only have 3 passenger flights in one day. Usually light on the bags. Not that big of deal. Granted there are those flights that have a full load with tons of bags, oh well. I would rather throw 4 or 5 bags, rather than wait for an hour for the rampers.

I'd say you got lucky on the wed starts and congrats. You can't be bumped. As for 3 legs per day I don't know what fleet your in unless its the 2000. EVERYONE humps it at NJA except for the falcons.

skiandsurf,

Most of the people here responded to BengalsFan with well though out, sincere responses. You on the other hand can't resist a smart arse, highly exaggerated, and obviously biased post that doesn't help anyone. Some of your points are valid and I am glad that you are happy at NJ's, but shut the he!! up if your not going to post something useful.

skiandsurf,

Most of the people here responded to BengalsFan with well though out, sincere responses. You on the other hand can't resist a smart arse, highly exaggerated, and obviously biased post that doesn't help anyone. Some of your points are valid and I am glad that you are happy at NJ's, but shut the he!! up if your not going to post something useful.

Not sure what you mean. I only try to post factual points. They might be slightly biased, but factual none the less.

On the X.

This trip....day 1....1 transcon flight w/5 pax and a repo....6 hrs overtime.
Day 2.....2 pax flights and a repo....3 people total....5 bags....wow...tough. .2.5 hrs overtime.
Day 3.....hotel till 2pm. hang at FBO on the computer and nice Crew lounge with recliners......better then any terminal.

Sorry, just the facts.

I have been at NJs for almost a year now. Would not go back to airlines. They 2 worst things about the NJ job is.....airlining and taxi cabs.

If you like to drive to the airport 4 times a month....go airline.
if you like going thru security lines .....go airline.
like McDonalds....airlines.
like schedules.....airlines
like reserve....airlines.
like bad management....airlines.

The pay at NJs, isnt that bad. Benefits are much better (free medical insurance). The customers (owners) are very nice. The variety is great.

I do miss the travel benefits, but I dont miss the crowded terminals.

This is the post I was referring to, along with the other NJ vs. Airline post about a month ago.

You go through security at least twice a week.
I still don't get the McDonald's crack.
Just because you were on perpetual reserve at Fly I and Mesa, doesn't mean it's the norm for airlines.
Explain to me how all airlines have bad management and NJ management is good. You didn't drink that Kool-Aide they were passing out, did you?
Free medical is good, but are you sure all of your combined benefits are better than mine?
Come on, nice passengers? Hardly a reason to jump ship to the frac's. Not dealing with passengers at all is better than nice passengers.
Don't forget, you still go to those crowded terminals and ride in the back of that crowded airliner at least twice a week.

Lets not get into a pissing contest.

Comparing NJA to AirTran is, to borrow an old phrase, comparing apples to oranges.

Saying that one is exciting while the other is routine or comparing flexibility to consistency is not a fair comparison.

Neither one is better they are simply truly different. You also have to look at who is giving you the information on the particular company. Is a 121 guy telling you the frax are bad because he/she did corporate once in their life. Is a frax guy/gal telling you the 121 world sucks because they came from a bottom feading regional or were furloughed? I had airline guys at NJA telling me to get the hell out and go get a flying job instead of the "everything else" NJA job. I also had 121 guys say they wouldnt go back if they had the chance.
From my experience the 121 guys I knew who were furloughed or had retired said go. The lifestyle was better and for me it has been that way.

Which ever way you choose just make the descision and don't look back. Second guessing your descision will only frustrate you more.

Go with what's gonna make you happy. There's plenty of pro's & cons to both companies. Whatever you do, try to avoid commuting. QOL is so much better.

And this stuff about taxi lines & such.....don't let that sway you. I've waited as long or longer at HPN or TEB with crap weather on a Friday afternoon than at some of the major 121 fields. It's all part of the job, whether you're in a Super-Flycorpwhizjet, or a McAirBoeingpeopletube.:pimp:

my .02

Last edited:
I will admit that not everyone likes the fractional flying. It is a different type of flying. For me, it is right up my alley. But then again I was happy at my previous airline job as well.

For me, I explain it like this.....how many of you used to go out building flight time by renting a plane and flying to off the wall places with a friend or two, just to build time. If you did that, was it a good time. I know I did that a few times and had a blast going to places I never heard of, just for somewhere to go. Well that is what this flying is like. One day you are in an uncontolled airport in BFE. Later that day you are flying a transcon to SFO. Then maybe off to Hawaii.

I did the IAD-BUF-IAD-ROC-IAD-BUF for too many years. This is a nice change.

But it may not be for you or the next guy.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back