AirTran or Continental

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
aa73 said:
True, but what's to stop Airtran from furloughing pilots in the next downturn you speak of.

The Pilot Group . . . the same ones that agreed to it in '01.

Go to the airline where you will acquire seniority the fastest. Right now I'd put my money on CAL, they are growing much faster than Airtran, .

Ah, another brain sturgeon.

CAL has 4500 pilots, and AirTran has 1200. Airtran is hiring more than 20/month. CAL is rumored to hire 60/ month, so, actually, you acquire seniority faster at AirTran.

As for growth, Airtran has expanded at a rate in excess of 20% per year for the 4 years I have been here. So much for your other theory about growth.

Hey, you're 0 for 3, but keep swinging, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Last edited:
“This is not true on the 717 side, 3-4 months as I previously stated.”

Bskins - We have four - 717 new hires (all were in a different class) and two fairly new – 737 fo’s in our crash pad. The only guy who was on reserve for more than a month was a 737 guy who refuses to do stand-ups. All the other guys got about a month reserve, then a month of either a build-up or a stand-up line followed by a hard line. I guess they might be the exception to the rule but I seem to be hearing that 1 possibly 2 months of reserve is now pretty common.

“AirTran first year pay = $43 per hour. That'd be quite a stretch to get $45K in a year.”

Calfo – to my surprise, I think the numbers are pretty accurate. No one flies 70 hours (our min. guarantee), 85-95 hours seem to be the norm.

Pulp Fiction - Good luck with your decision, it's a win-win situation for you! :)

Depends how old you are ? If your over 40.. AirTran. Only 20 to go. Besides... Who wants to sit in EWR on reserve. I'd rather sit in the sun in ATL waiting for ScrewScheduling to ring ya.

What if CAL buys NWA?

Of course.. what if MidEx buys AirScam ? Just a little fun guys...

Good Luck... Have Fun... QOL and commute are pretty heavy items to consider. Best Wishes.

Ty Webb said:
The Pilot Group . . . the same ones that agreed to it in '01.

No matter what the pilot group does, in certain cases they can't prevent management from furloughing.... your body can only take so much kool-aid. If mgt needs to shrink the airline, you will get furloughed.

Ah, another brain sturgeon.

CAL has 4500 pilots, and AirTran has 1200. Airtran is hiring more than 20/month. CAL is rumored to hire 60/ month, so, actually, you acquire seniority faster at AirTran.

As for growth, Airtran has expanded at a rate in excess of 20% per year for the 4 years I have been here. So much for your other theory about growth.

Hey, you're 0 for 3, but keep swinging, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Sorry, no broken clock here, just facts. Not too many pilots are retiring from Airtran right now, so with 60/month at CAL combined with their growth, you would do much better at CAL seniority wise. Airtran can only grow so much domestically. 20% growth is great, but it's limited to the USA. (Unless Airtran starts going Int'l). 20 pilots a month vs 60 a month... duhhh!

I think you meant I'm 3 for 0. Darn dyslexia again, huh?

aa73 said:
True, but what's to stop Airtran from furloughing pilots in the next downturn you speak of. They may very well not agree to another concession. You can't base furloughs on the way the airline handled just one evnt.

Go to the airline where you will acquire seniority the fastest. Right now I'd put my money on CAL, they are growing much faster than Airtran, and not only that, there is much more attrition with retirements.

Goodn luck w/ your decision.

I think the "senior accumulation" will be better at Airtran. The ratio of new aircraft on order to those currently in service is higher. Thus the estimated time to Captain is shorter. I'm not saying one should depend on making Captain in the current time to Captain but looking at that tells you how fast seniority is rising.

If you use the traditional "number of pilots between you and the bottom person" then CAL is your best bet. But I'm betting a nasty downturn would put more CAL pilots on the street than Airtran pilots.

Retirements are big at CAL. At least 5-7% of pilots on the property now every year. Will that actually hurt the company?? It hurt Delta.

But CAL has high profit international and good domestic feed for that international flying. CAL is making good revenue with its assets.

Tough call.

Last edited:
I spent exactly 1 month on reserve at AirTran after my consolidation line the first month, followed by 2 build up lines, then a (hopefully) hard line next month.

As far as pay goes, we are averaging about 90 hours a month right now(including our slow 78 hour Sept). Let's do the math shall we....

90 hours at 43/hr = $3870/month = $46,440 / year plus about $6,000 in per diem a year.

personally, i've been averaging 99 hours a month the four months i've been on line, so I could potentially make significantly more for the year if this keeps up. - or i'll wind up burnt out and dead.

FlyBoeingJets said:
I think the "senior accumulation" will be better at Airtran. The ratio of new aircraft on order to those currently in service is higher. Thus the estimated time to Captain is shorter. I'm not saying one should depend on making Captain in the current time to Captain but looking at that tells you how fast seniority is rising.

If you use the traditional "number of pilots between you and the bottom person" then CAL is your best bet. But I'm betting a nasty downturn would put more CAL pilots on the street than Airtran pilots.

Retirements are big at CAL. At least 5-7% of pilots on the property now every year. Will that actually hurt the company?? It hurt Delta.

But CAL has high profit international and good domestic feed for that international flying. CAL is making good revenue with its assets.

Tough call.

I agree that Captain upgrade is shorter at Airtran, without a doubt. I think it takes two to three years, correct?

However, look at this. If you hire on at CO with a seniority # of, say 4500, and 500 retire this year, you jump up to 4000 at the end of the year. Then, with 60/month from now till next year, you'd have 720 pilots behind you. You'd be # 4000 out of 4720 in one year. Captain upgrade at CO is around the 3500 mark - or another year or two at worst. That makes a 3 year upgrade at CO possible, as well. Plus you'd have almost 1000 pilots behind you, assuming no more downturns, which is more than 20% of the seniority list. I'd say you'd be pretty safe if furloughs do happen (however NOBODY KNOWS!)

If you can run the same numbers at Airtran with captain upgrade possibly being equal, then it is indeed a tough choice. I know Airtran is growing as well. The question is, how big do they plan on becoming, without adding int'l service? Plus, how about attrition? I would assume nobody is leaving Airtran to go to other airlines, so that leaves retirements - are there any going on right now?

I think it's pretty safe to say that both would give you very good seniority.

CAL looks like a better choice than I thought. I change my mind. CAL is better, IMHO.

off topic--Could the disruption of operations at New Orleans hurt CAL and SWA enough to affect hiring this year and next??

What if CAL merges with DAL or NW? Then CAL new hires could concievably get put behind furloughed guys at those carriers and end up working at Lowe's. Something to consider. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back