Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran FO suspended for dropping family off at circus in uniform...WTF?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good luck guys.

If I am not mistaken, this is how ALPA was voted in at Midwest, company suspended a pilot and there was an outrage, I stand to be corrected though.

ALPA is probably a done deal, anyway, but I bet this gives another 10 point boost to the vote numbers...

I am hoping that, with ALPA on property, the AirTran ALPA MEC will organize the pilots to attend the next shareholder's meeting... IN UNIFORM. Go ahead, suspend 100-150 line guys and see how staffing works for THAT.

So I'm not a lawyer, but wouldn't the best course of action be to have hundreds of pilots begin wearing their uniforms to union functions? If they are not all fired, this pilot in question could then claim he is being held to a different standard than the rest of the pilot group.
Before the strike Comair pilots were showing up at the welfare office in uniform, to pick up stamps.

The only part of my uniform the Company has any say over is the stuff they issued me or that has their logo on . . . . which is my wings and hat brass.

The rest of it wasn't even purchased from their crappy supplier. . . .

The pilot in question has been at Airtran since the fall of 2005. He was not on probation. If he was I'm sure he would have been fired. They threatened to fire all the probabtion guys last year until the union caved and management agreed to furlough them instead of fire. Then promptly started calling them back 4 months later.

Is there some sort of statement in the CBA with AirTran that prohibits wearing the uniform at union or union-sanctioned events? I'm no contract expert, but the three that I've operated under had no such provision (at least not to my recollection...), and, can't we all wear union pins on our uniforms? If this is the case here, then it would seem the crew member in question shouldn't have a problem winning this battle. And to go with it, the pilot group as a whole has a golden opportunity to stick it back in their faces. Take advantage of it! Unity goes a looooong way, especially in cases like this.

Last edited:
The problem is the company "Policy and Procedures Handbook" that came out a while back.

Our "stellar" legal counsel, despite NUMEROUS warnings from previous NPA officers to IMMEDIATELY notify the company the handbook was contrary to the contract in several areas and would cause problems later, failed to challenge that handbook at the time. Now, after so much time has passed, it becomes VERY difficult to do in court.

The company has slowly started using that handbook to discipline pilots. One of the policies is that the uniform, unless permission is obtained from management, in writing, in advance, may not be worn ANYWHERE away from work.

I would argue that a STRICT interpretation means you can't even put it on at the house and drive TO work or go home AFTER work with it on. Seriously, how absurd do you have to get? A guy can't stop at the circus on his way in to drop off the fam? How about stopping for gas so you don't run out on your way IN to work?

I don't know how many times I've jumpseated home, ditched the tie and epaulets, and walked into the grocery store before I get home, but the wings are still on the shirt 'cause I hadn't thought to take them off. So that gets someone a permanent mark on their record?

I'd like to know who issued the suspension... Klaus? Kolski?

What a disgrace this company's management is... Shameful, and right before the guy goes back on Mil leave and heads over to the sandbox. What a way to say "Thanks for your service".

Lear he hasn't even heard from the company. I talked to him yesterday and he was told by the NPA the company mailed him a letter on Friday. He hadn't even told his wife about it. Hell, he was still on a trip!

Nice. Not even a meeting with Floy where he can explain he wasn't conducting a "work action", just dropping the kiddos at a union function, and he just gets the suspension letter in the MAIL...?

I'd ask to back the suspension up to days off, over his next 5-day trip, and take a vacation with the fam over that 9-12 day period. Might as well take advantage of it.

Latest resources

Back