AirTran or Continental

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TV9Driver said:
Also, you will make around 45-50K first year at AirTran - I think it's around 25-30k at CO.

AirTran first year pay = $43 per hour. That'd be quite a stretch to get $45K in a year.

calfo said:
AirTran first year pay = $43 per hour. That'd be quite a stretch to get $45K in a year.

Not true...they have significant soft time built into their contract. Their trip/duty rig system is the best in the industry.

-Neal

AlbieF15 said:
Look at how both companies handled last post 9/11 downturn. CAL furloughed 20% ASAP. Airtran employees agreed to temporary wage concessions and kept everyone on property.

How optimistic are you about getting enough seniority to dodge the next furlough?

If airlines do well for next 4-5 years, CAL will seem like a good investment. If the market stutters and staggers along, you might well have wished you had gone somewhere that didn't blink when it axed 20% of its workforce. I'm not knocking CAL--as a business it is doing well and as a place to work (if you are working) the equipment and routes seem exciting. In a downturn, however, know you are cannon fodder.

True, but what's to stop Airtran from furloughing pilots in the next downturn you speak of. They may very well not agree to another concession. You can't base furloughs on the way the airline handled just one evnt.

Go to the airline where you will acquire seniority the fastest. Right now I'd put my money on CAL, they are growing much faster than Airtran, and not only that, there is much more attrition with retirements.

Goodn luck w/ your decision.

Thanks for all the good advice. I have a good woman at home who will support me in anything I do. The international flying isn't a factor in my decsion, because I will get that in the military and have already had my fair share of it.

TV9Driver said:
Reserves are running 1 month at AirTran right now.

This is not true on the 717 side, 3-4 months as I previously stated. Things may have changed in the last two months as I've been out with a blown knee, but most people are still getting the 717. Again, good luck on the decision!

Last edited:
Pulp Fiction said:
Thanks for all the good advice. I have a good woman at home who will support me in anything I do. The international flying isn't a factor in my decsion, because I will get that in the military and have already had my fair share of it.

Don't count out 121 international flying. Much easier than in the military. Bus picked us up at the bottom of the jetbridge and dropped us off there too. 10 minutes to flight plan. Plus 3 man over 8 hours (4 over 12) and with the longer block times you get more days off in between. I LOVED the 767/777 out of ORD east and west. Lots of time off, except around the holidays as I was junior on reserve. I miss it greatly but on the domestic -800 in MIA I am much more senior get to spend the important days at home for a change.

I'd look hard a CO. The best place on the list is to be pulled from the top with retirements and pushed from the bottom with new hires. We have CASS and lots more flights out of DFW to EWR/LGA/JFK than we do to ATL if you need to commute.

In the long run I wish I had done the Reserves, mostly for the medical. That will be a big expense to cover on an uncertain retirement picture. I am looking at starting some kind of business to help with the cashflow and tax deductions. Read RDPD and go buy some rentals in the DFW area. I think prices have been fairly flat over the past few years and there will be some room for appreciation. You won't get rich flying jets anymore but make enough to leverage some cash into other ventures.

Not trying to hijack the thread but anyone Optioneering out there? www.optioneer.com I did ok last year but have suspend trading this year. Anyone getting any good trades?

Unit
ORD International Refugee

BSkin said:
I've been out with a blown knee...

Owwwwch...been there several times, once on a layover. No surgery as of yet. Takes me about 30 days to get back on my feet. Take her slow...

Unit
Bum Knee Club Member

AMRCostUnit said:
Owwwwch...been there several times, once on a layover. No surgery as of yet. Takes me about 30 days to get back on my feet. Take her slow...

Unit
Bum Knee Club Member

Four hour surgery (more complicated than MRI indicated) -- ACL replacement w/ 2/3 of a torn meniscus. How much are the dues for the BKC club 'cause after seeing my first bill with insurance, homey can't afford much until back on the job! Glad I didn't see the bill before being able to donate to the red cross, and I hope all that read this either have, or will.

BSkin said:
I hope all that read this either have, or will.

My wife raised $4400. for hurricane victims this week, and still wrote a check from our account for $250. to the fund . . . . go figure.

Latest resources

Back