• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah,
FI break time

Self imposed time out-

Argue amongst yourselves about how victimized all you AT pilots were if you must

Can you feel the LUV.

I guess in your world there is no golden rule, just whatever benefits you.

Bingo. The golden rule is complete sham at SWA.

Wrong. The recent panels' decision with other labor groups (AAI/SW) prove it WAS relevant.

Wrong. Arbitral precedent outside of our profession is irrelevant.

They (AT) got a great deal. Not just good- a great one. Much better than the deal the junior half of SWA FO's got.

In no way was it a great deal for AT. I have ALL SWA pilots above me. I'll have to commute to the opposite coast vice driving to work. I will get a raise and better work rules so there are some positives. The main reason I went with AT was not a "quick" upgrade like you guys always suppose...I applied only to them so that I did not have to commute. That was going to happen no matter what the deal so there is no animosity towards fellow SWA pilots for this. It is just something I have to deal with.

The junior half of your FOs got years of "new hires" below them. That is some good furlough protection right there and better bidding power. I'm sure your junior FOs are pissed, I am not saying they shouldn't be but their anger ought to be aimed towards SC. He was the one who preached unreasonable expectations AND wanted every CA seat. He got them and then the FOs went "oh snap, We just got screwed." It is one of those, "Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it" moments.

But I know this- it's over and opinions are just pissing into the wind - so who cares-

Very true and I agree.

ill shut up

THANK YOU! :beer:

Phred

Last edited:
SWA pilots didn't fear arbitration because of where the list would have ended up. We wanted a negotiated agreement because we were told by management that they would operate you separately for long term despite our contract and ensuing court battle if we didn't make that happen. No rumors or innuendo. I was in the room when that was told to us very clearly and directly. Of course I voted no anyway, but 86? percent of us fell for it. Don't think your silly pipe dreams had anything to do with the decision.

To those of you on the FAT side who can't get over your discontent, you keep threatening the "poisoning" of the employee group for decades to come... And it is a threat. Whether you'll be an ass in the cockpit forever, or call in sick for all the holidays, or whatever it is you plan to do for revenge - we'll get through it. The only one you are going to really hurt is yourself! With that much stress you'll surely die young, ruin personal relationships, divorce, etc.

So go ahead. Ruin your life because you think you were treated unfairly. Many OSW think we got the shaft in all of this too. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm prepared to sit on the bottom and commute to weekends for the next 10 years. I can't change it. Instead I'm going to try to look at the bright side and continue to get my financial house in order in the event that [1+1=less than two] rears its ugly head and I move further backward.

In the meantime, I'm going to wave when I pass you in the terminal, even when I'm ignored... I'm going to chat with you in line at the food court, even when I'm given the evil eye... I'm going to continue to try and be pleasant in the face of this unpleasant reality because you didn't cause this merger just like we didn't cause it. We're all just bystanders.

Good post. Reverse the OSW and FAT, and it's exactly how many of us feel on the other side of the fence.

PCL,

Somewhere, someone told you that the Golden Rule and SWA went hand-in-hand. You bought it, pinned your SLI dreams to it, and now find yourself bitter and disappointed.

Sounds to me like your having a tough time coming to grips with the fact that the industry bent you over for the first time in your career.

You'll get over it. Or not.

Welcome to the airlines.

PCL,

Somewhere, someone told you that the Golden Rule and SWA went hand-in-hand. You bought it, pinned your SLI dreams to it, and now find yourself bitter and disappointed.

Oh no, not at all. My expectation is always that management is a bunch of lying snakes. I expected nothing different here, and I wasn't disappointed. I just want you guys to admit that the culture is a sham, and the golden rule at SWA is a myth.

I can't speak for outsiders, but as an employee, the company's always treated me exceptionally well. Far better than any previous airline. I'd love to make you feel better and tell you it's all just a sham, but I'm afraid I can't. I've competed against SWA and seen friends bet against them in the late 90s. All I can say is, more often than not, the company seems to find a way to win. The only difference is which side you're on. You obviously found that out the hard way. I'll always be convinced, however, that SWA initially made you an extremely fair offer. Things went downhill when you and your compadres tried to play poker and lost. I suppose eventually you'll man up and own your role in that fiasco. Until then, hoping for words from the other side to ease your pain won't help.

Last edited:
PCL,

Sounds to me like your having a tough time coming to grips with the fact that the industry bent you over for the first time in your career.

You'll get over it. Or not.

Welcome to the airlines.

PCL will never admit it, but he is one of the few folks that made out like a bandit in this debacle, more so than any OSW and even most FAT guys. If he comes over and doesn't get himself fired, he will, due to his age, be very senior on the combined list for many years.

This industry is littered with pilots that HAVE actually been bent over by it, that would give their left arms to be "bent over" in the way that he claims he's been.

Latest resources

Back