• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran or JetBlue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the Industry consolidates and some of the legacies merge as some annalists are predicting. The resulting networks with their very profitable International markets and their low operational costs resulting from newly negotiated agreements with employees, vendors and consolidation of fleets. Will support a price war within the limited market of the LCC's that will crush this companies. I hope I'm wrong but I see the next Peoples Express written all over this two companies.
The good news is that the resulting legacy carriers will create a hiring boom even greater than before 9/11. With over 50% of their seniority lists to retire in the next 10 years

Alright, no one likes a spelling nazi but come one. Are we educated at all??

It's analysts, not annalists.
"... vendors and consolidation of fleets. Will support a price war..." Proper grammar and punctuation would be nice.
"...all over this two companies." I think you mean these two companies.

For crying out loud, have a little pride. Dumb pilot ehh?

The good news is that the resulting legacy carriers will create a hiring boom even greater than before 9/11. With over 50% of their seniority lists to retire in the next 10 years

Consolidation will cause the loss of thousands of potentialpilot jobs -- both at the legacy and regional level. Actual jobs may disappear as well. Lots of retirements at CAL and (soon) NWA may mitigate this. Very few at UAL and DAL. AA has about 2,800 furloughees to recall.

Hiring bom? Is this Yip?

I'd say go to the first one that hires you... They're both good, solid companies with great employees. However, I'd side with our management as they are here for the long haul to see this company succeed. Additionally, with a new training facility, two new hangars, a hotel on the way, and a brand new 27-gate terminal being built in JFK and an 11-gate terminal in BOS equates to a lot of potential growth.

Go to UPS or FDX, if not then go to SWA or CAL.

Jetblue downsides - you clean the cabin.
Valujet downsides- you have to fly with ty.

Enough said. Work Hard! Fly Right!!

Where would you go if you were offered the job?

Scud,

Look at both companies, and try to decide who has the best business plan. Don't decide based on where the crew base is or who pays a few dollars per hour more, or who has the best retirement.

All these things can can change at a moments notice. At my prior legacy carrier we were paid well, had a great retirement, great group of fellow coworkers, but not much of a biz plan. Quickly after 15 years there, I found myself on the street with no retirement and no job.

The bottom line is don't make your decision simply based on shallow views. Look at the entire picture.

Airtran and JetBlue are pretty even right now, so that one is a tough call.

No Hotel at AirTran.. no fancy training center .. ours is leased and owned by Boeing. No lovey dovey junk.. No cute names on our jets.. No Managment love of any work group.. period.. negotiate for your pay and benefits. Old school airline mentality... imagine that.

However, they do a good job keeping the pennies in the bank and not blowing their wad. And there does seem to be fair respect for the pilots and mechanics.. Not so sure bout the other groups.

Fair Pay.. Solid routes..(this week).. Good regular folks flying the line.. No egos.. Good equipment.. Pretty good re-investment in the company infrastructure, although they are having some growing pains.. not too bad.. They are just turning into a large carrier and the challenges are tough.. Probably the same for Jet Blue.

With that said, I like AirTran and make a decent living... decent schedule.. retirement ok for the current environment.. They guys I'm flying with are cool and safe.. .. Never too togh getting to work..

Load em up ... move em out. 35 minute turns with 100 people and 3 wheel chairs.. Oh...yeah.. ground stop in ATL.. update at the top of the next hour. Oh yeah.. Bio clean up in row 10.. call for a seat cushion baby !!

Fly safe, Good Luck... Jet Blue folks seem read nice and they have a good product. I think they will be just fine as well. Pick your poison.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back