Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran FO suspended for dropping family off at circus in uniform...WTF?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I guess everyone had better bring their uniform to work, check in, then change (of course where do you do that). I'm sure a few flights might leave on time.

There is a big difference between 9E and AAI.

9E management would NEVER try something like this. First and foremost, they lose almost all their termination battles, and have a bad habit of not staying one step ahead of the Association. They're a very REactive management group.

Second, 9E legal counsel hasn't been doing aviation but for the last 5 years or so, and although DW and BC have been around aviation for years, legal counsel wouldn't ever authorize that kind of attack. Weren't there like 50+ pilots that picketed on Nonconnah with a giant rat symbolizing management? None of those guys got tagged, and this was just a guy stopping by the circus with his kids before a trip...

The few termination cases at 9E in recent years either resulted in major 6-figure settlements or are the result of reactionary "knee-jerk" responses to limit their liability (CG up in TVC) which will likely be overturned in grievance. 9E, to my knowledge, never went after anyone in the union who "rocked the boat", even with me, as outspoken as I was about flight and duty issues, contract compliance, etc.

AAI's legal counsel is running the show, for the most part, and they've been doing nothing but airline union busting for over 30 years. They're good at it, but their playbook is old - they figure they will tie the person up in litigation for years, settle the cases, worst case have to reinstate the pilots later, and maybe intimidate enough pilots to sneak concessions through or, at the very least, limit AirTran's pilot's expectations for a new contract, thus paying for the settlements and keeping pilots under their thumb for years to come.

What they don't realize, just like during negotiations, is who makes up their pilot group. A larger and larger group of pilots are voting for change. They may not be as outspoken, but they're not going to tolerate this kind of treatment, nor are they going to sign for pay cuts or work rule give-aways.

It's ruthless, in a way 9E never was. Sure, 9E has kept their pilots contained for many years, but most other companies are doing the same thing as 9E, and none of them, that I can think of, would suspend their pilots for what AAI management tagged this guy for.

As a lurker, I've always enjoyed your take on AAI. Was your situation ever resolved?

Nope, still in litigation, and looks to remain that way for at least a couple more years, because the company won't let it go to arbitration and the lawsuits will take that long to get to trial...

Long, painful process... sucks. Just taking it day by day, thanks for asking though.

just thinking out loud, but if this was the first time this was enforced, despite becoming a rule months ago, then it appears the company is in violation of the status quo, and I'd suggest you guys sue. Make no mistake, the company will come after you (due to the fantastic job UAL ALPA did in court). It's going to look much better if their move looks like retaliation....

Also, was this a private event? I'm having trouble understanding how they can enforce a ban on what you wear at a private (non-public) event.

Even better...

If you guys don't start wearing clown suits to shareholder meetings, press functions, company functions etc, well, then you're missing a great opportunity!

...hire professional clowns for those events with the little cars and juggling the whole bit. that would be hilarious and send a message.

I think you need to get about 200 Airtran pilots to all go to the same circus in Uniform 3 days before Thanksgiving...take pictures of each other, invite the media, etc. If management wants to suspend everyone for 5 days they can do it immediately :)

The guys in MCO really stirred the hornet's nest this time. Instead of picking on a junior FO with known union associations, they pick on a mil., clean record FO on his way to deployment. Now they even have bad press to worry about.

I am dissapointed in our President BF for allowing this petty type of behavior to start from within the management of this airline. This gentleman deserves a full public apology plus double time pay for his losses.
If Bob has a problem with the NPA, he needs to stand up to the NPA. That was a cheap shot, stab in the back move. How can anyone get behind a CEO that acts like this?

Crow, is this the first time you have noticed such bad practice? Because I can point out a ton of other stuff. This is not an isolated incidence. More like a pattern of abuse.

Latest resources

Back