AirTran Learning From History

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PCL_128 said:
How do the stand-up (CDO) lines work with pay? Is it straight guarantee or some sort of override?
WHASSUP??!! :)

The only good thing about the CDO lines over here is that most of them are built with 14-16 days off, not the 5 on 3 off B.S. you see at PCL. Many of the CDO's are only 4 or 5 hours on the ground but they HAVE to give you AT LEAST 3 days off after a CDO or set of CDO's, so they can't build those 2 day off in between trips B.S. that you see over there. Additionally, they build the whole month that way so you can stay on a night rhythm if you really want to, unlike PCL where they mix the lines to get their 85 hours out of you.

Additionally, I've chatted with some of our guys from PCL who have been over here long enough to get off reserve and they tell me that half of the CDO lines go VERY senior to people who live in ATL and want to be home every day, don't care about making more than guarantee, and they're able to hold regular hard lines a lot sooner than you'd imagine.

You also can't trade out of your CDO's for regular trips. Saw that today in the contract and was really bummed,,, You know me, I hate high speeds.

They're right about the medical insurance, it sucks, but my wife works in a hospital so we have pretty good insurance through her so I just opted out of the medical stuff and maxed out the life insurance for everyone.

This place is great! It has its share of problems but overall, I'm happy and PCL will tell you I'm one tough bast*rd to please. If you don't like it, that's OK too, just don't come work here. :D Otherwise, come on in, the water's fine.

Lear70 said:
half of the CDO lines go VERY senior to people who live in ATL and want to be home every day, don't care about making more than guarantee, and they're able to hold regular hard lines a lot sooner than you'd imagine.

When I was at AirTran, I was one of those who bid CDOs exclusively, even when I could hold a regular line. I was senior enough to bid the good ones....MYR, JAX, etc....where I would check in around 2030, fly 45 mins to the desitnation, have over 7 hours on the ground, then fly the 45 mins back and be home at my house by 0900. I was home every day and only did them 3 days a week. And I never heard a peep from scheduling because they couldn't jack with a CDO line....no add-on turns, no reassignments, no nothing.

Now...YuppyGuppy...tell me about safe? I flew around 28 hours block and got paid for 70. I was home every day and had over 7 hours on the ground between flights. 3 days a week. It sure as sh!t beats 5-7 legs during a 14+ hour duty day. Every time.

RadioClash said:
Maybe the only major doing them, I do recall doing my fair share of them when I was at ASA.

I used to do CDOs at US Airways alot.

Mooseflyer said:
Is there really that much soft time available? 7 yr capt pay 127/hr x 85 hrs/mo x 12 mo/yr = $129,540.

Last year, I flew just over 800 hours, and was paid for 1150. That includes vacation and sick time used. Soft pay rocks.

Lear70 said:
they tell me that half of the CDO lines go VERY senior to people who live in ATL and want to be home every day, don't care about making more than guarantee, and they're able to hold regular hard lines a lot sooner than you'd imagine.

Exactly what I was thinking. I live in Newnan just 20 minutes from the airport. Leaving for work at 8pm and being home by 9am the next day sounds great to me.

You'll have to leave a little earlier than 8 to make an 8:30 check-in (the employee parking arrangement is a lot like DTW, plan 30 minutes from parking to ops), but otherwise, yeah...

If I lived in domicile, that would be fine, but if I'm going to be gone 4 days anyway, I might as well get paid better money for it and not have to have a crashpad.

Different strokes and all... :)

p.s. I think J41 was being facetious about them being dangerous and only done at airTran, note the rolleyes at the end.

Lear70 said:
p.s. I think J41 was being facetious about them being dangerous and only done at airTran, note the rolleyes at the end.

You got it. I'm not sure how CDO's are any less safe than any other flying on the back side of the clock. (ie. red eyes, tons of cargo flying, etc)

Whoops....I guess I already posted my thoughts on this subject above....

Sorry...:blush:

Last edited:
atldc9 said:
Last year, I flew just over 800 hours, and was paid for 1150. That includes vacation and sick time used. Soft pay rocks.

Not bad! That's over 25 soft hours per month - seems like a lot even considering vacation and sick.

Latest resources

Back