• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran or NetJets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tough decision. Lots of good info from others to help you make the decision that works best for you. One thing I will say is that I hope your Bengals get crushed this weekend (even though I think Marvin Lewis is a great coach).

I am tired of 121. It's like Groundhog Day. The same destinations over and over again. While I am a fan of both the 717 and the 73G, I personally would want the ability to fly more advanced aircraft like the Sovereign and Falcon 2000Easy through the end of my career - that's my opinion and probably not shared by others. Some people couldn't care less.

At the end of the day, I'd rather fly Tiger Woods or a movie star in a Citation X from Santa Monica to Jackson Hole on a 7/7 schedule than fly Floyd and Cletus from ATL to Gulfport or Pensacola. Sure, not every Netjets flight would be a glammor flight and the Citation X crews, for example, are worked very, very hard from what I hear, but that would still be an improvement over the monotony of 121 flying in my mind. I am sure ex-Netjets guys will beg to differ. By the way, I wouldn't mind getting tipped for throwing bags every once and awhile either - I need the exercise.

That's just my opinion and I haven't made the change yet - but I am seriously looking at it... Regardless, both Air Tran and Netjets would make fine choices depending on your own preferences. Horses for courses...

Last edited:
Sure, pay is an obvious issue here, but...

Of course in this business, like many others in life, start with who you know, and work from that. If you don't know anyone at NJ, then your chances of getting on there are most likely far slimmer than having a shot at AirTran.

I think this one really comes down to the type of environment you want to work in...because they're different as night and day in this case. And of course, the usual schedule and location issues.

At the end of the day, I'd rather fly Tiger Woods or a movie star in a Citation X from Santa Monica to Jackson Hole on a 7/7 schedule than fly Floyd and Cletus from ATL to Gulfport or Pensacola. ...

Don't talk that way about our Chief Pilot!!

if you like cleaning the lav, stocking the airplane, loading all the damn bags, getting the coffee, ice, and newspapers, and sitting endlessly in fbo's go to net jets...i spent a year in the fractionals and it sucked....bad. i'd go to air tran anyday over any fractional.

Also, a few of you have mentioned that I would work less at AirTran. How many 3-4 day trips would one have every month... ie How many days do you work in a month?

Line holders average 15 days off a month, mostly 4 day trips, lately seems like a mix of 3 and 4 day trips, some 2 day back to backs.

Bengals,

Let me add this on top of the PM I sent you...

Personally, I would go with an airline job rather than a fractional for all the reasons mentioned above.

Schlepping bags, fetching coffee, hanging around FBO's, and never knowing when and where you are going would drive me nuts.

But then again I'm an Anal-Retentive, Obsessive-Compulsive, Control Freak.

I also like to plan my Beer drinking accordingly...Thats tough to do when you don't know when you're flying.

YKW

Bengals,

Let me add this on top of the PM I sent you...

Personally, I would go with an airline job rather than a fractional for all the reasons mentioned above.

Schlepping bags, fetching coffee, hanging around FBO's, and never knowing when and where you are going would drive me nuts.

But then again I'm an Anal-Retentive, Obsessive-Compulsive, Control Freak.

I also like to plan my Beer drinking accordingly...Thats tough to do when you don't know when you're flying.

YKW

I would go with Netjets. I have done major airline flying and I far prefer the corporate/fractional alternative. I enjoy the varied destinations and the interaction with my passengers - I had neither in the airline world. I know a few Jet Blue pilots who were former Netjets drivers and they regret moving over to the 121 side for the above reasons.

I have heard that the QOL and pay at Netjets have improved markedly given the new contract - I think many of the former Netjets drivers who have responded to this post were probably there during the difficult pre-new contract period where it got a bit ugly and many people left... I have heard life is much better there now than before.

Both are good choices but I would go to Netjets in the end.

Netjets. The same old routine would drive me nuts. If you want to just enter the aircraft and immediately turn left and close the door, go to AirTran. I'd rather sit at a comfy FBO in Florida or Eagle than sit in that congo line several times every day at ATL. Flying in and out of that airport every day would be a big downer. That's my $0.02.

Personally, I like the 121 world. I don't buy the same old destinations argument that the frax guys use to disparage airline flying. At my last airline we had over 100 destinations. It takes a while to get bored with that many places to go, especially since you can bid to go to the places you haven't been to yet. Granted, it may not be Aspen or St. Croix, but for every time a frax guy goes to those places they also go to Peoria, Gallup and Bemidji.

I'm not knocking the frax. There are many things about the frax world I find appealing. Some exotic destinations for one. Interesting pax for another. When I weigh the pluses and minuses of 121 vs frax the airline business fits me better, but I'm positive I would enjoy working at NetJets too. If NetJets would lose the 5 domicile thing it would sway my decision heavily. Their new contract looks pretty good and although I'm not crazy about the 7/7 schedule I could probably live with it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back