AirTran MEC CYA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh the irony!

PCL and Fletch telling us how Gary is going to do business. That's rich.

Predicting Gary's next move isn't exactly your forte.

Stevie wonder could see what's comming. since I will be a bystander, Ill have a ringside seat to this train wreck.

Sounds to me like she was stupid enough to think that one pilot being downgraded caused ALL the fences to come down. The reality was the downgraded pilot lost his seat, but not the whole fence.

Sounds to me like she was stupid enough to think that one pilot being downgraded caused ALL the fences to come down. The reality was the downgraded pilot lost his seat, but not the whole fence.

You might want to listen to and read it again. Yes the whole fence, to never be seen again. Even when our Special Ed heard it, he could follow that point being made.

The way jack explained it sounded that if SWA downgraded 1 pilot then all the fences and protections come down. Did I not hear him correctly?

Remember your words when GK drops your new contract proposal on you, right now randy Babbitt is tearing it apart word by word. You won't be happy when it happens to you and it WILL happen.

Your comparing our ongoing Section Six with the SLI?

Very different my friend. About as different as your first agreement and the second.

How is Babbit tearing down our contract? Do tell..

Red,

I agree with you on both points. It is interesting.

And you are correct, SLI9 was always going to be better for the SWA pilot group vs arbitration. Period.

BTW, Where are all those protections again Max? Max? Ohhh Max.

You still believe Gary would have ever let it go to arbitration? How many times did he say he wanted a negotiated agreeement again?

Maybe Max has the answer..

If nothing else, you have seen how seen how the AirTran pilot group was presented with several "truths". It was difficult to know what the real story was with an absence of strong leadership from our Chaiman and the divided factions of subcommittees below him. Looking at how it all played out, I'm grateful for the additional seniority numbers I got versus AIP1. AIP1 would have offered a temp pay increase for CPTs prior to downgrade and FO's an earlier pay increase.

The way jack explained it sounded that if SWA downgraded 1 pilot then all the fences and protections come down. Did I not hear him correctly?

Surely you read AIP 1? You aren't taking what appears to be a biased recording as truth? Who knows how this recording was edited.....one thing for sure....Jack appears to be more than frustrated when he tells Christine to read the agreement.

You did not hear him correctly. You need to read Side Letter 9, Paragraph H and Q&A #37 and #38 again. An appendix to Side Letter 9 listed 851 AirTran Captains that were to be given Captain Retention Slots that expired on 9/27/2020. No SWA FO could upgrade until all AirTran pilots with a Captain Retention slot sitting in the right seat were offered their seat back.

There were 3 conditions that would cause a Captain Retention Slot to be surrendered forever (SL9 Para H.2 through H.4):

1. A pilot retires
2. A pilot voluntarily downgrades himself
3. A pilot with a Captain Retention Slot and sitting in the right seat bypasses his first opportunity at re-upgrade.

Let's run through an example calling it Vacancy Bid 14-A (the first vacancy bid of 2014). Let's say Vacancy Bid 14-A had a plus 15 B737 CA and minus 25 B717 CA for a net reduction of 10 CA positions (as 3 B737-800s replace 5 B717s). Since normal Southwest Captain protections apply (SL9 Para H.1) in addition to the Captain Retention slot program (SL9 Para H.2), 15 of the displaced AirTran CAs would be guaranteed B737 CA vacancies if they wanted them (Q&A #37). The other 10 B717 CAs would be involuntarily downgraded. Since the downgraded AirTran pilots had Captain Retention slots, they had to be offered re-upgrade prior to any SWA FOs upgrading regardless of system seniority.

When referring to fences coming down, the fence between fleets dropped with a net reduction of CAs (for that one month's bid). In the B717 early departure scenario, the reductions would come from the B717 side triggering the movements listed above. If it was a seasonal downgrade and B737 CA positions were reduced as well, SWA B737 CA could displace to B717 CA (and thus force junior AirTran B717 CAs to the right seat). However, those downgraded AirTran B717 CAs would not lose their Captain Retention slots.

Latest resources

Back