AirTran negotiations update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BR715

Any word on the pilot contract. It has been very quiet and I know the company and union have been meeting. Besides the one e-mail and one president phone update about a month ago I have not heard anything from the union. Ever since Alan won the election communication has really taken a down turn. Appreciate any info from any fellow citrus flyers.

Negotiations

BR,

You are right. It's been pretty quiet and that's probably a good sign. Just my hunch, but I think we'll have something by the end of the month. Everyone has an issue or two they won't budge on. I hope I'm wrong, but the 1st TA more than likely have a few of these issues. We are coming into a good cycle in this business and I hope we don't pass something just for the sake of being done with it. Someone mentioned they would read section 4 last and that's what I'm going to try to do.

To give Alllen a little credit, communications from the NPA is by far the best that I have seen since he has been president.

Communications have vastly improved under Allen. I don't agree with alot of his strategy, but if you think communications have suffered, you weren't here previously . . . . or you're living under a rock. There have been at least three updates sent out via email in the last week. Sounds like you need to make sure they have your email, and no, it's not their job to track YOU down when you change email addresses.

Why no informational picketing? Why no strike plan annoucnement from the SPC? Are AirTran pilots "doing their jobs"? It doesn't sound like a TA is near; not a good one anyway.

"Fork Lift" Joe will give you nothing.

why does someone always have to have their mouth open? Shouldnt you be loading someones bag right now?

Last edited:
Im so tired of the "Forklift Joe" thing. Some people act as if American was the only one using this method to change engines when in fact if you took the time to do any research you would see that United and Continental were doing the same thing. It would have happened at any of those airlines it was only a matter of time.

Below taken from wikipedia..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Flight_191

"This method of engine-pylon removal saved man hours and was encouraged despite the manufacturer issuing bulletins that specified how the procedure should have taken place. These were not binding. The accident investigation also concluded that the design of the pylon and adjacent surfaces made the parts difficult to service and prone to damage by maintenance crews. According to the History Channel programme "Crash of Flight 191", United Airlines and Continental Airlines were also using a one-step procedure. After the accident, cracks were found in the bulkheads of DC10s in both fleets."

Sorry, didnt mean to hijack the thread, please continue. Getting back to the subject, I have gotten an email update just about every week.

Last edited:
The emails don't really give any information, that's the problem. I understand they're on a blackout, but when I see a Negotiating Update, I want to hear some info, not just give me dates and times and section discussed. If you can't talk about it, don't send out an email. The last one I got worth anything was the one that basically said the entire Compensation discussion was "very disappointing". At least I knew how things were progressing (or weren't progressing).

Maybe it's an F/O thing, but Section 4 is where I'm going first, followed closely by the sections rumored to have give-backs in it (Section 5). Scope is also a killer.

They keep saying that the Midwest deal is going to happen, and that will affectively double my upgrade if we go 1 for 4 like they rumored and don't put up a 5 year fence, and that's ONLY IF we order more airplanes that start arriving right after the 737 deliveries stop (I'll barely upgrade at my seniority as it is WITHOUT a merger).

I expect to be compensated for that loss in career expectations. The quick upgrade was the main reason I came here, work rules and QOL was the other. If the pay rates don't reflect that loss of upgrade or if the work rules deteriorate ANY while we're profitable, I'll simply vote NO and hope there's a lot of other people out there that feel the same way.

Latest resources

Back