Airtran gets into the RJ game

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey guys,

Let's drop the personal animosity. This is one AirTran pilot who hopes the Delta guys as well as others can go back to work. There is enough flying for all of us, war in the Middle East not withstanding.

Fly safe.

Kind of interesting that the AirTran bubbas want the Air Whiskey RJ's but everybody on the outside is telling them to have one list. It might not be possible to buy RJ's right now since so many people want them - in addition, a codeshare lets them expand NOW - as Nathan Bedford Forrest said, "Get there firstest with the mostest". If they waited, the opportunity to expand might not be there in a year or so when they could get the aircraft delivered and the pilots trained. Just an observation....... and I have no dog in this fight - but it is interesting to watch.

Ask the AMC guys at Dover and Frankfort if they are flying enough?????If the Mid-east things breaks the CRAFT program will go into full swing and there will be flying for everyone.

XGmaninGA said:
Hey guys,

Let's drop the personal animosity. This is one AirTran pilot who hopes the Delta guys as well as others can go back to work. There is enough flying for all of us, war in the Middle East not withstanding.

Fly safe.

Thanks,

I wish you guys the best as well.

FlyDeltasJets said:
Just so you know, I still have the world by the balls. Delta didn't define me, and the same qualities that made me successful in my quest for Delta are making me successful in other ventures, be they educational, financial, or personal.

Yeah, look at me now. I'm still doing fine and will continue to do so.

Glad to see your Dale Carnegie evening class at the community college is paying off.

Your attitude and general outlook on life has greatly improved from a few months ago.

Last edited:
In this newfound spirit of love and peace,I'd just like to say that we,the pilots of SWA.....love everyone.

FlyDeltasJets said:

"...Fred Reid has stated (to me) that concessions would not save any pilot jobs."

"...you cannot possibly deny that the largest cost savings you enjoy come from your largest expense...labor....An airlines largest expense is emplyee wages, and it is here that low fare airlines gain the largest advantage...They pay their employees less...To assume otherwise is erroneous

"To answer your question, the "others" to whom I was referring were the many EAL scabs at AAI. Again, most (better?) of their guys are fine professionals, I do have a major problem with the scabs on their list, and CAL's, and UAL's and ours.".

Delta, it's either one or the other. How do you lower your labor cost w/out concessions?

Good back pedal on the "many/most", delta.

I’m sorry (not really) my “unprecedented scum bag low pay” ruined your party. What’s it like to have been born privileged? The more you post, the more you appear to misrepresent the Delta pilot group that I know (and I do know a few). You address someone as a wuss for not being greeted to in the terminal, I can’t speak on behalf of everybody, but every pilot I know could give a flying rat’s a$$. The more I read your messages, the more your appear to regard yourself as a Harvard graduate while looking down on the rest as 2 year community state college drop outs.

As for your other post, such as “setting the bar in the name of professionalism, outsourcing to lower wage carriers, blah-blah-blah, so forth”– I have this to say: market forces! Learn it. Live it. Love it. – because you can’t change them. It starts with the low paying customer. BTW, if concessions don’t save jobs, how does losing a job save one? –Ask anyone of your 1,500 flight attendants to be soon let go. Wait a minute, that must be another “positive” pressure from management, as per your definition of “positive.” I get it. BTW, I bet they now wish they’d unionize for their poor sake when they had a chance.

Thus far I haven’t seen anyone out to insult your pilot group. Do people resort to their roots when they stereotype? – sure! See, no one is as God-like as you & some may even lose their cool as their livelyhoods are at stake. I, as you, too, enjoy flying. I bet your 930 some fellow pilots, too, wish they were flying. So, why wouldn’t it be an honorable thing to do for the “have’s” to be so considerate so as to lower “the bar” enough to get the “have not’s” their jobs back (which is what we did-or would you classify this as scabbing - working for lower wages)? Put your ALPA “professionalism” aside and speak your heart. Management didn’t ask for concessions? – get a life. Like they haven’t seen ALPA’s recent response to concessions. You say, “someone else told you concessions aren’t needed to try to help my company survive against all odds.”- I say, “put your own wit to work on this one.”

skydash said:
In this newfound spirit of love and peace,I'd just like to say that we,the pilots of SWA.....love everyone.

