• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran negotiations update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys are gonna drive yourself nuts. There's not even a TA yet. I can't blame anybody for voting down a TA once it is presented for ratification, but to do so now is ludicrous. There are arguments for both sides on whether to vote down a TA without looking at it, but I tend to think that a it's worth the time to read it.

the difference is though, it's not the "first offer" but rather the first agreement between management and our union. Not quite the same thing...
True... ;)

as you can tell, i've got nothing else to do this afternoon......
Me either, obviously. Other than taking breaks while working on cars and trucks.

You guys need to take a lesson from the APA
Agreed. Just talked with one of the higher-up union guys and they said that the target rates from the DVD are still their target rates and are in their proposal and little, if any retro can be expected.

Which means effectively a 5% pay raise ($2 to $3 dollars) each year over the term of the contract for the F/O's, leaving us firmly in the bottom 10% of major airline pay for F/O's.

While the CA's are looking at 15% raises initially, up to 45% by the end of the contract term which is essentially a $20 raise up front, up to $60 an hour towards the end).

That doesn't sound very equitable to me.

I also verified the 13 hour assignable duty day change with no change in the max (still out to 16 hours) and the elimination of the reserve pay system currently in place, not to mention zero increases in soft credits (rigs). Both of those are in scheduling Section 5 which has already been T.A.'d, so those are definitely what's coming out.

I told them because of that and the lack of any real F/O pay raise, they could count on my immediate No vote.

Pretty p*ssed off right now. I think the CA's SHOULD get a pay raise, but shooting for $20 an hour and we get barely over 10% of that isn't a fair solution.

p.s. I also heard progress was made on the Merger / Acquisition language and that it's the strongest any airline contract has ever had. They said Scope was hung up on 100-seat jets. Company wants unlimited use, union wants time limits put on them as an "experimental" basis, then they have to get rid of them or bring them in with OUR pilots flying them at OUR rates.

Last edited:
Just say NO.This will send a strong signal to BOTH sides of the negotiating table. As a pilot group we do an outstanding job of keeping this airline on time and go above and beyond for customer service, efficiency, safety and providing a quality product for an economical price. We have demonstrated our unity as a pilot group by protecting each other after 9/11. Show our unity by voting a resounding NO. Scope, schedule language, and FO pay as well as cost of living adjustments are critical. I am proud of the pilot group and it's part in the productivity of this company. We have a great product and a great pilot group. True negotiations have only started happening this year. Everything else has been peacocks strutting around the table. Just say no and put them to work.

Excellent post, you've said it all, and said it well.

4. Duty periods for all pairings will be scheduled as below:
Max Duty Period Report Time​
Max Duty Period Scheduled Time​
Actual Maximum​
0500-1059​
13 Hours​
15 Hours​
1100-1659​
12 Hours​
14 Hours​
1700-1959​
11 Hours​
13 Hours​
2000-0459​
10 Hours​
12 Hours​
Charter​
13 Hours​
15 Hours​

More to the 13 hour duty day

FO pay should be 2/3 of Captain pay - anything less is unacceptable. That is considered industry standard. I'm interested to see how many captains will vote NO if the FO pay rates are too low and the Captain pay rates are good. I doubt that we'd be able to count on them.

Latest resources

Back