Guys, don't drop your soap when you shower.

(I guess, if you do, turn your back towards the wall).

crosscut said:
Delta, it's either one or the other. How do you lower your labor cost w/out concessions?

------Was kind of hoping others would raise theirs so all of us don't have to lower ours.

Good back pedal on the "many/most", delta.

-------No backpeadal, but again, if you want to look for insult, you'll probably find it, even when none was intended.

I’m sorry (not really) my “unprecedented scum bag low pay” ruined your party.

-----Why the quotes? I didn't say anything like that?

What’s it like to have been born privileged?

---------You're right. I was born a Delta pilot. I didn't work for it at all.

The more you post, the more you appear to misrepresent the Delta pilot group that I know (and I do know a few). You address someone as a wuss for not being greeted to in the terminal, I can’t speak on behalf of everybody, but every pilot I know could give a flying rat’s a$$.

-------Read the thread "who says hi in the terminal." I called the guys who complained about it wusses. I realize that most don't care. I don't either. That was my point. The guys who complain about such things do. If you don't complain, I don't know why you felt the need to respond.

The more I read your messages, the more your appear to regard yourself as a Harvard graduate while looking down on the rest as 2 year community state college drop outs.

---------Oh please. I spoke of market forces and our options. If you found insult or arragance in that, I really don't know what to tell you.

As for your other post, such as “setting the bar in the name of professionalism, outsourcing to lower wage carriers, blah-blah-blah, so forth”– I have this to say: market forces! Learn it. Live it. Love it. – because you can’t change them.

-----Really? I didn't realize that. I suppose we may as well disband our unions, because their very purpose is to give us some degree of protection from "market forces."

It starts with the low paying customer. BTW, if concessions don’t save jobs, how does losing a job save one?

--------While concessions would certainly save money, our president himself said that they would only keep as many pilots as they need, concessions or not. Want to argue, call him. I'm jus tthe messenger.

–Ask anyone of your 1,500 flight attendants to be soon let go. Wait a minute, that must be another “positive” pressure from management, as per your definition of “positive.” I get it. BTW, I bet they now wish they’d unionize for their poor sake when they had a chance.

---------Our wages put positive pressure on other pilot's wages. It's called pattern bargaining, and it has worked for years. We used contributions of other groups, now I hope they use ours. If you want to twist my point, feel free, but most on here are smart enough to know what I meant. As for the f/a's, you'll have to ask them.

Thus far I haven’t seen anyone out to insult your pilot group.

------Wow, you aren't looking very hard. DBA comes to mind pretty easily.

Do people resort to their roots when they stereotype? – sure! See, no one is as God-like as you & some may even lose their cool as their livelyhoods are at stake.

-------"God-like?" I'm glad we aren't being sarcastic and insulting. You'll notice I don't resort to name-calling.

I, as you, too, enjoy flying. I bet your 930 some fellow pilots, too, wish they were flying. So, why wouldn’t it be an honorable thing to do for the “have’s” to be so considerate so as to lower “the bar” enough to get the “have not’s” their jobs back (which is what we did-or would you classify this as scabbing - working for lower wages)?

------Did you miss the part when the president of Delta said that concessions wouldn't reduce the furloughs? And no, despite your apparant paranoia, I know what scabbing is and only use the classification when I mean it. BTW, I never said I have a problem with temporary concessions on your part. It was not I who brough them up to insult your group, it was people from your side who brought them up to insult our "selfishness."

Put your ALPA “professionalism” aside and speak your heart. Management didn’t ask for concessions? – get a life. Like they haven’t seen ALPA’s recent response to concessions. You say, “someone else told you concessions aren’t needed to try to help my company survive against all odds.”- I say, “put your own wit to work on this one.”

------------If and when concessions are needed, I will support them. I will not, however, fund another price war. When a plan is presented, we will examine it. However, keep in mind that when we give, others at other airlines will have to follow, or their advantage dries up. Something to think about.

Latest resources

Back